NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

Whose momentum was completely destroyed---just because the NCAA hung around for a few years with no allegations being recorded and no scholarships taken?

Whose recruiting has followed the exact opposite trajectory as Ole Miss the past four years?

Who might really have a reason to throw Ole Miss under the bus?

Additional thought----When you play out of conference home games, there is usually a rhyme or reason. Alabama played Georgia State a few years ago because a former coach asked for the game. How, pray tell did UT Martin get a two game contract at Ole Miss for 2015 and 2016. Those games were not negotiated in 2000 or 2010----they were recent adds (2013) and the two have no history. What possible connection could there be?

Last edited:

First Sergeant

Suspended
Jan 17, 2009
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

I heard that one way colleges get away with paying folks without leaving a paper trail is by using Pre-paid Visa cards....anyone else heard this?

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

I heard that one way colleges get away with paying folks without leaving a paper trail is by using Pre-paid Visa cards....anyone else heard this?
The AU way when Lowder had Colonial Bank. When Colonial was closed by the FDIC and taken over by BB&T hope existed for a brief moment that the scheme could unravel if bonds Lowder forced down the throat of Yella Fella, Jimmy Rains went South. It was well known he would sing to save his butt and was involved in lots. Unfortunately for several reasons the SEC/FINRA looked the other way.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

This has been done for years, probably first with loaned out debit cards. The advent of prepaid visa cards and gift cards just made it easier to do without a paper trail. Probably doing it with prepaid cell phones as well now. I think this is the sort of stuff that is overlooked in the realm of college athlete amateurism. Kind of like driving 65mph in a 55mph zone. With advent of the stipend, this kind of stuff may have diminished somewhat. What Ole Miss was doing is like driving 85mph in a 55mph zone - just reckless. There is no practical way for the NCAA to investigate this kind of stuff.

The stuff that Ole Miss was doing and the shenanigans that went down with Cam Newton - the college game just cant have and survive. There are all sorts of unintended consequences if those kind of tactics become the norm that affect more than the team sport such university image, tax exempt status, etc.

I think someone's earlier point about the Power 5 taking a greater role in NCAA enforcement is correct. Having more input on policing themselves and developing a standardized set of penalties for infractions are positive developments from the Power 5 having greater autonomy in the NCAA framework. But if a particular school steps over the line of what is generally allowed within the recruiting and competitive paradigm they will now use the NCAA to put you back in place or make you toe the line of the rulebook for a period of time such that you are not competitive (ie driving 55 while everyone else is going 65).

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Did they cheat? Yes no one is saying they didn't.

Are teams with the same pedigree as... Idk let's pick a non SEC school like FSU or Oklahoma doing the same thing or atleast similar things? Your fooling yourself if you think they aren't.
Well, for a couple of years there were quite a few people saying just that, that Ole Miss didn't cheat. Anyway... There's one big looming question. If everyone is doing the same thing, how did Ole Miss land players like Treadwell? Top receiver, top in his state of Illinois, recruited by Oklahoma for example, yet somehow Ole Miss walked away with the prize (despite his showing no interest in them early). That was one of the smoking guns, what could possibly catch his attention about Ole Miss? Without the explanation of cheating, that question is still unanswered right? The question though is that if everyone is doing it, how did Ole Miss go from what should have been near the bottom of the list (he was recruited by Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, USC, etc...) to the top of the list? The answer is clearly that they in the very least cheated on a level no one else was willing to cheat on! From what I understand, Big 10 schools turned Ole Miss in on that one by the way, or in the very least asked that the NCAA take a closer look.

The problem with the Ole Miss issue is that they can't hide it because they are a program that hasn't had a history of success. The Ole Miss situation seems worse because of how many top athletes they bribed away from top schools. Ole Miss, if they are punished, will face no worse of a penalty than Bama in the early 00's or USC in recent years. The death penalty does not exist anymore, and the NCAA power is barely in existence as well. So it's unlikely anything worse than ours and USC's punishment will happen to Ole Miss. And have my doubts that even they get punished that bad as well.
I can't really argue with these points too much. We agree that their complete lack of legitimate enticement to players made their cheating more obvious and we'd both agree that the death penalty is not a legitimate option in terms of punishment.

However, I do agree with crimsonaudio that we don't need more to be done to kind of balance things again. The issue, to reiterate wasn't merely that of cheating. The issue was buying players. We can blame Auburn for some of this, their buying of Cam was arguably more overt on an individual basis, and probably enticed Ole Miss to go big as well. But, if Ole Miss had gone unpunished, the repercussions would have made their way through the SEC. It wasn't merely what Ole Miss was doing, but how it made the SEC as a whole look and what it would entice other schools to do as well. Long term the implications would be obvious, and even Alabama would find themselves further out on a limb and ultimately in danger. I mean they couldn't allow all the top recruits to be bought by other schools right? On the other hand at some point the NCAA (and other conferences) would get fed up with the SEC buying their top recruits and take up arms against them... Bottom line is Ole Miss needs to be punished and I guess most of us would agree on that.

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

Wasn't Treadwell also photographed flashing a wad of 100s on his trip to Oxford? Not starting rumors...I'll see if I can find the pic.
Well, for a couple of years there were quite a few people saying just that, that Ole Miss didn't cheat. Anyway... There's one big looming question. If everyone is doing the same thing, how did Ole Miss land players like Treadwell? Top receiver, top in his state of Illinois, recruited by Oklahoma for example, yet somehow Ole Miss walked away with the prize (despite his showing no interest in them early). That was one of the smoking guns, what could possibly catch his attention about Ole Miss? Without the explanation of cheating, that question is still unanswered right? The question though is that if everyone is doing it, how did Ole Miss go from what should have been near the bottom of the list (he was recruited by Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, USC, etc...) to the top of the list? The answer is clearly that they in the very least cheated on a level no one else was willing to cheat on! From what I understand, Big 10 schools turned Ole Miss in on that one by the way, or in the very least asked that the NCAA take a closer look.

