Who says the SEC doesn't produce NFL Quarterbacks?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Both QB's in the Super Bowl are from the SEC. Is this the first time that has happened? Two SEC QB's going at it in the Super Bowl? I cannot think of any other time that this has happened.

Just another factoid for Colin Cowherd and Joe Klatt to choke on.

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Former Georgia Bulldog Fran Tarkenton's Minnesota Vikings played former Alabama QB Ken Stabler's Oakland Raiders in the Super Bowl in 1977.

So yes, it has happened before!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Both QB's in the Super Bowl are from the SEC. Is this the first time that has happened? Two SEC QB's going at it in the Super Bowl? I cannot think of any other time that this has happened.

Yes! Now, where are all those Big 12-2 QB's?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

This is the third time both Super Bowl QBs have been from the SEC:
2016: Manning (UT) / Newton (AU)
2007: Manning (UT) / Grossman (UF)
1977: Tarkenton (UGA) / Stabler (BAMA)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is the third time both Super Bowl QBs have been from the SEC:
2016: Manning (UT) / Newton (AU)
2007: Manning (UT) / Grossman (UF)
1977: Tarkenton (UGA) / Stabler (BAMA)
Wow. I had forgot about Rex Grossman making the super bowl with the Bears that year. Well, IIRC, the Bears that year were built on special teams and defense so they made it to the Superbowl in spite of Grossman. Kind of like the year Trent Dilfer was the QB when the Ravens went to the Superbowl..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Wow. I had forgot about Rex Grossman making the super bowl with the Bears that year. Well, IIRC, the Bears that year were built on special teams and defense so they made it to the Superbowl in spite of Grossman. Kind of like the year Trent Dilfer was the QB when the Ravens went to the Superbowl..
Or Manning making it this year...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If I'm looking at this right, the only other times conferences had both guys a QB in the game were:

XXV - Hostetler, Kelly (but note those two teams were Independents, NOT in the Big East when those guys were there)
XXXIII - Chandler, Elway were Pac Ten

Although you might include XIX, when both Marino and Montana were Independents as well.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
I hate that they come from Tennessee and Auburn. Just can't get too excited about pulling for either QB when one of them beat us 3 out of 4 times and the other led the most gut-wrenching comeback in school history against us on our home field. Yuck!

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
I hate that they come from Tennessee and Auburn. Just can't get too excited about pulling for either QB when one of them beat us 3 out of 4 times and the other led the most gut-wrenching comeback in school history against us on our home field. Yuck!
While that is a bummer, just remember how many Heisman Trophies, SEC championships and National Titles we've won since. It'll provide a little aloe.

Not to mention Coach Saban is undefeated against Tennessee and 6-3 against Auburn.

Last edited:

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
If I'm looking at this right, the only other times conferences had both guys a QB in the game were:

XXV - Hostetler, Kelly (but note those two teams were Independents, NOT in the Big East when those guys were there)
XXXIII - Chandler, Elway were Pac Ten

Although you might include XIX, when both Marino and Montana were Independents as well.
Also last year, with Brady (Michigan) and Wilson (Wisconsin).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.