NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Re: Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

Ole Miss doesn't seem too concerned, but wonder if it affects Little or Simmons or other top recruits on signing day. Glad to see they admit violations regarding Tunsil; his recruiting certainly was the most puzzling I can recall.
Always nice to admit something after they got all they can from the player and visa versa. Real timely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

If you can get away with 'Blindside', whereby your booster/former BB star comes out the hero, you probably think you can get away with anything. And, for the most part, you are probably correct.

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama

Let me say, nothing will happen. And the one's on here that CLAIM TO KNOW !!!! DON'T KNOW ANYTHING !!!! So quit acting like you do! . It will surprise me if anything happens. MOVE ALONG !

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

If nothing more comes to light, I agree with scoretide...nothing will happen. Lots of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

All bets off if something else comes up. Right now, the charges sound like 1-2 scholarships at the absolute outside, and maybe nothing at all.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999

I'm beginning my 20th year in the business this year. I've never heard other schools be as upset at an institution as I have the last couple of years regarding Ole Miss.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

The one thing that should concern them is if the NCAA uncovered evidence of more Tunsil situations with other recruits or indications that any staff could have or should have been aware of the situation(s). That points to a lack of control or proper oversight by their compliance department.

Combine any discovery like this with what Jess mentioned and soon you reach a tipping point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I'm beginning my 20th year in the business this year. I've never heard other schools be as upset at an institution as I have the last couple of years regarding Ole Miss.
Hopefully they are letting NCAA know of their concern. I am sure the SEC office is on top of it :rolleyes:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

Question: Would complaints go from the school directly to the NCAA or via the SEC office? Just curious...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Like everyone, at this stage, nobody knows what, if anything will result from this. It would seem logical, however, that if indeed the investigation points to transgressions that point to lack of institutional control, if the NCAA wishes to remain as any sort of viable governing body, it cannot ignore this. That`s particularly true if so many other schools are or have complained as Jess says.

I think it would be fascinating to know how Ole Miss is countering this with recruits and their families.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Like everyone, at this stage, nobody knows what, if anything will result from this. It would seem logical, however, that if indeed the investigation points to transgressions that point to lack of institutional control, if the NCAA wishes to remain as any sort of viable governing body, it cannot ignore this. That`s particularly true if so many other schools are or have complained as Jess says.

I think it would be fascinating to know how Ole Miss is countering this with recruits and their families.
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"- The Wizard of Oz

It is probably the same spin the Rebel faithful are putting on it. "Not a big deal." "Nothing serious will come from it". "It's mostly related to other sports". "The football stuff happened under a different staff..."

My sense is that, as toothless as the NCAA has become, Ole Miss will walk away with nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"- The Wizard of Oz

It is probably the same spin the Rebel faithful are putting on it. "Not a big deal." "Nothing serious will come from it". "It's mostly related to other sports". "The football stuff happened under a different staff..."

My sense is that, as toothless as the NCAA has become, Ole Miss will walk away with nothing more than a slap on the wrist.
I suspect that you`re pretty much correct on that. They`ve been very much emasculated over the last few years. It would take something so obvious and so egregious that not taking serious action would in all likelihood be the death knell of the NCAA, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA

I believe it came down to whether Scam knew or not (hence the "I didn't know" press conference).
It was either admitted by his old man or they found proof he got the money - otherwise Scam never had to say a word.
The reason Cam got away with it was because they gave the money to his dads church. Kind of a loophole, people were hoping the IRS would look into the church and ensure they reported the 200k. but nothing ever came of that

chuxlee

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2008

the reason th barn got away with it, was due to them paying a ton of money to lawyers to squeeze the ncaa.... Teaching all other schools on how to do it.. Expect Ole Miss to follow suit.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I hope they get hammered. The only MS fan I know said the exact sentence about no big deal that everyone on here is saying.

The thing I do feel though is at least they bought some good players. They don't have a championship to show for it though. I kind of feel like with our deal with the whole Means saga was he didn't even pan out, so our booster or coaches didn't even do a good job of picking the right players to pay for.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

Let me say, nothing will happen. And the one's on here that CLAIM TO KNOW !!!! DON'T KNOW ANYTHING !!!! So quit acting like you do! . It will surprise me if anything happens. MOVE ALONG !

