Game changer: Tesla's Model III goes 320km per charge and costs $35,000

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
So how are we going to increase the electrical production to charge the cars? Obama's killing coal. Nuclear is shunned. Much of the country is in a drought so hydro-electric may be a problem. Solar is losing it's tax credits...;)

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
So how are we going to increase the electrical production to charge the cars? Obama's killing coal. Nuclear is shunned. Much of the country is in a drought so hydro-electric may be a problem. Solar is losing it's tax credits...;)
Gas is cheap right now. Maybe Tesla should offer a gas powered generator to charge their cars.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Re: Game changer: Tesla's Model III goes 320km per charge and costs $35,000 - See mor

they've had my attention for years as did Fisker, who made a prettier Hybrid car, but they won't get my wallet share until they fill those holes. I work from home and rarely drive as it is but I drive between here and the Gulf very regularly and a Tesla just con't get me there yet (Sadly)

the Fisker, for fun

there is one of these in my neighborhood (older model i think). it took me a while to figure out what it was.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Re: Game changer: Tesla's Model III goes 320km per charge and costs $35,000 - See mor

that's the one i saw (at least the body type). it really caught my eye, and the third or fourth time i saw it, i made sure to get close enough to see what it was.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

What does it cost to "fill up" an electric car with electricity compared to gas? In other words, what would be my cost per mile driven?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

that's the one i saw (at least the body type). it really caught my eye, and the third or fourth time i saw it, i made sure to get close enough to see what it was.
I did that with the model X I saw the other day. My wife was driving and I annoyed the hell out of her having her slow down and go behind it so I could see what it was and then spend the next 20 minutes annoying her discussing the Falcon wing doors :)

the falcon wing in action .... sweet

when the Karma was selling in Atlanta at Classic Cadillac in Sandy Springs. I went and drooled all over it in person. It was really, really stunning. Best looking sedan I think I've ever seen

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

What does it cost to "fill up" an electric car with electricity compared to gas? In other words, what would be my cost per mile driven?
Not sure if Tesla can or will keep this up, but charges at the supercharger "stations" are free.

There is a calculator on their site for home charges. It is .33kWh per mile. National average is 12 cents per kWh. That means about $4 per 100 miles.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

California numbers:
Cost of electricity to drive the Tesla 23,000 miles: $1,226
Cost of premium gas to drive BMW 7 Series 23,000 miles: $4,951
Money saved on fuel by driving Tesla: $3,724

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-...tesla-model-s-cost-of-gas-vs-electricity.html

My cost to operate a Tesla would be almost one-third that as the cost of electricity in my area averages just over $0.06 / kWh.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Not sure if Tesla can or will keep this up, but charges at the supercharger "stations" are free.
The plan has been to always keep them free. Many (most?) of them are self sufficient as the roofs are covered in solar panels - they charge batteries that then charge the cars.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

My wife wants one of these. I look forward to it.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

0-60 in 3.2 seconds for 35k?

And someone's quibbling about range?

loool
right? My range for the firs few months would be like 20 miles as I would going full 0-60 everywhere I went

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

right? My range for the firs few months would be like 20 miles as I would going full 0-60 everywhere I went
I had to edit my comment. I don't think that performance is at the lowest price point.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

when the Karma was selling in Atlanta at Classic Cadillac in Sandy Springs. I went and drooled all over it in person. It was really, really stunning. Best looking sedan I think I've ever seen
Century Automotive in Huntsville has/had a pretty wide umbrella. They sold BMW/Volvo/Porsche/Isuzu/Land Rover/Jaguar/Fisker. Isuzu left the US & Fisker, well I don't know exactly what's going on with them, reorganizing?

Anyway, I was over there 3-4 years ago getting my Isuzu looked over for a cross country trip (late model Isuzu's had a weird quirk where you couldn't check the transmission without a special tool only available from the dealership. They were self-contained.) and strolled around the dealership with my mouth agape. The Fisker was better looking than any Jaguar, Porsche, Volvo or BMW on the lot. You're right, it was absolutely stunning.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Century Automotive in Huntsville has/had a pretty wide umbrella. They sold BMW/Volvo/Porsche/Isuzu/Land Rover/Jaguar/Fisker. Isuzu left the US & Fisker, well I don't know exactly what's going on with them, reorganizing?

Anyway, I was over there 3-4 years ago getting my Isuzu looked over for a cross country trip (late model Isuzu's had a weird quirk where you couldn't check the transmission without a special tool only available from the dealership. They were self-contained.) and strolled around the dealership with my mouth agape. The Fisker was better looking than any Jaguar, Porsche, Volvo or BMW on the lot. You're right, it was absolutely stunning.
when i first saw it, i thought it was some sort of bat-mobile type kit car

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.