Mike Shula

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I may be wrong, but it seemed that Shula took a lot of 4 star players with questions on character, which resulted in a mess when coach Saban got here. Many had talent, but were not the type that Coach Saban would have recruited. I was was happy to see a few like Javier and Ro buy onto the program, because many did not and it was frustrating.

It's not bad to bring up the Mike's. Just for a little perspective on how good we have it today.
I don't know if that's true or not either, but he was in the difficult position of having fewer scholarships and a post-season ban. So, how many "quality" players actually wanted to come to Alabama? You have to remember, LSU had already gotten their hands into the Mobile area and Auburn was beginning their 6 game win streak.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
For a guy with such an even personality (aside from the profanity on the sideline), Mike Shula sure does generate a lot of passion, pro and con. Applied then; applies now, even nine years on.
In retrospect, best altar boy 'Bama's ever had for a head coach.

Also in retrospect, if only Sonnyboy Shula had landed Tebow...where would Cam Newton be now besides Best Buy, doing iPad demos as community service?

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
He'll be a better coach for what he did at Alabama. Although I was student at the time, and the founder of FireMikeShula.net, looking back, I kind of feel like he served his purpose. That purpose was to get us through some hard times, and do it the right way.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
He'll be a better coach for what he did at Alabama. Although I was student at the time, and the founder of FireMikeShula.net, looking back, I kind of feel like he served his purpose. That purpose was to get us through some hard times, and do it the right way.
I always felt like that was his purpose. We needed someone who would do things on the up-and-up, who would "hold the rope", and who was expendable if he didn't work out. He served his purpose and he has the money to show for it, but in the short-term, his stint at Alabama probably hurt his career. So, i wish we would dispense with this notion that he was paid enough money that we shouldn't feel the least bit sorry that he and the University parted ways as they did.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I don't know if that's true or not either, but he was in the difficult position of having fewer scholarships and a post-season ban. So, how many "quality" players actually wanted to come to Alabama. You have to remember, LSU had already gotten their hands into the Mobile area and Auburn was beginning their 6 game win streak.
Yes, it had everything to do with probation.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Exactly. He stepped into a very bad situation. He ws dealing with the fallout from DuBose, Fran and Price. The NCAA was at the height of their power and arrogance and had hammered Bama as hard as they could. Shula kept the program together, kept it out of trouble and handed a foundation over to CNS. Given the situation, the fact that he did not win much was understandable and excusable.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Shula is a great QB coach, but never thought he was much more. As much as it pains me, I believe Newton deserves as much credit for their offensive success as Shula. Glad Shula is having success.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Shula is a great QB coach, but never thought he was much more. As much as it pains me, I believe Newton deserves as much credit for their offensive success as Shula. Glad Shula is having success.
The guy is a true freak athlete. Excuse me while go get my fingers amputated

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Cam is a coachable football player, Shula has proven that. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. The good head coaches know how to handle the horses who won't drink,Shula does not.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Without probation, Shula is an 8-5 coach with the occasional ten win season. There was no discipline, no accountability for players or coaches, and no plan to win. With age comes wisdom, and I expect him to get another chance, but let's not make excuses.
thats exactly it, he was immature and didn't know how to handle it. So it all fell apart. I don't think anyone is arguing that Mike Shula was great. What I don't get is the animosity towards him from some fans (and I have no idea your position) He was the guy we could get at the time, he came in under unbelievably bad circumstances and as far as we can tell didn't try to cut corners or make anything substantially worse. He did his best and left the program better than he found it, even without having a clue how to the job.

I say we all just thank him for what he did and where we are now and move on.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
And their defense deserves more credit for their offensive success than either of those guys.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Other than the fact I don't like how he ran the program as far as discipline and such goes, I have no animosity toward him. But I do get angry when people act like we "done him wrong" or whatever in the way we handled his termination. I also don't agree that we should just be thankful he came. He wasn't the only person who would have taken that job, and we gave him an opportunity he could never have expected. We don't owe him anything.
It could've been worse and could've been better in how we handled it, but the writing was on the wall after the msu game. I know people who went to that game and they said walking out of that game was weird in the fact that people weren't so mad and pretty much optimistic of getting a new coach. It was like everyone was forecasting getting rid of him.

I will say that how kiffin was fired at usc and Oakland was 100x worse than how Shula was fired, but I think had we pulled the trigger on Shula after the msu game or more quickly then no one would have an argument for him being done wrong.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I will say that how kiffin was fired at usc and Oakland was 100x worse than how Shula was fired, but I think had we pulled the trigger on Shula after the msu game or more quickly then no one would have an argument for him being done wrong.
My greatest "fear" was that Sonnyboy Shula was going to be the second coming of Rev. Richt record-wise, with a perennial 9-10 wins a year, and given the program's prior history from Dumbo onward, that kind of faux-stellar W-L record would appease the fan base forever. And 'Bama would never again be 'Bama but for the odd coincidence. (In other words, NCs about as coincidental as 4th quarter comebacks achieved on Sonnyboy's watch - never.)

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My greatest "fear" was that Sonnyboy Shula was going to be the second coming of Rev. Richt record-wise, with a perennial 9-10 wins a year, and given the program's prior history from Dumbo onward, that kind of faux-stellar W-L record would appease the fan base forever. And 'Bama would never again be 'Bama but for the odd coincidence. (In other words, NCs about as coincidental as 4th quarter comebacks achieved on Sonnyboy's watch - never.)
Hey, I'll admit I would have been one of those that would have been happy with 9-10 wins a year IF we played .500 or better against the Barn, Vols, and LSU. At that time, I feared the balance of power had permanently shifted to Florida.

I've never had any ill feelings for Mike Shula. The thumb ring was a tough pill to swallow.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I was watching ESPN this afternoon reviewing the NFL championship games from yesterday. Mike was given a lot of love as the OC and QB coach as the Panthers were one of the top scoring offenses in the league. If the Panthers win the superbowl with $cam, we should give Shula his due for teaching a lying, cheating Barner, how to play in the NFL. Yes, I know, $cam was a good player when he was first in the draft, but Shula certainly molded him.
Cam Newton didn't need a great or even good OC to be great. He's the most dominant individual football player I've ever seen. Cam Newton has the ability to make Mike Shula a "Great", OC. Mike Shula doesn't have the capability to make Cam Newton a great QB. All Carolina really does is run Auburns option offense. It's pretty simple. It's very smart that Shula decided to do that, but he's not the football genius everyone tries to make him. And no, he was not a good coach at Bama.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
most young QBs struggle when they get to the NFL. the game is so much faster. the fact that he is playing better is just what good QB's do as they gain NFL experience. has nothing to do with being molded into what we see today. the Panthers sucked before Cam i think going 2-14 a couple years before he got there and winning only 6 games the year before. people just refuse to give the dude any credit.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Oh boy, another Mike Shula thread. I can't wait for the next one that is likely to show up sometime in the 2nd qtr of 2016.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.