NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA - page 80)

It's going to be a long football season in Oxford, Mittittippi this year.
Which is why they have been trying to upgrade their basketball program. Last Monday they posted a job opening for an assistant coach for the basketball program. Tuesday, Dedric and KJ Lawson announced they would be leaving Memphis. Keelon Lawson was a Memphis High school basketball coach and was hired at U of Memphis by Josh Pasner as an "on the floor" coach when Dedric finished high school. Rumor mill up here says Fed-Ex had a great deal to do with bringing Tubby Smith to Memphis. The current Lawson brothers are really good but local legend is that the two younger brothers are even better and DJ Jeffries of Olive Branch, MS (#6 player in the class of 2019) is a good friend of the Lawson family. There is potential for 5 top 30 players (in their relative class) over a three year period if Keelon is hired.
Today that job was taken down. Read into this what you will. It won't be long now--------

http://www.redcuprebellion.com/2017...awson-transfer-kansas-memphis-ole-miss-rumors

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...s----and-keelon-lawson-explain-why/100291042/

Quote - “There’s been plenty of schools that offered. When they offer, they offer a whole lot more money than Memphis gave.”

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA - page 80)

Thought the Lawson brothers ended up at Kansas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think OBMS's point was that Ole Miss no longer sought a new assistant coach once the players said they were going to Kansas and the possible employment of daddy Lawson was no longer on the table.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

They fell apart last year, up one week and down the next. It will be nice to see what transpires this year ..... with or without Mr. Freeze.
I never thought they were built for sustained success, regardless of the sanctions. Even in the two years when they beat Bama. They ultimately faded. They had the one or two very good recruiting classes but it wasn't enough to build championship depth. The deeper into the season it got, the more they began to struggle. I also don't think the type offensive system they run lends itself to sustained success. Their running game is just a change pace until the next pass.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Just came across their spring game on SEC Network. I don't think there are 5,000 people in the stands.

EDIT - Just got a good view and I'm not sure there are 2,000 people there.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Just came across their spring game on SEC Network. I don't think there are 5,000 people in the stands.

EDIT - Just got a good view and I'm not sure there are 2,000 people there.
1500 were ncaa investigators

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Boy, NCAA is really dragging this thing out, or it least it certainly seems so. I`m not at all sure I`ll see this come to an end (69 and in good health ).

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

That is exactly what Ole Miss wants you to think. The Ole Miss Administration has used delay tactics at every turn and had their captive writers blame it on the NCAA.

If Ole Miss had only done what reasonable people do when academic irregularities were first discovered, it would have been over a long time ago. But they would not admit the Wayne County ACT mill was connected to the football program and would not admit that David Saunders had been getting Rebels eligible for almost 10 years. When Ole Miss jumped on that horse named denial, the NCAA decided to allow them to hang themselves.

Sometime in the next three weeks or so we'll get to see the latest amendment to the NOA. From there, the NCAA will take their own sweet time in responding to the Ole Miss answer to the NOA----they have 60 days. From there they will set a meeting with the COI. The COI has regularly scheduled meetings in July and October. I doubt they make July. After that meeting, and any announcement from the NCAA (usually within 6 weeks), Ole Miss will have 60 days (I think) to appeal. Because of what I've mentioned before about Dog Brewer, they will appeal. This thing will not be finalized until after the first of the year----and if we are lucky it will be after signing day, 2018.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

If they have another class like the last year's (Didn't their own coach call it a failure?) they are done for a long time...I'm not bothered by that at all...

That is exactly what Ole Miss wants you to think. The Ole Miss Administration has used delay tactics at every turn and had their captive writers blame it on the NCAA.

If Ole Miss had only done what reasonable people do when academic irregularities were first discovered, it would have been over a long time ago. But they would not admit the Wayne County ACT mill was connected to the football program and would not admit that David Saunders had been getting Rebels eligible for almost 10 years. When Ole Miss jumped on that horse named denial, the NCAA decided to allow them to hang themselves.

Sometime in the next three weeks or so we'll get to see the latest amendment to the NOA. From there, the NCAA will take their own sweet time in responding to the Ole Miss answer to the NOA----they have 60 days. From there they will set a meeting with the COI. The COI has regularly scheduled meetings in July and October. I doubt they make July. After that meeting, and any announcement from the NCAA (usually within 6 weeks), Ole Miss will have 60 days (I think) to appeal. Because of what I've mentioned before about Dog Brewer, they will appeal. This thing will not be finalized until after the first of the year----and if we are lucky it will be after signing day, 2018.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

If they have another class like the last year's (Didn't their own coach call it a failure?) they are done for a long time...I'm not bothered by that at all...
Agreed. A slow drip of incessant bad news for the bears is far better for their opponents than the delay is for the bears.

They bet their future on the Auburn model for dealing with the NCAA (never mind that changes to the rules mean that it wouldn't work as well today), and came up snake eyes.

If they had come clean, they'd already be halfway through the bad times. As it is, they've extended the bad times twice as long as they would have been otherwise, and the punishment will be nasty.

Like our own fiasco in the early '90s, they've converted a problem into a personal vendetta.

I still haven't forgotten what those guys (high-level administration, not talk show callers) did to and said about us during that time frame.

So I hope this is stretched out like a Medieval English draw-and-quarter execution.

If it ends like I think it will, Freeze will be selling Fuller brushes and the bears won't be relevant for 10 years minimum.

Last edited:

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

That's the reason I said if we are lucky the final verdict will not come before signing day, 2018. That one will be bad enough with no sanctions. Then they can take the real hit in 2019 and beyond. Their original aim (see the 2016 class) was to soft sell, lie, recruit strong and hope for 10 or 12 total scholarships reduced----that way they could weather it. The problems started when the NCAA set up camp throughout the entire state after signing day 2016----they were unable to continue what they had been doing and it really showed in 2017 and continues.

Beyond that, they only have four assistant coaches remaining on staff that were there last year and by the time the NCAA is finished I expect only one of them to be eligible to coach. It takes time for #the Network to train assistants----that's why Freeze hired so many assistants from Orgeron's staff.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

They bet their future on the Auburn model for dealing with the NCAA (never mind that changes to the rules mean that it wouldn't work as well today), and came up snake eyes.
The one thing you would want to stay away from if you decide to pursue the Auburn model is stay as far away from Bobby Lowder's personal attorney as you can stay. Prior to Sam Franklin garnering accolades for his representation of Auburn Football he was the lead defense council for Colonial Bank Group and their directors. LF&W won't be nearly as aggressive for Ole Miss as they would for Lowder and Auburn-----and if they can do something to weaken a western division opponent? So be it.

And on the other hand, if you are going to pursue that model you can't admit to anything. Ole Miss screwed up that potential defense tactic when they admitted to several of the original allegations. If you are going to try the Auburn defense the only thing you can ever say to the NCAA is "NOPE".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.