NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Re: Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

What does this have to do with Mississippi?
Good question. Actually, very little. Jerrell Powe, who ended up at Ole Miss, committed somewhere else before he flipped to LSU, before he flipped to his "dream school" Ole Miss. If the time line is correct, Powe already had a passing ACT score before David Saunders left Millsaps and landed on Ed Orgeron's staff at Ole Miss. Not certain Saunders would have been recruiting the #1 defensive tackle in the country to go to Millsaps at the time Powe supposedly passed the ACT. And if he was, the chances of him getting into Millsaps would have been slim and none. Conventional wisdom is that "someone" paid to get Powe through the ACT. That "someone" most likely was NOT Ole Miss.

Powe's mentor was a real estate appraiser. The mentor's brother was a Forestry consultant in Atlanta. The consultant's son went to school at Auburn---Forestry. Isn't that what Jimmy Rane does? Powe committed to Auburn during the Army All American game. Powe used this guy as an attorney:

http://www.thesportsgroup.org/about.html

I wonder how he got hooked up with a lawyer in Montgomery?

The lumber mill in Wayne County is owned by this company:

http://www.scotchplywood.com/about.html

Headquartered in Fulton, AL-----10 miles from Monroeville, AL
Home of this guy:

http://www.harriganlumber.com/about.html

Quote - Dwight's oldest son William D. "Chip" Harrigan III joined the company in 1989 after graduating from Auburn University in Industrial Management.
Quote - Dwight's youngest son Patrick joined the company in July of 2000 after graduating from Auburn with a degree in Business Management.

Might be that a little digging will reveal where the Wayne County War Eagles got their name and how connected a former coach at Wayne County (ex of Cottonwood, AL) is to Barry Moore, Mike Hubbard, Milton McGreggor, Bill Baxley, etc...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The day after the Baylor story and the Friday before Memorial Day, Ole Miss releases its Notice of Allegations. Link

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Some reaction to the report:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Yea the timing is very suspicious considering the Baylor situation yesterday. Ole Miss was just waiting for something like that to happen to slip in this release..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Timing of release was obviously deliberate.

There's some serious stuff there to. These are not minor allegations and certainly involved the current coach.

Apparently the compliance staff was aware that a player had a vehicle that made him ineligible but didn't do their job. I'm not sure what they mean by "representative of the institution's athletic interests" but that sounds a bit worse than rogue booster, whoever they were they gave a player money. It sounds like Chris Kiffin really stepped in it. Not huge violations but enough that he's not looking very good. Ironically it could just be that he was the only honest coach on the staff.

A quick glance and I'm counting 4 level 1 violations under Freeze. I'm not even halfway through the document. This is damning stuff, and it sure seems like the Tunsil draft day stuff and ongoing saga just wraps it up with a bow. Current coaches were involved, serious infractions were committed, and somehow this thing doesn't even include the worst of what seems to have gone on.

Bottom line? 28 separate allegations many of which involved multiple incidents. Coaches involved, ineligible players playing. There's nothing in there about Tunsil being paid by a coach for instance though, this could still get worse, a lot worse but it's bad as far as I can tell. Should be plenty to shut down their prospect buying business for a while.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I get the feeling that those self-imposed penalties are going to be piled upon by the NCAA.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Read that 8 of the 13 violations for Ole Miss football are deemed level 1 violations which are the most serious..

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Ole Miss released an infographic only to season ticket holders and password protected which in 2016 means that it will be public within minutes, so here you go

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I get the feeling that those self-imposed penalties are going to be piled upon by the NCAA.
Yes, it's hard to imagine they are nearly sufficient enough. The NCAA shouldn't be done with allegations anyway. Also, it seems that Ole Miss is somehow trying to pretend all these things don't really add up to something bigger.

Read that 8 of the 13 violations for Ole Miss football are deemed level 1 violations which are the most serious..
Yeah, there's a lot of serious stuff there. I don't think there's anything with Treadwell though, whose recruitment really raised a lot of questions about Ole Miss. The really big, gift wrapped Tunsil stuff isn't there either from what I can tell. He's there, but there's no, received money from a head coach talk about him as far as I can tell. That's big, and in and of itself would have been enough to get them in a lot of trouble.

Glad Ole Miss might finally get what's been coming to them. At the same time, hate to have the NCAA snooping around so close to home.
I understand the point, but I really want things cleaned up because like bicycle racing in the Lance Armstrong era, things reached the point were everyone felt they had to cheat to win (and there is evidence that was in fact the case). After what Auburn did, which let's face it, they bought a championship, I was worried it would embolden others and then Ole Miss decided they could just go out and buy several top recruits. If the NCAA doesn't deal with this now, it will only get worse and we can all imagine the scenario where Alabama is the school that finally has to pay a price for what is going on... (besides losing to teams with players who are bought and paid for, that's not supposed to happen either).

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I have a hard time believing those self-imposed penalties are going to be all that happens, but with the NCAA as it is now, no telling.

These allegations re far more serious than the OM fans 'in the know' suggested...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I have a hard time believing those self-imposed penalties are going to be all that happens, but with the NCAA as it is now, no telling.

These allegations re far more serious than the OM fans 'in the know' suggested...
Ole Miss also lied to recruits when "sources" leaked right before NSD that the violations contained in the NOA were all pre Freeze..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Self imposed scholarship restrictions for Ole Miss Football:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.