NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

If it is bad enough for him to lose his job somewhere else, it is bad enough to merit some punishment for the institution.
That's what I'm thinking. It might be that my OM friends are indeed whistling past the graveyard on this one...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

There are a few things going on here and I think we have to keep those in mind.

One, we have some shell-shocked Alabama fans wondering if Ole Miss will "get it" to. I think without a doubt they deserve to get hammered, but that NCAA does indeed seem to be a thing of the past. They aren't going to bomb a program back to the stone age in the way they did it to SMU. They aren't going to hammer a program like they did to Alabama either.

The other is the reminder of the Cam Newton saga, in which it was on the record fact that he was shopped around by his father, who also steered him to Auburn. This was as close as you could get to a public confession of his being paid, yet nothing at all came of it. We'll never be able to reconcile that NCAA with the one that repeatedly stuck it to Alabama. We'll never be able to figure out how textbooks were a bigger deal than Cam Newton getting paid to go to Auburn. We won't figure out how North Carolina and Miami got off lightly. There's no reasonable standard to explain that.

I don't think we need to figure that part out though. In this case, Ole Miss isn't a program like Ohio State, capable of just shrugging off a NCAA wrist slap. This is a program that has to have everything working in their favor to be able to reel in the classes they did. They need people behind the scenes providing the compensation, they need to be able to pretend the program is headed in the right direction, and they need a head coach who is plausibly competent enough to bring it all together. Even the NCAA sniffing around seemed to throw them off their ridiculous, magical, we can land anyone who has us on our list recruiting prowess.

Even though Miami got off with a wrist slap, they are still so off their game that a losing season has become far easier for them than double digit wins. How about Boise State, who after a visit by the NCAA has largely been out of the national conversation, and coincidentally is without their coach, who previously seemed unwilling to leave.

I don't think Ole Miss will actually get hammered, not in the way they deserve, not in the way Alabama fans know the NCAA is capable of. I just don't happen to think they need to be. If the NCAA even pretends to do their job here, it should be enough to shut down the recruit buying factory in Mississippi. Hugh Freeze could decide it's time to look for work elsewhere, recruits could decide they don't want to become involved in that mess, and boosters might actually become hesitant to support a program no longer on the right track, while their actions face additional NCAA scrutiny.

We'll see... but this is about as easy a case for the NCAA as we've seen in a while, and it is also one of the most important. I don't think anyone really wants Ole Miss to keep doing what they've been doing outside of Ole Miss fans. It's a bad look for the SEC, the Big 10 and Big 12 surely can't appreciate having recruits snatched out from underneath them, and all the NCAA has to do is just take the proof they already have, and do their job.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I thought that 9 of the 13 football violations came under Freeze's watch. Did Vaughn still work at Ole Miss under Freeze?
Not that I'm aware. I thought he was part of Nutt's staff.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Not that I'm aware. I thought he was part of Nutt's staff.
Thanks. Then, at most, 4 were aimed at Vaughn. They must be pretty ugly for him to lose his job over 4 violations.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Thanks. Then, at most, 4 were aimed at Vaughn. They must be pretty ugly for him to lose his job over 4 violations.
From what I gather, the violations in football can be broken down into three categories.
A: Violations involving current staff. These all seem to be minor, and they are the only ones we seem to know about with specificity. I suppose that's because Ole Miss had every reason to let those be known.
B: Violations that occurred under the current staff. This is hard to predict, since it seems a lot is going on but this mainly seems to involve Tunsil. It does destroy the narrative that no rules have been broken under the current staff, and there is certainly something to this since Tunsil had to sit several games.
C: Violations involving previous staff members. This is the pretense under which the NCAA was investigating and it seems would give the NCAA all the ammunition that it needs to deal real punishment. We know there's at least one serious violation, and we also know it only takes one if the NCAA is in a particular mood.

