How teams like Alabama convince 5-star recruits to commit and sit on the bench

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
We now see a similar pattern across multiple positions. You play behind a couple of guys for your first year/year and a half getting more snaps along the way. By the time you're a junior your starting along w/a bunch of other seasoned, talented, players for one of the best teams in the land. You get pub as a junior and have an opportunity to go somewhere in the draft but, hopefully, decide to come back for your senior year to win yet another championship. Your transition to the pros is smooth and your not all beat up. Enough players doing that and anything is possible for the team and the player.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I went back to 2008 -- and since -- we have 17 - 5* recruits (counting Henry and A'Shawn -- the other 5*s from 2013 are still in school)

Of the 17, only Tyler Love, BJ Scott, Phil Sims, and Eddie Williams are not in the NFL.

The other 13 are: Julio, Trent, Dre, Nico, DJ Fluker, Milliner, Kouandjio, Ha Ha, Depriest, Landon, Yeldon, and soon, Henry and A'Shawn.....

the other 5* from 2013 -- Reuben Foster, Robert Foster, Jonathan Allen, and OJ Howard look like locks (maybe Robert is iffy)....

So, that's looking like 17 of 21 will be in the NFL.

That ain't too shabby.

I read an article where nationwide, 52.2% of 5* get drafted, the SEC rate 53.3%, Bama's rate? 80.9% (when I add in the 4 still in school) or 76% overall....

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
We now see a similar pattern across multiple positions. You play behind a couple of guys for your first year/year and a half getting more snaps along the way. By the time you're a junior your starting along w/a bunch of other seasoned, talented, players for one of the best teams in the land. You get pub as a junior and have an opportunity to go somewhere in the draft but, hopefully, decide to come back for your senior year to win yet another championship. Your transition to the pros is smooth and your not all beat up. Enough players doing that and anything is possible for the team and the player.
This infers development and honing your craft. Development and honing one`s craft infers a need for patience. In too many cases "patient" and "18 years old" is an oxymoron. That`s especially true for a pampered 5* who`s absolutely, positively convinced he`s good enough to be in the league after 3 anyway. All that`s compounded in some cases by a parent/parents who are impatient as well for not so altruistic reasons ( $$$$$$ ).

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
I went back to 2008 -- and since -- we have 17 - 5* recruits (counting Henry and A'Shawn -- the other 5*s from 2013 are still in school)

Of the 17, only Tyler Love, BJ Scott, Phil Sims, and Eddie Williams are not in the NFL.

The other 13 are: Julio, Trent, Dre, Nico, DJ Fluker, Milliner, Kouandjio, Ha Ha, Depriest, Landon, Yeldon, and soon, Henry and A'Shawn.....

the other 5* from 2013 -- Reuben Foster, Robert Foster, Jonathan Allen, and OJ Howard look like locks (maybe Robert is iffy)....

That ain't too shabby.

I read an article where nationwide, 52.2% of 5* get drafted, the SEC rate 53.3%, Bama's rate? 80.9% (when I add in the 4 still in school) or 76% overall....
interesting numbers. it's one thing to get the recruits. it's another to develop them to the point where they can positively impact the team and then move to the next level. sounds like the staff has been doing just that.

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Classy statement by bielawhatever... Expect nothing less from him but
pretty dumb.
Kinda Telling kids, u won't play there , you are only good enough to be 3rd string ?

Realize his intent but most kids, especially 5* with all the confidence in the world aren't listening to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

That ain't too shabby.

Wow. Thanks for those stats.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama

That ain't too shabby.

To be fair Phil Sims did end up in the NFL with the Cardinals.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You don't convince them to come and wait patiently on the bench - you promise them an opportunity to compete for playing time. The really talented players are not afraid of that challenge. If they believe you - that you will play the best player - then they come. Saban has proven it time and again - starting freshmen and sophomores over more experienced players every season.

The difficulty comes when they don't get early playing time - convincing them to stick it out.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
You don't convince them to come and wait patiently on the bench - you promise them an opportunity to compete for playing time. The really talented players are not afraid of that challenge. If they believe you - that you will play the best player - then they come. Saban has proven it time and again - starting freshmen and sophomores over more experienced players every season.

The difficulty comes when they don't get early playing time - convincing them to stick it out.
True statement ... the plus is, they are more prepared as players when they go through the program and stick it out. The challenge is, hearing the talk/pressure from family, friends, and fans that they are great players as freshmen and should be playing now. I would argue with the latest trend that happening that we are going to see a lot of players from Bama that will be ready to contribute to an NFL team quicker than they have been in years past and thats saying a LOT looking at our track record.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Here's what it all comes down to. Does someone want to get a bunch of starts for a mediocre team with mediocre coaching, or do they want less snaps in far bigger games with far better coaching?

The instinct for an athlete is to want to play, however in terms of building a career as an athlete? You don't just go where you can get easy playing time, you go somewhere that can help you become great. Now if you doubt you can be great? Well may be you should go where there's easy playing time...

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

That ain't too shabby.

Robert Foster was having a better year than Ridley before the injury just FYI. IMO We have the best group of WR's since Saban has been here.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Here's what it all comes down to. Does someone want to get a bunch of starts for a mediocre team with mediocre coaching, or do they want less snaps in far bigger games with far better coaching?

The instinct for an athlete is to want to play, however in terms of building a career as an athlete? You don't just go where you can get easy playing time, you go somewhere that can help you become great. Now if you doubt you can be great? Well may be you should go where there's easy playing time...
Could not agree more. Just think that some of these kids, some of them quite good and highly ranked, simply don`t have the maturity level to realize what you`ve said nor do they have the patience. Unfortunately, along with this, they may not have wise counseling along the way either.

HITIDE

1st Team
Jul 6, 2003
TRINITY, AL., USA
Could not agree more. Just think that some of these kids, some of them quite good and highly ranked, simply don`t have the maturity level to realize what you`ve said nor do they have the patience. Unfortunately, along with this, they may not have wise counseling along the way either.
A starter, and star, on the football team at Slippery Rock is popular with the pretty girls at Slippery Rock. That is what some kids are interested in, even some that could possibly make it to the next label with proper coaching and hard work at a championship school.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
A starter, and star, on the football team at Slippery Rock is popular with the pretty girls at Slippery Rock. That is what some kids are interested in, even some that could possibly make it to the next label with proper coaching and hard work at a championship school.
Strong parenting is a rare commodity indeed.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

That ain't too shabby.

Trey DePriest never really caught on in the league. But according to 247 he and Dee Hart were drafted into MLFB, whatever that turns out to be.
http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Former-Alabama-LB-chosen-in-first-year-MLFB-draft-43237864

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.