Mike Shula

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I just don't see how people can say this given that Newton and Carolina were decent to good in his first few years and have made a massive leap in the last couple of years. It is just not the case that Newton dominated early in his career, and had it not been for Shula, I think it is entirely possible that he would have gone the way of other, similar QBs.
He has definitely developed from his first couple of years in the NFL. The dominant referall was to when he was in college. I've never seen anything like it. Of course he's still pretty darn dominant when he needs to be. I just look at their offense and it so darn simple. I think Denver will figure them out. I'll give Shula at least some of the credit for Cam's development but not a whole lot.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
So, the only reason this thread is on our board is because Mike Shula is the OC for Newton's team that is going to the Super Bowl. He could be considered a failure as our head coach but I would submit that it was not so much his failure as it was ours. I mean, he should have never been put in that position in the first place. He should never have been a candidate. But at that snapshot in time he served a purpose...steadied the ship so to speak. I am appreciative for his dedication as a player and also for his time as our head coach. He did the best he could and he did it in a first class way. He cut his teeth coaching wise as a quarterbacks coach in the NFL and now proving to be an adequate coordinator. Cam makes him look brilliant at times but that is true for most coaches - elite players make everyone around them look good. This is a unique story for us Tide fans but that is it. Win or lose things will not change after Sunday. Cam will always be a supreme athlete with questionable character and Mike will be a highly respectable career position coach/coordinator in the NFL.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Again, I have no idea how Shula would do as a HC. I don't think that his success as an OC or QB coach answers that question. And I also don't think that his failure as a HC at Alabama decides anything, either. Remember, Belichick once failed miserably as a HC, returned to his role as a DC, later becoming the greatest HC in the history of the NFL.

You never know.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
And if memory serves, he had the NCAA to deal with and he brought dignity and no matter what stability at a time bama really needed it ;)

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Did he call the game? They were sure running the ball a lot down 2 scores with less than 4 minutes. Reminded me of that bad ole days.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.