The thing about the Texas firing though, is that Texas might not be entirely pleased with Ole Miss coming into their state and taking the top prospect. They might have been more than willing to throw Vaugh under the bus if that helps Ole Miss get what's coming to them.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

There are a few things going on here and I think we have to keep those in mind.

One, we have some shell-shocked Alabama fans wondering if Ole Miss will "get it" to. I think without a doubt they deserve to get hammered, but that NCAA does indeed seem to be a thing of the past. They aren't going to bomb a program back to the stone age in the way they did it to SMU. They aren't going to hammer a program like they did to Alabama either.

The other is the reminder of the Cam Newton saga, in which it was on the record fact that he was shopped around by his father, who also steered him to Auburn. This was as close as you could get to a public confession of his being paid, yet nothing at all came of it. We'll never be able to reconcile that NCAA with the one that repeatedly stuck it to Alabama. We'll never be able to figure out how textbooks were a bigger deal than Cam Newton getting paid to go to Auburn. We won't figure out how North Carolina and Miami got off lightly. There's no reasonable standard to explain that.

I don't think we need to figure that part out though. In this case, Ole Miss isn't a program like Ohio State, capable of just shrugging off a NCAA wrist slap. This is a program that has to have everything working in their favor to be able to reel in the classes they did. They need people behind the scenes providing the compensation, they need to be able to pretend the program is headed in the right direction, and they need a head coach who is plausibly competent enough to bring it all together. Even the NCAA sniffing around seemed to throw them off their ridiculous, magical, we can land anyone who has us on our list recruiting prowess.

Even though Miami got off with a wrist slap, they are still so off their game that a losing season has become far easier for them than double digit wins. How about Boise State, who after a visit by the NCAA has largely been out of the national conversation, and coincidentally is without their coach, who previously seemed unwilling to leave.

I don't think Ole Miss will actually get hammered, not in the way they deserve, not in the way Alabama fans know the NCAA is capable of. I just don't happen to think they need to be. If the NCAA even pretends to do their job here, it should be enough to shut down the recruit buying factory in Mississippi. Hugh Freeze could decide it's time to look for work elsewhere, recruits could decide they don't want to become involved in that mess, and boosters might actually become hesitant to support a program no longer on the right track, while their actions face additional NCAA scrutiny.

We'll see... but this is about as easy a case for the NCAA as we've seen in a while, and it is also one of the most important. I don't think anyone really wants Ole Miss to keep doing what they've been doing outside of Ole Miss fans. It's a bad look for the SEC, the Big 10 and Big 12 surely can't appreciate having recruits snatched out from underneath them, and all the NCAA has to do is just take the proof they already have, and do their job.
Krazy, the one thing that may be different in this case (vs the Cam Newton case) is the fact that some people *may* want to talk to the NCAA about the allegations against Ole Miss. Nobody from Auburn or Cam's camp wanted to talk to the NCAA or give any information about the allegations. The NCAA does not have subpoena power, therefore, no case materialized in regards to Cam. However, if there are folks that feel spurned or wronged by Ole Miss they may have no problem talking to the NCAA..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

This article detailing Louisiana-Lafayette's rebuttal to the NCAA's notice of allegations surrounding David Saunders seems relevant.

Ole Miss became linked to the investigation when NCAA enforcement staff interviewed Saunders on Dec. 16, 2013 about “events that took place while that assistant was employed” elsewhere, according to the Committee on Infractions’ report, which added a football player “that institution recruited” was also part of the interview.

“During the interviews, the enforcement staff believed the former assistant football coach may have known of or may have been involved in NCAA rules violations concerning academic issues while at another member institution,” the Committee on Infractions’ report read.

An NCAA spokeswoman said she couldn’t confirm whether Ole Miss is being or will be investigated in regards to Saunders because of member rules. Ole Miss has not publicly commented on the case outside of athletic director Ross Bjork indicating it was hoping for a quick resolution on the matter.
The NCAA presented its Notice of Allegations against Louisiana-Lafayette on May 22, 2015. The school responded on Aug. 20, 2015, with a 78-page response.