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999

As a follow-up to some of the posts that came after mine, the NCAA of today is not the NCAA on the 1980s/1990s. I've got to admit, even with the number of people currently questioning Ole Miss' success (that's about as diplomatic as I can put it), I don't see this as a sure thing that Ole Miss will end up penalized for misdeeds. The NCAA is in a tough spot. For one thing, the NCAA isn't really in charge anymore; the Power 5 is. The NCAA is trying to walk a line between keeping lassos around the wild horses, while realizing what's paying the bills right now are those same wild horses. If the NCAA doesn't want to give a little bit of a gray area, the Power 5 leaving to form its own organization is a real possibility. We're not going back to the time when barely-trained investigators and officials with grudges played with the enforcement and infractions guidelines like they were some kind of toy.

On the other hand, teams that do something egregious -- Syracuse basketball, North Carolina, etc. -- must be punished to some degree to maintain the integrity of the organization. If the NCAA is going to take a NASCAR, "have at it, boys" attitude toward compliance, I would recommend Alabama get down and dirty with the rest of them. There's no sense in being the only do-gooder on the block if everyone else wants to be a villain.

Rodney Orr at TiderInsider mentioned a few weeks back that Ole Miss had likely received a letter. The Rebels were clearly trying to keep it under wraps until after Signing Day had passed, which means someone, likely at the NCAA itself, purposefully leaked this letter to do damage. That tells me the NCAA isn't going to let Ole Miss skate. How bad it gets is anyone's guess. It will depend on how much dirt the NCAA can dig up once they get on campus. They used old violations to get them to Oxford; now they've got to find new violations to really hammer the current regime. This is, incidentally, the same tactic the NCAA took against Alabama in 2000, when it used old violations (the Beamon case, Kenny Smith) to tie Albert Means to Bama's previous probation and make it a "pattern".

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The Rebels were clearly trying to keep it under wraps until after Signing Day had passed, which means someone, likely at the NCAA itself, purposefully leaked this letter to do damage
I tend to agree with this. I think that the NCAA realized that OM was burying the letter in order not to damage recruiting. This is not fair to recruits who deserve to know exactly what the situation is, hence the leak. It is going to have an impact on their recruiting. From what I hear, there may be a couple of late flips from OM. One of them could benefit us. As you say, the NCAA killed us with slow drips...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

As a follow-up to some of the posts that came after mine, the NCAA of today is not the NCAA on the 1980s/1990s. I've got to admit, even with the number of people currently questioning Ole Miss' success (that's about as diplomatic as I can put it), I don't see this as a sure thing that Ole Miss will end up penalized for misdeeds. The NCAA is in a tough spot. For one thing, the NCAA isn't really in charge anymore; the Power 5 is. The NCAA is trying to walk a line between keeping lassos around the wild horses, while realizing what's paying the bills right now are those same wild horses. If the NCAA doesn't want to give a little bit of a gray area, the Power 5 leaving to form its own organization is a real possibility. We're not going back to the time when barely-trained investigators and officials with grudges played with the enforcement and infractions guidelines like they were some kind of toy.

On the other hand, teams that do something egregious -- Syracuse basketball, North Carolina, etc. -- must be punished to some degree to maintain the integrity of the organization. If the NCAA is going to take a NASCAR, "have at it, boys" attitude toward compliance, I would recommend Alabama get down and dirty with the rest of them. There's no sense in being the only do-gooder on the block if everyone else wants to be a villain.

Rodney Orr at TiderInsider mentioned a few weeks back that Ole Miss had likely received a letter. The Rebels were clearly trying to keep it under wraps until after Signing Day had passed, which means someone, likely at the NCAA itself, purposefully leaked this letter to do damage. That tells me the NCAA isn't going to let Ole Miss skate. How bad it gets is anyone's guess. It will depend on how much dirt the NCAA can dig up once they get on campus. They used old violations to get them to Oxford; now they've got to find new violations to really hammer the current regime. This is, incidentally, the same tactic the NCAA took against Alabama in 2000, when it used old violations (the Beamon case, Kenny Smith) to tie Albert Means to Bama's previous probation and make it a "pattern".
I was wondering when someone would suggest this.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Thanks or the updates. I must keep in mind the NCAA had already buried the N Carolina case until a couple of players started it up again, making the NCAA look bad. A shame that had to happen. That does not give me much hope here as I am sure they would love to just do a quick hand slap, make a tough speech and then move on.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

With the best facilities, best coaches and best tradition...why would we even need to? Those schools are doing that to try and keep up with our success. Their problem, not ours...:cool2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.