News Article: Cam Newton Sure Thinks A Lot Of Himself

I disagree completely with his narcissistic opinion of the matter. There have been plenty of black QBs, with his skill set or similar skill sets. (I honestly can't remember any QB period that was built like a LB). But there have been several who could run like a RB and throw very well. Randall Cunningham. Steve Young (yes obviously he is white). Russell Wilson. To name a few.

People don't have a problem with Newton because he is black. And it's really, really weak of him to suggest so. They have a problem with the narcissism. I understand and realize there are cultural differences between black people and white people. And there is nothing at all wrong with that. But I say this isn't even a cultural matter.

His talent is truly elite. It's just a shame his personality isn't. And it's a real shame for him to have thrown out the race card.
A lot of people don't like Cam Newton, and I'm one of them. He's a huge jerk on the field. When he says he is "incomparable" he is correct in several ways. In a business with a lot of jerks, there's never been one quite like him. We've seen many insufferable players, but that personna is usually reserved for some of the RBs, WRs, and the like, not the leader of the team.

Don't revel in your notoriety, egg it on, then run and play the race card... that "I'm an African-American QB that may scare a lot of [white] people." Are there some white racists out there, sure there are. But, I' think there are tons more, white and black, that just don't like you for how you comport yourself. I wonder if that has ever dawned on him. People really don't like YOU. Most folks so completely narcissistic probably never get that.
The problem with him is that he is playing the victim card to a tee. Nobody black is going to call him out even though they know it, because of many reasons, mostly because he is just black and/or fear of retaliation from other blacks. I've tried to like him but the reality of it is he's just not likable. Extremely great talent though. He's probably the MVP of the league and rightly so.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
You should live in Raleigh - can't check the weather without hearing him tell how wonderful he is. I had not heard a single person mention his race until he did. I am starting to hope Peyton gets his swansong.
Sense you live in Raleigh, listen to G105 in the morning. Bob from Bob & the Showgram does not like him for similar reasons that most of the people on this site. Nothing to do with his race. All to do with his attitude.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
This post on the News Site pretty much sums it up for me. Racism can't die when there's always someone charging the paddles yelling "CLEAR!"

And before I get flamed I'm a proud grandfather of two bi-racial boys and have several black friends and acquaintances.

"Kathy Mann
That's rich! What you all need to get straight is that the MAJORITY of Americans don't have racial issues with other races. What I do know, though, is that there's a lot of people out there perpetuating this nonsense and taking us back 100 years in race relations! We also have an inciter at 1600. Of course, that doesn't help one bit!!!"
It truly gets tiring when every other week it seems like someone plays the race-card on a National level..I have lived in an area of America that was at the heart of the 50's & 60's racial hatred that was tearing down our country.. I live bout 2 miles from where they burned the Freedom Riders Bus in Anniston & now days I have never seen racial motivated hate..

I wish folks would get over the Black/White thing & just look at us all as just "Americans"..

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Do you believe there really is something wrong with him mentally or do you believe the lack of discipline and consequences for wrong doing has led to the way he acts?
I see kids in sports today that my teenager and almost teenager go to school with. They have athletic abilities, and do whatever they want without fear of repercussion. And it only makes them act worse. I know of one kid that I see as being a little $cam Newton. Team can't win without him (even the kids on the team are beginning to think this) so he gets away with murder, and is praised constantly for his "game".

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The problem with him is that he is playing the victim card to a tee. Nobody black is going to call him out even though they know it, because of many reasons, mostly because he is just black and/or fear of retaliation from other blacks. I've tried to like him but the reality of it is he's just not likable. Extremely great talent though. He's probably the MVP of the league and rightly so.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
He's definitely MVP. He deserves it. He is a fantastic talent but he seems unaware of the fact that he is narcissistic. He's borderline sociopathic, IMO.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Why do we even have a post about $cam Newton. We have 16 in the trophy case and people are getting working up about a barn player in the Super Bowl. I'm still enjoying 16 to get caught up in the $cam saga.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
I agree with most of the posts above. He is so oblivious to his hubris, I often wonder if there is something wrong with him.
^^^^ This. Even back in his Auburn days, my friends and family who are in the education and counseling fields swore he was at the very least somewhere on the spectrum, and at worst a full-blown sociopath. He exhibits a good many of the behaviors.

What makes it hard to determine is that some of those same behaviors can also be a result of doing anything you want and always getting away with it. (See: Winston, Jameis)

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I would describe it more as egoism

From Webster
a doctrine that individual self-interest is the actual motive of all conscious action
: a doctrine that individual self-interest is the valid end of all actions
: excessive concern for oneself with or without exaggerated feelings of self-importance compare egotism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Do you believe there really is something wrong with him mentally or do you believe the lack of discipline and consequences for wrong doing has led to the way he acts?
I really think he's just a very immature, self centered individual who just happens to be a freak of nature, physical specimen.

I'm sure what you mentioned may have contributed also.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
This young man is delusional. I don't know why anybody would be scared of him. I simply don't like him, or anything he stands for based on his behavior at UF, and then what happened to get him to play for the barn. It's as simple as that. He's a great player, no doubt about any of that. Class is something you've either got, or you don't. And he doesn't have it.

Bamanooga

1st Team
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Mountain, TN
Why do we even have a post about $cam Newton. . . I'm still enjoying 16 to get caught up in the $cam saga.
Agreed. However, this thread has been informative about how far we as a state or maybe just the posters on Tidefans have come about race relations. Maybe that's the way I choose to read these posts.

Cam Newton and Peyton Manning could both be purple. Color does not matter. Even the school they went to doesn't. We are rivals with both.

Character matters. God gave great athletic gifts to both of them, but character to one. I'm afraid youth and favor may shine on the other one.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
After much deliberation, I concluded that what $cam was saying is: "If you don't like/admire/worship me, then you are a racist.".

Bottom line is he is a narcistic jerk. I don't care if he is black, white, green or purple. :cool2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.