The response described the interview as covering events “while Saunders was employed by Ole Miss (or immediately thereafter) and [athlete’s name redacted] was being recruited by that institution.” It added Ole Miss legal counsel attended the meeting.

“Through the course of those interviews, it became apparent to (Louisiana-Lafayette associate director of athletics for academics and compliance Jessica) Lager that the enforcement staff was testing information that suggested Saunders knew of, or had been involved in, NCAA rules violations of an academic nature while employed at Ole Miss,” the response added.

Saunders worked for two years apiece as the assistant to athletic director for recruiting and coordinator of high school and community college relations from 1998 to 2002 at Ole Miss. He was also an assistant coach in 2006 and a football administrative assistant in 2010.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Sources: Chris Vaugh leaving Texas after being implicated in Ole Miss Scandal.

http://www.hookem.com/story/sources...s-after-being-implicated-in-ole-miss-scandal/
Here's the Horns247 report about it:

Horns247 has learned that Texas and defensive backs coach Chris Vaughn are expected to part ways. It is unclear whether Vaughn will resign or be fired.

Vaughn, who was an assistant at Ole Miss six years ago, may have been implicated in part of the NCAA allegations recently levied against Ole Miss.

Many of the violations involve the staff of current Rebel head coach Hugh Freeze, but per an ESPN report, four of the violations are attached to former Ole Miss staffers under former Rebel head coach Houston Nutt.

Vaughn coached for the Rebels from 2008 to 2011 and served as the team’s defensive backs coach and recruiting coordinator. Sources tell Horns247 the evidence against Vaughn “were damning."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Is there a translator in the house?
Could be completely wrong but I would translate it like this.The "not knowing" part of the tweet referring to the defense tactic of Ole Miss in regards to the allegations, i.e. Ole Miss will claim that it happened under another staff or they didn't know about. He follows that up by basically saying to trust in God for the outcome. That's how I interpret it but who knows..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

You could be right, but even he admitted that he had no idea if a former coach received such a notification. I certainly don't know.
Back to Houston Nutt's quote. Looks like he would have gotten a letter if the NCAA thought he deserved it...

While former University of Miami staff received Notice of Allegations from the NCAA with allegations of violating rules, Alabama Director of Football Operations Joe Pannunzio did not.

Alabama confirmed to AL.com it had not received one as of Wednesday afternoon, and it remained unclear if one ever would arrive.
Link to story

Another thing to consider when looking at Chris Vaughn leaving Texas - Alabama didn't fire Joe Pannunzio. It did punish him, but did not fire him. Texas chose to fire Vaughn.

Neither of Alabama's current or former football staff members factored into the final NCAA report on infractions involving their tenures at the University of Miami.

Though names were not used in the 102-page official report released Tuesday morning, none of the substantiated allegations involved either Joe Pannunzio or Jeff Stoutland. Pannunzio has been Alabama's director of football operations since 2011 and Stoutland was the offensive line coach from 2011-12 before leaving for a job with the Philadelphia Eagles.

The two reportedly cooperated fully with the NCAA investigation.

Neither received a notice of allegations when the school and several former coaches were served in February. Pannunzio was, however, denied a raise and his contract was not extended for a season, according to a report Alabama posted on its compliance website in July.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

Is it just me, or does anyone else just want to say, " Aw c`mon man !! " ?
This is exactly the point where the Blue Tick Hound stepped in----Galatians 6:7 God Be not Mocked: for what soever a man seweth, that shall he also reap.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

If violations occurred what difference does it make if it was under a prior coaching staff? Has it mattered in the past when other schools were penalized?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

If violations occurred what difference does it make if it was under a prior coaching staff? Has it mattered in the past when other schools were penalized?
Didn't matter for us - Fran was in his second season with Bama when the NCAA dropped the hammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.