NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR251

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2011
Mobile, Al
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

A news dump after all the Baylor news and on the Friday before Memorial Day weekend :biggrin:

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

Honestly, the payola is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be (and not nearly as bad as it probably really is). But the ACT fraud and "lying to the fuzz".....no telling what will happen from here. Not good for them.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA

Bama had to vacate 21 wins because some players got extra textbooks and/or school supplies....some valued as low as $1.35.
yes but when added up the NCAA came to $40,000 total and $21,000 for student athletes.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Honestly, the payola is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be (and not nearly as bad as it probably really is). But the ACT fraud and "lying to the fuzz".....no telling what will happen from here. Not good for them.
That's the key part, we know on a factual basis there's more going on. Tunsil admitted it, we saw the texts and know just in his case there were reoccurring payments. Considering this is dotted with other things involving him, if you start to total it, it does add up. But this report doesn't even touch on stuff like Treadwell, and it stands to reason that they would exercise the most precaution when it came to the worst things. I mean this report has a lot, but it darn sure missed the whole a coach was paying him on a monthly basis thing... the NCAA shouldn't be done though, that one was gift wrapped for them.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

That's the key part, we know on a factual basis there's more going on. Tunsil admitted it, we saw the texts and know just in his case there were reoccurring payments. Considering this is dotted with other things involving him, if you start to total it, it does add up. But this report doesn't even touch on stuff like Treadwell, and it stands to reason that they would exercise the most precaution when it came to the worst things. I mean this report has a lot, but it darn sure missed the whole a coach was paying him on a monthly basis thing... the NCAA shouldn't be done though, that one was gift wrapped for them.
Ole Miss has requested their hearing to be rescheduled until the Tunsil stuff is complete. IOW, this doesn't even address Laremy Tunsil and the draft night fiasco.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Ole Miss has requested their hearing to be rescheduled until the Tunsil stuff is complete. IOW, this doesn't even address Laremy Tunsil and the draft night fiasco.
smart of them, delaying the inevitable while adding this to the same case rather than this popping up later in a separate NOA

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Finebaum has spent the last few months giving the "Move along, nothing to see here" line. I wonder just how much ole miss paid him to do their commencement address last year to garner some damage control for the future?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

What I find most amusing about this story is the embarrassment of OM's fanbase and head coach after touting moral superiority and claiming integrity. Remember all those tweets about "God's plan" and creating false persecution & the need to persevere? To me this is more embarrassing than the allegations themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Comments on the reported self-imposed sanctions. Posted by POCKET Ole Miss' SECRant message board:

Self imposed penalties for football:
- Disassociation with an organization and four people for three years - Sucks for them but I don't care
- Rules education okay
- Recruiting suspension for two assistant coaches Who are the coaches, how long, and to what extent?
- Reduction in schollys and in state aid What is the number reduction?
- Reductions in OVs and etc Shouldn't matter too much as long as it isn't a huge number. Coaches will just get to focus more on the ones that are there
- Monetary fine of about $160k who cares.. we've paid more for backup kickers
:rofl:

The comments in bold and in red are those of the guy on the OM site. They're not mine.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Comments on the reported self-imposed sanctions. Posted by POCKET Ole Miss' SECRant message board:

:rofl:
These are what I saw as well.
The Coaches are Lane Kiffin's Brother for several violations--Providing lodging for recruited players families, contacting recruits in the dead period, and a couple of less serious issues.
The other coach I can't recall.
I don't think the suspensions were identified.(Could be wrong)
The scholarship reduction is 11, but in sum over a four year period.
It's like one next year, 2 the year after, then four and four. (Whoohoo)
The fine is accurate. I think 159,000 is exact but not sure.
They are reporting the misdemeanors in what should be a homicide case. You wouldn't believe the stuff that's actually been going on there.
I've talked with people who are Ole Miss Alumni who are shaking their heads in disbelief at how out of hand the violations have truly been. The illegal benefits they reported are pennies compared to the thousands that changed hands.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

And the beautiful part about the delay (while they figure out what lie they want to tell) is that the discovery regarding Tunsil's step daddy continues, as well as discovery in ULL's suit against ACT. There's more coming that will be public information.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

What I find most amusing about this story is the embarrassment of OM's fanbase and head coach after touting moral superiority and claiming integrity. Remember all those tweets about "God's plan" and creating false persecution & the need to persevere? To me this is more embarrassing than the allegations themselves.

More embarassing...and more disgusting. It really gets under my skin when someone who gets caught with the hand in the cookie jar starts yapping about how "this is all part of God's plan" yada yada yada...whatever. No dude, I'm sorry, but God's plan is for you to do what you're supposed to do to begin with. He's not going to throw you away when you screw up, but He ain't exactly celebrating either, Jack.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala

There is no doubt in my mind that what has been reported is just the tip of the iceberg. I wonder what their class will like next year with the "advantages" ending. I bet they don't get the No. 1 OL, WR and DL.............

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

Well Pete Thamel at SI isnt letting them slide. He even says the NCAA can suspend Freeze up to the entire season because he is responsible for his assistant coaches. I just hope the NCAA conducts the hearing this summer and continues to investigate the Tumstil allegations as a separate incident. It will be interesting to see if the NCAA cuts Ole Miss any slack. I think Freeze rants about it not occurring on his watch will get him some time off for a few games to think about twitter and his loose lips. http://www.campusrush.com/ole-miss-sanctions-hugh-freeze-baylor-1824772882.html

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN

There is no doubt in my mind that what has been reported is just the tip of the iceberg. I wonder what their class will like next year with the "advantages" ending. I bet they don't get the No. 1 OL, WR and DL.............
I don't think the "advantages" will or can end. If that happens, the ones who are already on the payroll could begin to talk if their "advantages" are discontinued. Now, new recruits may not get the advantages.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

The key here is we're just seeing bare minimum. There's more that can still come out from pending court cases, I don't see the NCAA lettings the whole Tunsil draft day thing go (let's face it, it made the NCAA look bad), and I can't imagine that even if there was nothing else, the NCAA would accept the punishment Ole Miss gave itself. Having said that though, the punishment Ole Miss gave themselves will hurt.

Ole Miss isn't really good enough to shrug off the lost scholarships and they're not likely to manage to keep up their recruiting prowess with the NCAA sniffing around. This means that by the time this is over, Ole Miss will be back to being Ole Miss and bringing up the rear of the division.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala

That is part of what got SMU the death penalty. They kept meeting "payroll".

I don't think the "advantages" will or can end. If that happens, the ones who are already on the payroll could begin to talk if their "advantages" are discontinued. Now, new recruits may not get the advantages.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

I remember the #1 OT recruit(Little) who chose OM over Bama. He said one of the reasons he picked OM was because Freeze would help him with spiritual matters. I wonder how he feels now.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

I remember the #1 OT recruit(Little) who chose OM over Bama. He said one of the reasons he picked OM was because Freeze would help him with spiritual matters. I wonder how he feels now.
Hold up... did you really believe Little was serious? I bet the only thing Greg is worried about is whether his "spiritual matters" will continue to be paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.