Mercer Announces It will Play Alabama in 2017 and 2021

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Blah...

I did like the link to the story and talking about Bama having this great gameday tradition and what not, then at the end it has one line about the barn:biggrin:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The 2017 schedule isn't going to be easy. The SOS is going to be just fine even with this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
How would you react if you were scheduling an FCS team like NDSU? Like FBS, there is a big disparity between the top and bottom of FCS.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I got 4 for sale for this one. I'll take a little less than face. Serious inquiries only.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

The 2017 schedule isn't going to be easy. The SOS is going to be just fine even with this game.
Our schedule is plenty tough every year. I think we should play one total cupcake OOC, two fair OOC, and one solid OOC to go with our conference games. It allows for rest and development of younger players and provides plenty of challenges. Those of you who want us to play OSU, USC, OU, and Clemson as our out of conference games may want to adjust to more injuries and losses paired with no time for development.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
I think that playing Mercer is kinda funny, but it is good for them and good for Alabama. Games like this allow programs like theirs to exist, and SEC teams need a break somewhere in their schedule.

That said, I wouldn't pay to see a game like this and can't blame fans for not getting excited about these games. They are not competitive, and the starters don't get many snaps.
I thought almost the same thing about this year's game vs Charleston Southern when I first saw our schedule. But the starters, particularly Cyrus, made a bunch of big plays, we looked sharp and we escaped injury free. I thought the game was pretty entertaining, plus it being Senior Day made it more unique, and maybe more special than any other game played at BDS this year.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
We are going to catch it spades from the media for scheduling this one.
As we should. The schedule maker does not hold Alabama with the same esteem that I do. HINT: ALABAMA > WAKE FOREST.
There is only one thing I like about Notre Dame and that is they DO NOT play the FBS teams. Go Irish.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
PREDICTIONS SURE TO HAPPEN IN 2017

1) Danny Kanell and Joey Galloway (and Skip Bayless and others) will ridicule Alabama's OOC schedule.

2) Some reporter will ask about resting the starters and Nick Saban will go completely ballistic about 'not taking any opponent lightly' and all that other jazz

3) 80% of us Tide fans will tune out that weekend and use it to visit family or some other such thing

4) The stands in BDS will be about half empty UNLESS a lot of Mercer folks drive over the relatively short drive just to 'enjoy the game day experience.'

5) If the game is anything less than a 30-point Tide win, analysts will ponder what is wrong with Alabama; if it's more than a 50-point win, we'll be accused of mercilessly (pardon the pun) running up the score

6) Somebody will STILL manage to get banned from the light-hearted game day thread here on TF

7) Some Big 12 coach who has a tough game that same weekend (the game will surely be played the weekend of November 18, 2017 and no doubt OU will be facing Baylor or TCU so my money is on Stoops since Charlie Weiss will be long gone by then)

8) One of the ESPN networks will offer to pay to move it to Thursday night and give Mercer more exposure and everyone more money

=========================

My first thought like others here - "Mercer has a FOOTBALL team?" My uncle graduated from Mercer back in the mid-1960s.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Should be interesting for my household. My oldest son got his undergrad at Alabama. My youngest got his at mercer. Even though both are Bama fans might have to go for the fun. I knew they were getting a football team because seen them building the football field.:)

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
How would you like this schedule?
At Georgia Tech
Baylor
At Vandy
Wichita State
Florida
Tennessee
Virginia Tech
Mississippi State
At LSU
Miami
Auburn
Arkansas

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.