I can't really argue with these points too much. We agree that their complete lack of legitimate enticement to players made their cheating more obvious and we'd both agree that the death penalty is not a legitimate option in terms of punishment.

However, I do agree with crimsonaudio that we don't need more to be done to kind of balance things again. The issue, to reiterate wasn't merely that of cheating. The issue was buying players. We can blame Auburn for some of this, their buying of Cam was arguably more overt on an individual basis, and probably enticed Ole Miss to go big as well. But, if Ole Miss had gone unpunished, the repercussions would have made their way through the SEC. It wasn't merely what Ole Miss was doing, but how it made the SEC as a whole look and what it would entice other schools to do as well. Long term the implications would be obvious, and even Alabama would find themselves further out on a limb and ultimately in danger. I mean they couldn't allow all the top recruits to be bought by other schools right? On the other hand at some point the NCAA (and other conferences) would get fed up with the SEC buying their top recruits and take up arms against them... Bottom line is Ole Miss needs to be punished and I guess most of us would agree on that.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

Every year, some recruit takes a picture that gets him in hot water and starts a controversy prior to National Signing Day. This year, Ole Miss commit Laquan Treadwell, the nation's No. 1 receiver, decided to be that guy and posted a picture of his hand combing through a pile of money – mostly $100 bills.
View gallery

Of course the picture was deleted immediately, but not before someone got a screen grab and not before the entire Ole Miss-hating world decided to accuse Ole Miss and coach Hugh Freeze of paying its players. I mean, how else does a place like Ole Miss end up being the No. 11 recruiting class in the country according to Rivals.com?Moreover, how does No. 1 overall recruit Robert Nkemdiche narrow his choices down to Ole Miss and LSU? There has to be something nefarious going on there, right? Especially since Treadwell was in Oxford, Miss., with Nkemdiche this past weekend. They must have all gotten paid. It’s the only logical explanation.
First, it’s important to note that recruits do stupid things. All of them; all the time.
Taking pictures with stacks of money isn’t exactly novel and almost 100 percent of the time it’s impossible to connect an ill-advised picture with any sort of NCAA recruiting violation. That money could have come from anywhere or anyone. He could have earned it, saved it and was ready to use it to buy a car. Heck, it could have been Photoshopped into the picture. We don’t know. So trying to find a way to link this money to Ole Miss through this picture is as ridiculous a pursuit as trying to get Treadwell in trouble over a picture of money.
So, let’s just chalk this photo up to what it is – an 18-year-old kid trying to look cool.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

Last thing and I'll let it go...He's from E.St.Louis, Il. That's a very impoverished area...Trip to Oxford and he's digging through 100's?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I'd be careful about throwing stones regarding recruits posting photos flashing cash - we've had a few do that...

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

Good point...I just get going when this topic comes up. Being a Chicago guy (same HS as Johnny Musso's kids!) I still follow IHSA football and this cat had no (ZERO) interest in Oxford at all. It wasn't even being addressed in the Trib or Times in Chicago until he committed.This one (actually that whole class) just gets the heat under my collar turned up.
I'd be careful about throwing stones regarding recruits posting photos flashing cash - we've had a few do that...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Good point...I just get going when this topic comes up. Being a Chicago guy (same HS as Johnny Musso's kids!) I still follow IHSA football and this cat had no (ZERO) interest in Oxford at all. It wasn't even being addressed in the Trib or Times in Chicago until he committed.This one (actually that whole class) just gets the heat under my collar turned up.
A few months back, I heard someone say Treadwell became interested in Ole Miss due to a former teammate (Anthony Standifer) being on the team.

Judging by his Rivals recruiting page, he was solely recruited as a way to get to Treadwell.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

That is pretty much how they got Robert Nkimdeche too.
I was willing to spot Ole Miss a couple of guys in that class. Tony Conner, who from what I understand Alabama expected to land, went to Ole Miss but he's from Mississippi, so I would concede that ground. Then, ok, I'd spot them Robert to because of his brother, despite his leaning towards going elsewhere. That still leaves Treadwell (not at all buying the idea that somehow one former teammate made him really interested in Ole Miss unless that conversation involved a load of cash), and Tunsil as two examples in that class that didn't make sense. Now it does of course since Tunsil came out and said he was paid. I'm sure we'll never know exactly who was paid and how much, but considering they apparently paid people just to visit, I'd guess the question isn't who was paid but how much each one was paid.

Last edited:

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Re: NCAA still investigating Ole Miss football, but announces women's basketball, tra

Now I am shocked So, the article indicates there is more skullduggery around Laremy Tunsil and others at Ole Sis. Of course, this is not unexpected news. No middle of the road team suddenly gets a bunch of 5 stars coming to their school without something going on. Will be interesting going forward.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: NCAA still investigating Ole Miss football, but announces women's basketball, tra

Now I am shocked So, the article indicates there is more skullduggery around Laremy Tunsil and others at Ole Sis. Of course, this is not unexpected news. No middle of the road team suddenly gets a bunch of 5 stars coming to their school without something going on. Will be interesting going forward.
You didn't hear? Hugh Freeze is a great recruiter.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Yahoo reported the NCAA was looking into things after Draft night a few months ago.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Wow, that is a lot of time devoted for things that happened when Houston Nutt was HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.