ESPN analyst Chris Fowler describes onside kick practice--Clemson board reacts

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
ESPN analyst Chris Fowler was on the Paul Finebaum show on Wednesday and discussed the crucial onside kick play during the National Championship game between Clemson and Alabama.

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/ESPN-analyst-discusses-Alabamas-onside-kick-Clemson-22260?ref=best-front

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Dadgum..I really really hate the format of that Clemson Board where you have to literally have to click on each post to read it..It makes ya appreciate our TideFans format cause it's superior to that board..Just like our football team is superior to their's as well..It must suck to be a Clemson Fan..LOL

Last edited:
Dadgum..I really really hate the format of that Clemson Board where you have to literally have to click on each post to read it..t'sakes ya appreciate our TideFans format cause is superior to that board..Just like our football team is superior to there's as well..It must suck to be a Clemson Fan..LOL
Yeah it does suck!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Dadgum..I really really hate the format of that Clemson Board where you have to literally have to click on each post to read it..It makes ya appreciate our TideFans format cause it's superior to that board..Just like our football team is superior to there's as well..It must suck to be a Clemson Fan..LOL
They are the barn with a lake. What do you think?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Loved the attempt to hijack the thread at the outset - sorcery. :biggrin:

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Maybe Clemson should have thought to do something more basic to enhance their chances of winning, like cover the TE.
It was the onside kick that sealed their doom.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Maybe Clemson should have thought to do something more basic to enhance their chances of winning, like cover the TE.
What's funny is their continued insistence that the reason for the TD was the absence of their hotshot DB. Anyone could see it was scheme and not personnel which accounted for them. In fact, one TD was on the opposite side of the field from where he plays. They just decided to ignore OJ, because he had been thrown to so seldom this season. It came back to bite them...

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
What's funny is their continued insistence that the reason for the TD was the absence of their hotshot DB. Anyone could see it was scheme and not personnel which accounted for them. In fact, one TD was on the opposite side of the field from where he plays. They just decided to ignore OJ, because he had been thrown to so seldom this season. It came back to bite them...
It was much like the game Mike Evans had against us. At some point it has to occur to you that it might be a good idea to pay more attention to "THAT GUY".
It is always easier just to point to "one" instance in the game that changed the fortunes. It makes the loss easier to swallow than just admit the other team was better.

I went back and watched the UGA, LSU, Miss St, and MSU games again. If Alabama shows up in the Championship Game with the same defense they had in any of those games, Clemson gets drilled much the same way Notre Dame did.

Someone on this board had stated that our B game beat their A game. That was a perfect description.

Last edited:

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Yes and no. First, if you re-watch, I believe it wasn't til near the end of the 3rd quarter that we put Devall (or Foster) spying Watson, and it worked great. I think Saban was stubborn about his front 4 being able to contain him in the pocket. If we'd done that all game, we don't need that onside kick.
Second, there are tons of times that if Dom Jackson had sustained a block on a p/a pass or Coker had thrown it away to protect a drive, maybe we would've had 7-14 more points by then.

All that said, as I reread your statement, it is probably true that given the circumstances that kick, and the ensuing score, sealed our victory.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, the difference in the game was coaching. Kiffin and Saban made all of the right calls at key points in the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.