Link: The results are in: Alabama isn't going anywhere.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
...but a good enough passing game could still theoretically take down Nick Saban's dynasty.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/1/26/10755816/alabama-football-2016-nick-saban

I enjoyed the read but, yes, Alabama is vulnerable to a Hot Shot Spread QB ..... along with everyone else. I like the way they keep using this Spread QB vulnerability as a lead in and then bury in the article that everyone can be torched by them.:) They know Alabama will get the clicks. Nice problem to have :smile:

Does anyone know what the SB in SBNation stands for? I assume S means sports. NM, thanks to wiki SB is Sports Blog Nation.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is not a weakness of the Alabama defense - these QBs can beat any defense when they are "on". Glad that the author recognized that.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Those composite recruiting rankings demonstrate why LSU fans are so frustrated with Les Miles (aside from the 5 straight losses to Bama): With the way LSU recruits, it ought to finish in the top 10 every single year, like Saban and Bama have done, and they simply haven't measured up. On the other hand, I'd say Stanford and Michigan State have recently over-achieved.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
A great passing attack can defeat a single CNS team (along with a once-in-a-lifetime performance by the quarterback), but it cannot slay a dynasty. We've fallen to some great spread teams with otherworldly QB performances (Auburn 2010, Texas A&M 2012, Ohio State 2014), but the Dynasty always got back on its feet and starting winning championships again. Also of note, we've faced some great spread teams with elite quarterbacks and came out on top (Florida 2009, Texas A&M 2013, and Clemson 2015). These high-powered offenses may check our dominance but they cannot wholly stop it.

Last edited:

UAinAthens

Scout Team
Jul 5, 2001
gmail.com
I don't agree with much in this article except that with our talent, we'll be good for a long time.

What I believe is that any defense is going to struggle against good QB with a hot hand. Our defense is predicated in affecting the QB in the pocket and making him complete contested throws. If the QB can do that, either by throwing on the run, or just being that good, or by having top receiver talent, he can be successful, and that is a given against ANY defense.

Where our breakdowns have happened is in the few occasions where younger players make schematic mistakes that allowed big plays. Combine that with the very few times a top QB has gotten hot, and that's the list. When you think about it, its like saying you can beat Superman with kryptonite, but you have to have kryptonite.

And I don't buy in the least that Clemson beats us if it had a deep threat, or at least had a better chance than it already had.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
They call holding on these spread mobile quarterbacks and Alabama has only lost to Garcia and Cam. Bank on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
"The Tide struggled ..." -- When is the day ever going to come where these numbskull writers talk about the defensive struggles against our "boring" offense? Has there been a team that consistently stops our offense over say.... the last seven years?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Those composite recruiting rankings demonstrate why LSU fans are so frustrated with Les Miles (aside from the 5 straight losses to Bama): With the way LSU recruits, it ought to finish in the top 10 every single year, like Saban and Bama have done, and they simply haven't measured up. On the other hand, I'd say Stanford and Michigan State have recently over-achieved.
Well, they almost always do well until we make them quit. Man, LSU has been processed hard. Almost too hard.

"The Tide struggled ..." -- When is the day ever going to come where these numbskull writers talk about the defensive struggles against our "boring" offense? Has there been a team that consistently stops our offense over say.... the last seven years?
You know they won't write about that. It would make too much sense.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

First Sergeant

Suspended
Jan 17, 2009
I enjoyed thinking about the last question that was asked in the article...."what if Alabama had an athlete (like Watson) on it's roster?"

could you you imagine a Clemson type offense mixed with the defense we had this year......it would be almost unfair to the College football world.....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.