Mercer Announces It will Play Alabama in 2017 and 2021

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We did the first Duke game in 2006 @ BDS and were trying to arrange the return game to be in Charlotte. Duke seemed interested at first because they might have stood to have a bigger financial gain and greater visibility for their program from the NFL stadium appearance.The deal fell through, Duke decided they wanted the return game in their stadium. Cutcliffe taking over in 2008 may have had a hand in the neutral site arrangement falling through.

At either rate, it would have been deleterious for future negotiations with other schools to back out of a return visit after Duke fulfilled their end of the bargain. I might be glossing over some details, but that is basically how we ended up at Wallace Wade Stadium in 2010.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
We did the first Duke game in 2006 @ BDS and were trying to arrange the return game to be in Charlotte. Duke seemed interested at first because they might have stood to have a bigger financial gain and greater visibility for their program from the NFL stadium appearance.The deal fell through, Duke decided they wanted the return game in their stadium. Cutcliffe taking over in 2008 may have had a hand in the neutral site arrangement falling through.

At either rate, it would have been deleterious for future negotiations with other schools to back out of a return visit after Duke fulfilled their end of the bargain. I might be glossing over some details, but that is basically how we ended up at Wallace Wade Stadium in 2010.
I think I remember Cutcliffe wanting to move the game to Duke for recruiting purposes. I did not see that helping and evidently it did not help. But it would not have been us backing out, it was Duke that failed to keep their end and play at Charlotte. But what is to stop North Dakota from agreeing to the same thing and then backing out as Duke did?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I wonder if Duke screwed up Charlotte on purpose to get the game at home.

Just me, but I would not have done a home/home or even a home/Charlotte unless Coach K came here as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I wonder if Duke screwed up Charlotte on purpose to get the game at home.

Just me, but I would not have done a home/home or even a home/Charlotte unless Coach K came here as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either way, had it not been for the Crimson in the stadium it would have looked empty. We were there and there were a ton of other Bama fans with us. I had to buy the whole season to get tickets, gave the rest away to co-workers.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I was saying it in 2009 when the 2010 SEC schedule came out, and I will say it now. Bama should have bought out of the Duke game and played at home. The game at Duke caused the game at South Carolina to be the THIRD road game in FOUR weeks! How did that work out? Also caused the LSU game to be the FIFTH road game in EIGHT weeks! How did that work out? SC was the beginning of the end for arguably the most talented (TWELVE NFL FIRST ROUND DRAFT CHOICES) team that Coach Saban has had at Bama. I was at that SC game. Bama looked like a road weary team. SC, of course, had the previous week off. Who didn't in 2010!? :rolleyes:

Having to play the additional road game in 2010 is perhaps in no small part of the reason Saban has no stomach for the H/H series. You schedule those games years in advance and then the SEC comes in the year before and slams you with consecutive weeks on the road and SIX BYES. You are better off not scheduling the H/H.

Last edited:

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
If this is true, that we're playing Mercer in football, what a disgrace. Can we ever get to the point where all of our non-conference games are against teams that are nationally known and respected? I'd rather lose a game or two each year as long as it was because we were playing "name brand" teams each week.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Agree 100%.

I'll never understand why people want Bama to play a tougher schedule. Alabama's SOS by year:
2015: #1
2014: #2
2013: #39
2012: #19
2011: #15
2010: #14
2009: #2
Something all those years have in common? At least one cupcake.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think a lower level FBS team is that much of a threat to us anymore with Saban. It is really just a matter of having to play starters a bit longer to assure that it isn't a threat against FBS teams. We can roll out the second string by the second quarter of an FCS game. NDSU might be the only team in FCS who could get us into the second half with starters playing.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I don't a tougher schedule, I want a more respected schedule. FBS instead of FCS.
For Bama to schedule a FBS team on the next to last weekend of the season is virtually impossible. In 2015, for example, 90 of the remaining 113 (127-14SEC) FBS teams were playing conference games that weekend. Four of the remaining 23 were P5/IND playing conference mandated (BC at ND) or OOC (Rutgers at Army). Four of the remaining 19 were P5 that were either off (UT, TT, Neb) or playing OOC (FSU). None of which would come to Bama on that weekend even if given a return game. That leaves 15 non P5/IND FBS teams and apparently the ADs of those 15 have at least half a brain because Bama is the LAST place you want your team on that weekend needing two wins to become Bowl eligible.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Late season FCS games are simply the reality for the ACC and SEC in the 12-game season. None of the other major or minor conferences have such an extensive number of OOC rivalries and it causes scheduling situations that create open dates late in the season for ACC/SEC schools. I guarantee that the ACC-ND agreement will never have Clemson or FSU playing ND the week before they play their SEC rivals.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It is really just a matter of having to play starters a bit longer to assure that it isn't a threat against FBS teams. We can roll out the second string by the second quarter of an FCS game.
That's precisely the reason for playing the weakest possible team for game 11 - Saban acknowledged several times this season how worn down the players were later in the season. They need every bit of rest they can get after playing the tough schedule they play at Alabama.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'll make this whole thing simple for every opponent who has anything to say about our schedule:

Wanna trade the entire schedule straight up? You get Mercer, but you also get:

Florida St
Fresno St
Colorado ST

home: Arky, LSU, Ole Miss, Tenn
ROAD: Auburn, Vandy, MSU, ATM

Fair enough?

Who wants to trade?

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Agree 100%.

I'll never understand why people want Bama to play a tougher schedule. Alabama's SOS by year:
2015: #1
2014: #2
2013: #39
2012: #19
2011: #15
2010: #14
2009: #2
In 2015, Alabama was the first school in NCAA history to defeat TWELVE schools with winning records! Probably was the first to ever play 13 of those. School record was 11 set in 2003.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In 2015, Alabama was the first school in NCAA history to defeat TWELVE schools with winning records! Probably was the first to ever play 13 of those. School record was 11 set in 2003.

Didn't realize that - thanks for posting - Crazy!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.