Mike Shula

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I was watching ESPN this afternoon reviewing the NFL championship games from yesterday. Mike was given a lot of love as the OC and QB coach as the Panthers were one of the top scoring offenses in the league. If the Panthers win the superbowl with $cam, we should give Shula his due for teaching a lying, cheating Barner, how to play in the NFL. Yes, I know, $cam was a good player when he was first in the draft, but Shula certainly molded him.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I always have thought Shula could've succeeded had he hired the right assistants and heeded the advice of Mal Moore and others. It seemed like he wanted to be a friend and teammate, not a coach/father figure and therefore, players were allowed to blowoff workouts, party a little too much etc. That said, I'm glad he failed and didn't get Tebow b/c we never would've had Saban....

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
I always have thought Shula could've succeeded had he hired the right assistants and heeded the advice of Mal Moore and others. It seemed like he wanted to be a friend and teammate, not a coach/father figure and therefore, players were allowed to blowoff workouts, party a little too much etc. That said, I'm glad he failed and didn't get Tebow b/c we never would've had Saban....
I believe he was told to do whatever, just to hold the program together. I don't think Mal ever thought this would be the coach to bring back the glory days. Just keep it together, son.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
he was just young and immature and not ready for the keys to this program.

I'm sure that he will do well in the future somewhere else, and I thank him for everything he did for us. I know he made millions but he also paid a hefty price for his time here and he should be applauded for that sacrifice. I hate when I hear Bama fans bad mouth him (And I know that you are not) as he stepped at a time that was likely a guarantee of failure and he largely held everything together.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Don't kid yourself, Newton has made Shula an NFL OC, made Malzahn the current HC at auburn and Chizik a NC head coach. Without Newton Malzahn and Chizik would all be at the FCS level or at best mid major coaches and in the case of Shula, running one of dad's steak houses.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Don't kid yourself, Newton has made Shula an NFL OC, made Malzahn the current HC at auburn and Chizik a NC head coach. Without Newton Malzahn and Chizik would all be at the FCS level or at best mid major coaches and in the case of Shula, running one of dad's steak houses.
I agree, when we lost Brodie, we were left with quarterbacks that could not hit the side of a barn, pitiful. If he was going to be good for something, I thought it would be recruiting and developing quarterbacks. Brodie was a Franny recruit. Anyone think GMAC would have played in the NFL without CNS and McElwain? He probably would have been injured.

Anyone could be Scam's quarterback coach and look good.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
this X1000... people fail to see the type of player Cam is. He'd make any coach look good. dude is carrying another team to another title.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If you can't tell Cam has improved as a passer and a pocket passer under Shula, I'm not sure you've watched him at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
If you can't tell Cam has improved as a passer and a pocket passer under Shula, I'm not sure you've watched him at all.

Yep. Cam actually can go through progressions. Something he couldn't do in college & his first few years in the NFL. Shula has done well with developing him.

UAinAthens

Scout Team
Jul 5, 2001
gmail.com
Shula's success as a QB coach goes beyond Cam Newton. I agree as an OC this success is due to the current talent, and I don't know if he'll every be a great HC, but he's been successful multiple times as a QB coach. He took some very average QB and improved their success. As an OC, I didn't think much before this year, but as a QB coach I think is a pretty good one. Trent Dilfer had his best performance with CMS, Jay Feidler had his only good years under him, and he was able to get to the NFC championship game with Shaun King one year.

I don't think he's ever had the talent that Newton has before but he's done pretty good with what he's had.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Shula is a good X and O's coach; heck he was an NFL OC in his early thirties before coming to Bama. But, too be the head coach at Bama you have too be a Bad azz; which he is not.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I wish Mike Shula nothing the best. He was one of my favorite players. Unfortunately, he didn't have the experience or temperament to be the head coach at Bama.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think Shula is good but I could look like a good OC with Cam back there - I know he's not well-liked around here, but the dude is incredibly talented.

Last edited:

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
God certainly blessed Cam Newton with athletic ability. He blessed Gus Malzhan, Gene Chizik, and now Mike Shula with Cam Newton. Too bad Cam is such a fake and egotistical jerk.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Mike Shula's first two years as OC weren't anything special. Newton's development is probably a bigger influence on the improved performance in 2015. Shula can claim some of that development but Cam is the one who has to dedicate himself for the majority of the offseason.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
I think Shula is good but I could look like a good OC with Cam back there - I know he's not well-liked around here, but the dude is incredibly talented.
Brady would be great with or without Belichick, Brees with or without Peyton, and Cam with or without Shula. Cam may have improved under Shula or it could just be chalked up to getting experienced.

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
You're right he's incredibly talented and Shula has helped him hone his talents into a great all-around QB. It's most evident in Cam's ability to now read defenses and go through progressions. He couldn't do that the first few years in the NFL & definitely didn't learn that under Malzahn's tutelage. Cam has always had great talent & was a very good QB. With Shula's help he's become great. This is more than Cam making Shula look good as a play caller. Of course Cam would make any OC look great. It's been Shula's work as his QB coach that has benefited Cam the most.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
I'm definitely of the belief that Cam is creating Shula.... not a person with any sense in the world will credit Shula with some miracle work.

I'd say the biggest credit for Cam's growth is Cam maturing and working harder. I don't necessarily believe Shula is doing anything amazing. You think Shula is the only coach that would attempt or has attempted to teach Newton to make his reads, and study defenses? Maturity and most of all experience makes a difference. But, with that said, he's doing his job and creating scenarios where Cam and the other talent can succeed in what they do....can't take that away from him.

Good job Mike.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.