NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

I hope they don't skate with that "self imposed" punishment. That would be tragic if that happens.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
If Penn St is still able to play football and have some of their sanctions reduced after the travesty that went on there for decades. I have zero confidence the NCAA will do much of anything to Ole Miss. I'm sure their self imposed sanctions will suffice.

Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

If Penn St is still able to play football and have some of their sanctions reduced after the travesty that went on there for decades. I have zero confidence the NCAA will do much of anything to Ole Miss. I'm sure their self imposed sanctions will suffice.
Well, bring that I truly understand what you are saying, it looks like it's going to be tragic. They didn't self report either.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

I believe he was making a tad over $100k. The new job could pay as much as $130k, I believe.

I'm sure we get some kids to transfer in, just because they can make a difference. (Kyler Murray is one that comes to mind.) But, we are competitive in a lot of other sports, and not just football. Our size (around 4800) helps a lot. That, and a lot of the surrounding districts also have a "more affluent" population, so the entire area is a magnet, for folks who want the best for their kids.

But, Murray wasn't living in the bad part of town, before he moved here, either.

And while we are at it.............

The next suburb north is building a $63M stadium. But, it will be smaller than ours. So, which district got the better deal?
I didn't see it but, a buddy said the when he left Allen the DMN had an article stating he made $115K in Allen and would be making a little over $130K in Barbers Hill. If he wanted to stay in Allen I'm pretty sure he could've gotten a little more out of Allen to make the #'s closer. (I know part of it is mandated by the salary guidelines but, they could've done something. )

In regards to stadium, Allen got the better deal...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Completely different circumstances. Penn State didn't violate any NCAA rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Completely different circumstances. Penn State didn't violate any NCAA rules.

Sigh, seriously? Sexual assault with minors shouldn't have to be in the NCAA rulebook...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Sigh, seriously? Sexual assault with minors shouldn't have to be in the NCAA rulebook...
He's right, though - just because the NCAA doesn't like something it doesn't mean they have the jurisdiction to rule against the school.

That said, I was happy the NCAA tried. I still think State Penn should be burned to the ground.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

JBama_in_PCOLA;2827642[B said:
]I hope they don't skate with that "self imposed" punishment.[/B] That would be tragic if that happens.

Would absolutely not surprise me in the least. Matter of fact, that`s what I`m pretty much expecting. One of those things in life that you`d love to be wrong about.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He's right, though - just because the NCAA doesn't like something it doesn't mean they have the jurisdiction to rule against the school.

That said, I was happy the NCAA tried. I still think State Penn should be burned to the ground.
Exactly.

I was in favor of the punishment at the time but have realized the NCAA overstepped its jurisdiction.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

I didn't see it but, a buddy said the when he left Allen the DMN had an article stating he made $115K in Allen and would be making a little over $130K in Barbers Hill. If he wanted to stay in Allen I'm pretty sure he could've gotten a little more out of Allen to make the #'s closer. (I know part of it is mandated by the salary guidelines but, they could've done something. )
It would be hard to give a pay raise, to a coach that DID NOT win a State championship, while the teachers would not be getting any raise.

(Yes, I know.............how can you folks spend $60M on a stadium, and not pay the teachers. They get paid from different revenue streams. Even though they had their salaries frozen, they are among the best paid teachers around. School funding is a mess, and something the Texas legislature is going to take up, next session.)

In regards to stadium, Allen got the better deal...
Si.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Hugh Freeze on NCAA troubles surrounding Ole Miss: 'I own it'

Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze told ESPN.com on Monday that he accepts responsibility for the Rebels' NCAA troubles, but he adamantly denies that he or anybody on his staff knowingly violated rules.

Ole Miss last week self-imposed the loss of 11 football scholarships over a four-year period from 2015-18 as part of its response to an NCAA Notice of Allegations, stemming from an NCAA investigation into the Rebels' athletic department that began nearly four years ago and turned up 28 rules violations in football, women's basketball and track and field. Of the 13 alleged violations in football, nine were committed on Freeze's watch, and four were the more serious Level I violations.

"The first thing I would say is that I own it. That's part of it when you're the head coach. You take the good with the bad," said Freeze, who's in Sandestin for the SEC spring meetings. "But there's a big difference between making mistakes in recruiting and going out there with the intent to cheat. I don't have any information that anybody on my staff has been involved in any illegal payments to players or offering any inducements to players, and if I did have that information, I would fire them."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

Going to repost what I posted Friday. Hugh says they didn't willingly cheat. They gave recruits multiple official visits and made personalized videos of recruits in Ole Miss gear. They don't know those are violations?

Reminder, recruits get five official visits (university pays for hotel and transportation for the recruit) but can only use one per school...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Going to repost what I posted Friday. Hugh says they didn't willingly cheat. They gave recruits multiple official visits and made personalized videos of recruits in Ole Miss gear. They don't know those are violations?
This would be such a dangerous game with the old NCAA...

Ole Miss is trying the Auburn approach, but with damning evidence already on the record. I think the Auburn stonewall might have worked if not for Tunsil, but he's blown that wall up twice already. Now they're still not firing people, and they're still basically claiming ignorance, even in the face of a lot hard evidence. The risk though, is that the NCAA wakes up, realizes that Ole Miss still payed players while under investigation, sees that Ole Miss is basically dodging responsibility, not willing to punish people responsible, and does their job.

Playing the Auburn game, with less to gain and more evidence against them is bewildering at this point. It is like their entire approach was built around the Tunsil stuff never coming out, and now that it has they're pretty unwilling to change their tune. It just seems like it could blow up in their face, but perhaps now they look at it like what they have accepted is bad enough, anything worse and they might as well bury the program. How deep really might not matter to them.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I would like to know why any SEC school would hire a guy with 6 years experience in college football of which 3 of those years included head coaching at Lambuth and AR State? Would it be that he would turn a blind eye to the alumni and boosters cheating ways?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Ole Miss is trying the Auburn approach, but with damning evidence already on the record. I think the Auburn stonewall might have worked if not for Tunsil, but he's blown that wall up twice already. Now they're still not firing people, and they're still basically claiming ignorance, even in the face of a lot hard evidence. The risk though, is that the NCAA wakes up, realizes that Ole Miss still payed players while under investigation, sees that Ole Miss is basically dodging responsibility, not willing to punish people responsible, and does their job.

Playing the Auburn game, with less to gain and more evidence against them is bewildering at this point. It is like their entire approach was built around the Tunsil stuff never coming out, and now that it has they're pretty unwilling to change their tune. It just seems like it could blow up in their face, but perhaps now they look at it like what they have accepted is bad enough, anything worse and they might as well bury the program. How deep really might not matter to them.
Krazy, what`s your honest opinion on how all this will turn out for OM ?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Don't know how much the timing will affect this too. Remember the Auburn scandal was taking place during a Heisman season for Scam and during the national championship season for Auburn. The NCAA seemed to not want to disrupt what was happening.

Will/could this change how they might deal with OM during this offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.