NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

Wouldn't you think that OM is at that point where alumni and reasonable supporters of the university would demand that the President and or Chancellor step up and act like the adult in the room instead of letting Hugh Freeze bumble his way through another idiotic and embarrassing peformance? Then again, maybe adults are currently in short supply in Oxford.
Agreed. Everytime OM gets somewhat relevant in football the so-called adults do something stupid (see David Cutcliffe).

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

Wouldn't you think that OM is at that point where alumni and reasonable supporters of the university would demand that the President and or Chancellor step up and act like the adult in the room instead of letting Hugh Freeze bumble his way through another idiotic and embarrassing peformance? Then again, maybe adults are currently in short supply in Oxford.
One of the biggest problems with this thought process is that the members of the UMAA (same types now as then) when they went down in flames in 1994, were livid with their Chancellor Gerald Turner for being the adult in the room. Turner fired Brewer and did not argue with any of the NCAA findings----and they got pummeled. They were satisfied with Brewer back then and wanted him to stay. It eventually cost Turner his job and they have been working for 20 years to get the right combination of President, Chancellor, AD, and coach.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia

One of the biggest problems with this thought process is that the members of the UMAA (same types now as then) when they went down in flames in 1994, were livid with their Chancellor Gerald Turner for being the adult in the room. Turner fired Brewer and did not argue with any of the NCAA findings----and they got pummeled. They were satisfied with Brewer back then and wanted him to stay. It eventually cost Turner his job and they have been working for 20 years to get the right combination of President, Chancellor, AD, and coach.

Then I guess they are in good hands. :)

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Ole Miss is a cocoon. Adults aren't in short supply but contact outside Oxford may as well require a passport.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Wouldn't you think that OM is at that point where alumni and reasonable supporters of the university would demand that the President and or Chancellor step up and act like the adult in the room instead of letting Hugh Freeze bumble his way through another idiotic and embarrassing performance?
You have got to be kidding. They've won two in a row against Alabama. You think any alums want to screw with that?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

I hope Freeze is around for us to bury him next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Ehh... I'm not sure that'll happen because every program knows they want the NCAA far away as possible.
Agreed. I heard Sankey interviewed and he said we currently have no teams on probation (that will change soon w/ OM). He said that at one time in the 2000's there were 7 or 8 schools on probation and they made it a goal to reduce/eliminate that number. Our league members know it is bad for the league to start turning on each other and I don't see a SWC scenario. It seems we have been hearing the SWC comparison for 25+ yrs and it has not come to pass yet.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He said in a "rational" universe.
Wasn't commenting on his rational universe comment about OM's punishment. Was addressing the bolded comment about his fear.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Mississippi State has twice been involved in turning in an Alabama school in the last decade...the Cam stuff (more significant) and the Bo Davis-Jeffrey Simmons stuff (not that significant). I'm just wondering what channels they're taking. If it is through the SEC FO first then I imagine it is no hard feelings amongst the members. If they're jumping the chain of command and taking this stuff to the NCAA to drop a dime on their rivals then I wonder if they're going to get a one-on-one with Sankey?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

On the demise of the SWC, it happened for more than just every school being on probation. No doubt that hurt. But every single team was in one state (after Arkansas got the heck out of dodge in 1991). And the reason Arkansas left was tv money in the SEC. This was the beginning of the age of tv revenue exploding. As we saw during the last round of conference realignment, adding new tv markets drove the decisions that schools and conferences made.

The SWC and the Big 8 found themselves in similar situations, with too few schools in too few big tv markets. Texas had also long been looking to separate itself from the small private schools in the SWC. And that's why the broke up and that's why they attempted to join with the Big 8. And that's why I don't think the SEC is headed the way of the SWC any time soon.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama

It sure sounds like the NCAA has the goods on Ole Miss. The question remains as whether the NCAA will make and example of them for the rest of the college football world. If they get slammed really hard, I would be surprised if Freeze and Kiffin survive. But, remember, we are witnessing an era of a NCAA with no grit.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

And you have noticed that Hugh is flying low under all the radars. He might need to learn a thing from Nick about not having a Twitter account.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

It sure sounds like the NCAA has the goods on Ole Miss. The question remains as whether the NCAA will make and example of them for the rest of the college football world. If they get slammed really hard, I would be surprised if Freeze and Kiffin survive. But, remember, we are witnessing an era of a NCAA with no grit.
What does Kiffin have to do with anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.