12 Coaches Who May Be Fired If They Don't Win in 2016

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I see the usual suspects :) here with a surprise or two. But I agree with all except W Virginia and Penn State. W Virginia is way out on a Big 12 island and it is hard to compete with those Texas teams from a thousand miles away. Penn State need at least one more year IMO.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A second-year coach of no accomplishment is on the hot seat at Nebraska?

And they wonder why they can't get a head coach worth anything.

I know we have some Nebraska lurkers here so let me say it: your days as a power program are over. Gone. Like Army, who was really good when everybody else was off at war, you were a blip on the radar screen of history albeit an accomplished one. But the days of Nebraska playing the maximum number of games on TV and sending guys to pros merely because they're Nebraska are long gone and they're never coming back.

In this day and age where a guy can play football at Rice and still be seen on TV nearly every week - there is NO incentive for a non-Nebraska kid to go live four years in a cornfield. Go look at how many of their stars were from other states - Rozier, Fyar, Gill, Berenger, Frazier, Phillips, Suh - all guys who could be recruited to come to Nebraska (and except for Suh in days when not all the games were on TV).

Nebraska might be able to pull a West Virginia or Washington State back in the day - where you get a REALLY good senior-laden team that has played together and can put it all together in one year about every five years. But Nebraska will never again be anything like they were any more than Tulane will win an SEC title again.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would rank Malzhn as high as three, possibly two. If he doesn't have a West contender this year ESPECIALLY if Alabama manages to somehow win the West yet again.......he will be thrown overboard. They have made clear they will not tolerate 8-5 seasons after you taste success. If he had reversed the order of his accomplishment and played for the title and lost this past year, he'd be safe.

Pat Dye was fired....uh, resigned under pressure, only two years to the month after his team was poised to be #1 and then lost to Florida and collapsed across the next two years (along with the Ramsey allegations).

Terry Bowden was force resigned only seven games after their first Western Division title.

Tommy Tuberville had one losing season following a period of time when his record was 59-18 with an unbeaten season and a 4-1 bowl record - he quit/was fired/whatever.

Chizik got tossed less than two full years after winning it all.

ANY sort of losing season and Malzahn will be toast. And this year's schedule includes an opener with Clemson and road games against both Georgia and Alabama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I have some additional reasons for James Franklin:

Transfers

The three departures bring the number of players leaving Penn State before their eligibility runs up since the end of the season to six, including Christian Hackenberg and Austin Johnson who are going to the NFL and Geno Lewis who is transferring to Oklahoma.
Assistants leaving

Herb Hand left Penn State to become the OL coach at Auburn days after Bob Schoop left to become the defensive coordinator at Tennessee. Jim Haslett left to go back to the NFL after spending a year as a consultant.

Christian Hackenberg's "I'm going pro" Note

Notice who is not mentioned?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I hate slideshows...here's the list (SEC highlighted):

12. Dave Clawson - Wake Forest
11. Mike Riley - Nebraska
10. Derek Mason - Vanderbilt
9. Mark Stoops - Kentucky
8. Gus Malazahn - Auburn
7. Mike MacIntyre - Colorado
6. Darrell Hazell - Purdue
5. James Franklin - Penn State
4. Dana Holgorsen - West Virginia
3. Charlie Strong - Texas
2. Les Miles - LSU
1. Kevin Sumlin - TAMU

I disagree with the Mike Riley pick. He's going into year two of his tenure at Nebraska. No matter how much the expectations have been raised in the last few years, I don't see a coaching getting fired in only two seasons without misconduct.

I pretty much agree with the rest of the list and especially the SEC coaches who I have a better pulse on their landscape. Some LSU fans think Les is safe to ride off into the sunset now but I'm not so sure. If they have another 3-loss season with that talent on the roster, he's gonna be pushed out. I don't see it happening though. I think the West will be won in Baton Rogue in early November. I can't see LSU losing more than 1 game next year.

Malzahn is done if they struggle AND lose to Alabama again. Sumlin is done if they don't win 9 games. Mark Stoops and Derek Mason will get sent out the revolving door at those programs.

I think Franklin will get a season or two of padding due to the sanctions recovery at Penn State. He just can't look terrible. As long as they don't regress, I think he'll coach there in 2017.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Why even list places like Vandy, Wake, Kentucky, Purdue or Colorado? Nobody expects them to be any good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
No mention of Muschamp?

:)
It may be because S Carolina is seriously BAD BTOBC. Even after The Old Ball Coach they have a winning record only against Kentucky, Vandy and Mississippi St. Losing record to all other SEC schools as well as GT, FSU, Clemson and N Carolina. They seriously are win challenged.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think if Les loses another one at home to Nick - Les is history

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not if it is their only loss in the regular season. I think a loss to Alabama + any other regular season loss is closer to being trouble for Les but maybe not enough. A loss to Alabama + 2 more regular season losses is pretty much the death knell.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Anyone else find the fire the coach drumbeat from the media a tad bit disturbing? There's 25 new coaches next year, and how many of them were created by the media beating their drums about letting the coaches go?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Anyone else find the fire the coach drumbeat from the media a tad bit disturbing? There's 25 new coaches next year, and how many of them were created by the media beating their drums about letting the coaches go?
I always have, since we know coaches. It is disgusting. The fans want to win and don't care about the human beings involved in the games, and the media is happy to feed into that fan behavior - chumming the waters for clicks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.