Question: Price and Shula

ecraj

Scout Team
Jan 24, 2009
Florence, AL
I've looked on and off for a few years to see if i could locate any video or even just small clips of the Mike Price and/or Mike Shula introduction press conference when they were hired at UA, but I've had no luck. Seems like they could be found somewhere. For some reason or another i'm curious as to what they said. Seems like I remember Shula being introduced and he said a few nice things and then asked if anyone had any questions. If anyone has any memories of this please let me know.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I will try to find, but I do have a .mp3 saved of Dubose's last speech after the Iron Bowl, it's a classic. The best introduction presser I have ever seen was McElwain at Florida, he was always a step ahead of the press, and let it be known that he would spin a question to his advantage every time. He let the press know he wasn't bowing down, but was a notch up, much like Coach Saban.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
If I remember correctly, Coach Mike Shula had the look of a deer in headlights and Coach Mike Price threw packets of sugar around the room to show that we were going to the Sugar Bowl. Coach Price had a lot more enthusiasm when he was hired and fired for that matter.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If I remember correctly, Coach Mike Shula had the look of a deer in headlights and Coach Mike Price threw packets of sugar around the room to show that we were going to the Sugar Bowl. Coach Price had a lot more enthusiasm when he was hired and fired for that matter.
Yes, he did that at a time when were prohibited from post-season play. Maybe he meant eventually. I tend to think it just showed how clueless he really was...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yes, he did that at a time when were prohibited from post-season play. Maybe he meant eventually. I tend to think it just showed how clueless he really was...
In a strange way I felt a little violated by Price, like he came down here thinking we were a bunch of chumps and that he could behave anyway he wanted. What an idiot, we were on probation but Mal Moore is not going to put up with a non gentleman. Price paid the Price. It saddens me that his name is even in the books, he never signed a contract, he should be erased as an anomaly.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
In a strange way I felt a little violated by Price, like he came down here thinking we were a bunch of chumps and that he could behave anyway he wanted. What an idiot, we were on probation but Mal Moore is not going to put up with a non gentleman. Price paid the Price. It saddens me that his name is even in the books, he never signed a contract, he should be erased as an anomaly.
Don't be. Feel violated, that is. As TIDE-HSV said, he was clueless. He had behaved that way in Washington because he would not have been recognized at the University of Idaho. SEVEN MILES AWAY! Nor anywhere else outside the city limits of Pullman. He had no idea of the fish bowl he was getting into at Bama.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Darby went in to his office to talk about the fact that we only had six running plays. Price's answer - "That's all we need."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Don't be. Feel violated, that is. As TIDE-HSV said, he was clueless. He had behaved that way in Washington because he would not have been recognized at the University of Idaho. SEVEN MILES AWAY! Nor anywhere else outside the city limits of Pullman. He had no idea of the fish bowl he was getting into at Bama.
I happened to have an odd connection in Pullman, a Baptist minister who was originally from Alabama. He assured us that the police, administration, etc. there had been covering up his antics - drinking, skirt chasing - for years. He correctly predicted the flameout and pretty close to how it was likely to happen. I made sure Mal heard it. It didn't make any difference. Minds were made up at that point...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Darby went in to his office to talk about the fact that we only had six running plays. Price's answer - "That's all we need."
Then he was delusional, that is anti Bama. Thanks for bringing up Darby, he brought some fun during bad times, still think he played hurt as a senior.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My oldest daughter was a student at Alabama when Price was hired. One night during the Spring of 2003, actually sometime after midnight, my phone rings and it is my daughter. Of course I automatically expect something bad, she and several of her sorority sisters are at the Mellow Mushroom drinking and Price and a couple of his assistants are hitting on them and every other female there. She said they were all drunk and obnoxious. When I told my wife she said Price had a lot to learn about coaching Alabama and living in Tuscaloosa.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
My oldest daughter was a student at Alabama when Price was hired. One night during the Spring of 2003, actually sometime after midnight, my phone rings and it is my daughter. Of course I automatically expect something bad, she and several of her sorority sisters are at the Mellow Mushroom drinking and Price and a couple of his assistants are hitting on them and every other female there. She said they were all drunk and obnoxious. When I told my wife she said Price had a lot to learn about coaching Alabama and living in Tuscaloosa.
He should have stayed in Pullman. He had it made there.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
I have a very similar story. I was working in Atlanta, recently graduated from UofA, and some of my friends who hadn't graduated at the time were having drinks in The Houndstooth. They called me and bragged about how Coach Price was in the joint buying everyone drinks and talking about how they would beat everyone in the SEC. Mind you, this was before he coached a game. Perhaps he had coached Aday.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Dirty Grandpa.....LOL

Did they make that movie about Mike Price?

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
CMS's introductory presser was very thrown together, subdued...and yes, deer in the headlights in appearance. Poor Ken Darby...shula ran him to death. Never understood why he tried to wear opponents out when HE was the one that was short 20 players!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I once read an article about Ryan Leaf. It said the Chargers had heard rumors he was a party animal and considered not drafting him. So they did some checking and decided it was safe to take him. The article said one of the people they contacted was Price.

Just think, if the Chargers had sucked just a little bit worse in 1997 they wouldn't be playing in LA in 2016

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
CMS's introductory presser was very thrown together, subdued...and yes, deer in the headlights in appearance. Poor Ken Darby...shula ran him to death. Never understood why he tried to wear opponents out when HE was the one that was short 20 players!
I saw a short video once with June Jones and Mike Shula. June was commenting about how nice Bryant-Denny was and poor Shula didn't even know how to carry on a conversation. I was embarrassed for him. He could grunt but not talk. I wondered if that was what they meant by "deer in the headlights" and decided it was.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.