Beginning of the end in Burns?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Remember that this all started with an illegal "burn". While "protesters" didn't get prosecuted these "ranchers" did.

I have no problem with the prosecution and believe they all should be punished for their crimes.

I do have a problem with the fact that they had served the punishment decreed by the people and then the almighty government deciding it wasn't enough and sent them back to prison for the same crime they had already served time for. Double jeopardy without a trial by your peers is a violation of Amendments Xlll and
XlV. That should have been the fight instead of armed conflict by BOTH parties.
It is not double jeopardy. I explained that way above...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's not Double Jeopardy. Double Jeopardy is being tried twice for the same crime. Sentences can, and are regularly, appealed by both sides.
This was a particularly egregious situation, where despite a very checkered legal history, they were given a slap on the wrist instead of the mandatory minimum sentence. A sweetheart deal for them all the way...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I can walk down the street armed whether it be with my CHL or open carry and still protest peacefully can't I?
Silly argument - they literally took over a building.

I get that you're trying to somehow make this 'peaceful' but frankly, it makes you look rather crazy. I'm an avid shooter with my carry permit, but I'm not dumb enough to take over a government building whilst armed and pretend that I'm being peaceful.

If these men were muslims I suspect you'd be far less quick to defend their terroristic actions...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Silly argument - they literally took over a building.

I get that you're trying to somehow make this 'peaceful' but frankly, it makes you look rather crazy. I'm an avid shooter with my carry permit, but I'm not dumb enough to take over a government building whilst armed and pretend that I'm being peaceful.

If these men were muslims I suspect you'd be far less quick to defend their terroristic actions...
Let's be clear. They took over an unoccupied building. It's not like they came in guns blazing terrorizing park rangers or other government employees.

If these were Muslims, 1) they would have taken hostages and executed them and 2) blown up the building to make a point. So, you're comparing apples to oranges in that case.

These guys feel they have a legitimate beef with what they perceive to be an overreaching government. They also feel that the guys being sent back to jail for burning federal lands, to protect their own property because the BLM was not caring for the land, are being held to a double standard than the BLM crews who set unattended fires to BLM land that crossed over to private land and killed scores of cattle and burned down private residences as well.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Let's be clear. They took over an unoccupied building. It's not like they came in guns blazing terrorizing park rangers or other government employees.
Explain to me why they had guns if this was a peaceful takeover of public property, akin to a 'sit in' (which is an actual peaceful protest).

If these were Muslims, 1) they would have taken hostages and executed them and 2) blown up the building to make a point. So, you're comparing apples to oranges in that case.
An assumption. The reality is that if muslims had done the same thing as these terrorists have you'd be calling for Hellfires and napalm.

These guys feel they have a legitimate beef with what they perceive to be an overreaching government. They also feel that the guys being sent back to jail for burning federal lands, to protect their own property because the BLM was not caring for the land, are being held to a double standard than the BLM crews who set unattended fires to BLM land that crossed over to private land and killed scores of cattle and burned down private residences as well.
Who cares what they think they have? There are avenues to deal with it, and if they don't like them, tough. We aren't allowed to grab rifles and take over other people's property (under the obvious threat of violence) just because we think things are unfair.

These dirtbags are terrorists and should be dealt with accordingly.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Who cares what they think they have? There are avenues to deal with it, and if they don't like them, tough. We aren't allowed to grab rifles and take over other people's property (under the obvious threat of violence) just because we think things are unfair.

Just like the colonists did with King George...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Explain to me why they had guns if this was a peaceful takeover of public property, akin to a 'sit in' (which is an actual peaceful protest).

An assumption. The reality is that if muslims had done the same thing as these terrorists have you'd be calling for Hellfires and napalm.

can I un-dislike? Clicked the wrong button

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
LOL, so in your mind, if one has any problem with the government an armed revolution is the way to handle it?

ETA: and yes, the founding fathers were treasonous terrorists, and had they lost their bid for freedom it's how we would view them today. But they had far more support from those around them as all were being oppressed. These clowns think they have a claim (which is debatable), but have virtually zero support from the rest of the population because virtually no one feels that we're living under tyranny.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
LOL, so in your mind, if one has any problem with the government an armed revolution is the way to handle it?

ETA: and yes, the founding fathers were treasonous terrorists, and had they lost their bid for freedom it's how we would view them today. But they had far more support from those around them as all were being oppressed. These clowns think they have a claim (which is debatable), but have virtually zero support from the rest of the population because virtually no one feels that we're living under tyranny.
You make an interesting point. They actually - from their statements - do believe that there are millions across the country willing and able to take up arms with them against the government. That's how far out of reality they are...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't understand where you're coming from. Are you in favor of a windfall of our public lands into their hands, do you think they're in the right in taking up arms against federal, state and local government, or are you just enjoying playing Devil's Advocate. It's not clear at all what your position is...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
You make an interesting point. They actually - from their statements - do believe that there are millions across the country willing and able to take up arms with them against the government. That's how far out of reality they are...
I think it is a side effect of our modern connected culture and the self imposed bubbles in which many of us now live.

these guys and guys on many other conspiratorial causes for lack of a better way of describing them find each other online and then only really communicate with each other. They squash any dissent among their ranks and their community then gets large enough that someone outside or in realizes that they can monetize the cause (like Alex Jones, etc) by playing into it. The bubble grows, the feedback loop gets stronger and they don't really ever see the other side so before long they start to feel as if they are at a tipping point where one act will clear the blinders off the general public and seem them as the revolutionary heros that they clearly feel themselves to be. I watched it unfold among the 9/11 truthers a decade or so ago and it was hysterical in its own way. What concerns me is when one goes too far as is bound to happen sooner or later

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I don't understand where you're coming from. Are you in favor of a windfall of our public lands into their hands, do you think they're in the right in taking up arms against federal, state and local government, or are you just enjoying playing Devil's Advocate. It's not clear at all what your position is...
I'm taking over 92's professional agitator role. ;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm taking over 92's professional agitator role. ;)
lOL! Understand. Actually, I probably blew any chance at government employment forever coming out of law school. I applied for a position with the DOJ, tax division. It was just for giggles, since I'd decided to go to NYU. In the app, there was a question reading "Do you believe in the violent overthrow of lawfully constituted authority?" (exact wording, after all these years) I responded with one word - "Whose?"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.