Mercer Announces It will Play Alabama in 2017 and 2021

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
We play an FCS game every year, so this is no big deal. We played Georgia State the first year they even had a team.

They are in the SoCon and went 5-6 in 2015 and upset conference champ Chattanooga.

I would not mind seeing us drop FCS games altogether, but only if it was mandated league wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Almost as bad as playing Georgia State in their first year of football. Is Kennesaw State next? They began playing last season. :rolleyes:

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Seriously? There's a ton of lower tier DIA teams out there that can use the money. If we want the cupcake, we can always take a game with about half the B1G, or about 3/4 of the ACC or Big 12...

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Seriously? There's a ton of lower tier DIA teams out there that can use the money. If we want the cupcake, we can always take a game with about half the B1G, or about 3/4 of the ACC or Big 12...
Actually there are but 60 (127-64P5-3IND=60) of them and all of the 127 are attempting to schedule them because the P5 will not take your last suggestion and schedule each other. If you are a AD at one of the 60 and both Indiana and Bama are offering you a big payday to come play at their house, which one are you going to schedule? See the problem?

Those P5 that you mentioned would drop football before they scheduled Bama. And Bama wouldn't give them the return home game they would require, even if they were willing to play Bama. See the problem?

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm sorry, I just can't get upset over these games. They are on the schedule every season now, and frankly, we need the break. We're playing 15 games now, 15!

Carry on with your outrage if you must, but I'm not going to complain.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
SOS does not take a beating. Ours was 1st or 2nd overall this year, despite playing Charleston Southern.

The game benefits Mercer. They need the money to have a program. The game benefits Alabama. The team needs a break from the SEC grind. The game benefits thousands of fans who wouldn't see Alabama play, but are able to get tickets to games like these.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
SOS does not take a beating. Ours was 1st or 2nd overall this year, despite playing Charleston Southern.

The game benefits Mercer. They need the money to have a program. The game benefits Alabama. The team needs a break from the SEC grind. The game benefits thousands of fans who wouldn't see Alabama play, but are able to get tickets to games like these.
Yup - at this point, if Saban is okay with it, I'm okay with it. I'm not a passionate 'Saban fan' - I'm as critical as anyone when I feel that the team is unprepared, etc. - but the man knows how to run the program and anyone who doubts his decisions needs to look in the mirror and realize they don't have five NCs and CNS does.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I agree with your post; however, the thousands of fans who get tickets to this game still won't get to "see Alabama play".:)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I agree with your post; however, the thousands of fans who get tickets to this game still won't get to "see Alabama play".:)
I know what you're saying, but I am one of those fans. I don't get to go to the games at all anymore, but when I did, these were the type games I got to go to. I loved it. I guarantee you those thousands also love it. Those kids love it, whether Derrick Henry is playing a full game or not.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that playing Mercer is kinda funny, but it is good for them and good for Alabama. Games like this allow programs like theirs to exist, and SEC teams need a break somewhere in their schedule.

That said, I wouldn't pay to see a game like this and can't blame fans for not getting excited about these games. They are not competitive, and the starters don't get many snaps.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Alabama is playing a consulting firm?
Reminds me of the Monty Python skit philosopher football (linky).

Or better yet, this with the All Blacks (who are current rugby world champs) vs. some local gov't bureaucrats. This would be a lot like Mercer beating Bama.

Last edited:

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
The University of Alabama should NEVER play a team like Mercer in football. I know Mercer will get a huge payday, but a game like this is a joke and everyone knows it.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Even though The Barn nearly lost to Jacksonville St, if we're going to play FCS teams, might as well play instate teams like Samford, JSU, South Alabama or West Alabama..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.