30 years ago today...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
When my mom was a junior, JFK was killed.

When I was a junior, the Shuttle exploded.

When my youngest brother was a junior, 9/11 happened.

I shudder knowing my only son is a junior this year.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
wow, that was 30 years ago. i was sitting in ap biology (11th grade) when it happened. we were all watching the launch on tv
Ski slope at Beach Mountain in NC. Due to the cold/ice in Atlanta that day our school was closed so my brother and I and a few buddies went up to Beach to go skiing for the day. Second coldest I've ever been (92 SEC Championship being the coldest) Slopes went from full to empty as everyone started hearing about it and going inside to watch the news. Sad day

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I grew up in Orlando, so we were standing outside during school (it was so cold!) watching the launch. When it was obvious something was wrong, they ushered us into our school rooms and wheeled TVs into he rooms so we could watch the coverage. I was 13 at the time, just a kid, but the mood all over the school was very somber.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
At home, watching the launch. My BIL was the director of KFC at the time. He had already put in retirement papers. NASA made him withdraw them and stay on another year, so it wouldn't give the impression he was being forced out...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I was at a job site for my landscaping business. I was the only one there.

I remember how dang COLD it was, but we had work to do!

Then my friend Jerry Peludat pulled up. He installed irrigation for me.

He's the one who told me about the explosion.

That was a very somber morning of work.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I think everyone remembers where they were that day. I was off work that day and turned on the TV to see Dan Rather with a mock up of the shuttle, showing footage over and over of the explosion and trying to explain the purpose of the solid rocket boosters.

Reagan's SOTU speech was cancelled that night if I remember correctly.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
wow, that was 30 years ago. i was sitting in ap biology (11th grade) when it happened. we were all watching the launch on tv
Either it took you a real long time to finish school or you and I are the same age (which stuns me - I thought you were older).

We were home; school was closed due to a flu epidemic in Lowndes County, MS. I was playing Intellivision ("Bomb Squad" was the game) with "Price is Right" on the top TV. It was stunning, and I was glued to the tube the rest of the day just hoping you know?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
My wife was teaching at Mountain Gap Elementary in Huntsville. I was working on the Arsenal, I'll not forget when she called me. I had not been watching, but like many schools they had a everyone (at least in her grade level) watching.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."
Gets me every time...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Either it took you a real long time to finish school or you and I are the same age (which stuns me - I thought you were older).

We were home; school was closed due to a flu epidemic in Lowndes County, MS. I was playing Intellivision ("Bomb Squad" was the game) with "Price is Right" on the top TV. It was stunning, and I was glued to the tube the rest of the day just hoping you know?
i was born july 1969 (my mom and i watched the moon landing in a hospital room) and graduated high school spring 1987.

eta: its weird trying to get my head around the fact that my 30 year high school reunion is next year.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.