NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

Freeze told team "Because if it was up to the NCAA, we were six foot under already. We're dead and buried and gone. Gone."

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

Don't think so - unless Mr Freeze went from the private high school Oher was at to Sprindale Arkansas

Edit - oops - that was the Gus Bus carrying the Springdale 5

Yeah he was at Briarcrest - coached both Oher & Greg Hardy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now what really becomes stranger than fiction is that Larry Fedora would find Trey Scott and put him with Gene Chizik and Gunter Brewer. We all know about Chizik. And please don't forget the SACs / Suessiology scandal of 2004 when Chizik was the DC under Tubberville. Let's look at Gunter's past----

GA at Ole Miss - 1988 thru 1991 - Ole Miss goes on probation in 1994 for violation between 1988 and 1992. This was in the days before the interwebs and I can't find academic fraud listed in the allegations. Doesn't mean they don't exist, just means I can't find them.

WR coach at Marshall - 1996 - 1999 - Marshall goes on probation in 2001 for violations committed between 1996 and 1999 including but not limited to, academic fraud.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/2001-12-21-marshall-probation.htm

WR coach at N. Carolina 2000 - 2004. North Carolina was investigated under Butch Davis who took over the program in 2007. The investigation uncovered academic fraud that dates back many years, including 2000 to 2004.

WR coach at Oklahoma State - 2005 - 2010 - in 2014 OSU was investigated for academic fraud that happened between 2008 and 2012.

Associate Head coach Ole Miss - 2011 - on the same staff with Chris Vaughn who is about to get hit with a show cause for academic fraud.

Co-Offensive Coordinator - UNC 2012 - 2015 - UNC has been under investigation for academic fraud since Gunter returned.

How's that for getting out one step in front of the law? Maybe it caught up with him?

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Now what really becomes stranger than fiction is that Larry Fedora would find Trey Scott and put him with Gene Chizik and Gunter Brewer. We all know about Chizik. And please don't forget the SACs / Suessiology scandal of 2004 when Chizik was the DC under Tubberville. Let's look at Gunter's past----

GA at Ole Miss - 1988 thru 1991 - Ole Miss goes on probation in 1994 for violation between 1988 and 1992. This was in the days before the interwebs and I can't find academic fraud listed in the allegations. Doesn't mean they don't exist, just means I can't find them.

WR coach at Marshall - 1996 - 1999 - Marshall goes on probation in 2001 for violations committed between 1996 and 1999 including but not limited to, academic fraud.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/2001-12-21-marshall-probation.htm

WR coach at N. Carolina 2000 - 2004. North Carolina was investigated under Butch Jones who took over the program in 2007. The investigation uncovered academic fraud that dates back many years, including 2000 to 2004.

WR coach at Oklahoma State - 2005 - 2010 - in 2014 OSU was investigated for academic fraud that happened between 2008 and 2012.

Associate Head coach Ole Miss - 2011 - on the same staff with Chris Vaughn who is about to get hit with a show cause for academic fraud.

Co-Offensive Coordinator - UNC 2012 - 2015 - UNC has been under investigation for academic fraud since Gunter returned.
Lots of smoke - must be a fire somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

Gunter Brewer - son of the last Ole Miss coach to get them in a world of trouble../
Selmaborn, North MS folks who know former players tell me Dog is still more than a little peeved over how he was treated in 1994. Gerald Turner threw him under the bus and let the NCAA run over him and back up and run over him again, and even encouraged it. Reckon Gunter would consider a little payback? He can most likely connect several dots that would put Freezus in the limelight.
The school and the Athletic Department are doing everything they can to save Brother Hugh and they left Dog all by himself to face the music.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Here are the words of Billy Brewer in SI in 1993, the Ole Miss sleazy head coach who got them hit with major sanctions twice:

Sherrill was by now used to being demonized. Just the year before, Ole Miss coach Billy Brewer had accused him of being a snob and a liar, among other things. Sherrill cheats, Brewer said, in the fashion of "all those [Bear] Bryant boys like Charley Pell and Danny Ford." Brewer added, "I saw him at a function in Jackson in December, and he came into the room and didn't acknowledge a damned soul. He's high-hattin' everybody. When he takes off his coat, he hands it to an assistant coach to hold. That's just the way he is."

========

Now let me translate this for you: "the only reason Alabama whips our ash is because they cheat. Bear Bryant was the biggest cheater ever and he taught all his assistants how to be sleazy cheaters. I, on the other hand, am an honest head coach."

==========

There's only one thing worse than a cheater and that's a pretentious hypocrite. Billy Brewer was and is a lying sack of excrement who cheated while pointing the finger at everyone else. He cheated worse than any of them and still was nothing more than a .500 coach.

And here's an amusing allegation proven true while Brewer was there:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1994-09-30/sports/9409300362_1_ncaa-committee-ole-ncaa-sanctions

The most embarrassing allegation - which the school has admitted - involves two boosters who provided extra benefits to recruits. One of those recruits, Chris Hill, was taken to a Memphis strip club, where booster Mac Dyer paid for table dances for Hill and for Hill to have his picture made with one of the topless dancers sitting on his lap.
The dancer gave Hill her blouse and a signed poster. Hill, now a wide receiver at Louisiana State, said he gave the blouse to his little sister, the poster to his little brother and the picture with the woman - to the NCAA.

================

I guess Brewer the cheater taught his boy not well enough. Just think: if he could have cheated like (he alleges) Coach Bryant did, Brewer would have six national championships.

I'll bet he really believes that, too.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

Sherrill cheats, Brewer said, in the fashion of "all those [Bear] Bryant boys like Charley Pell and Danny Ford."
That's rich considering Brewer's buddy Red Parker had pretty much established the Clemson way before Pell or Ford ever stepped foot on campus. The same way the #Network was hatched in the Vaught years. Brewer just used it better than anybody else.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

That's rich considering Brewer's buddy Red Parker had pretty much established the Clemson way before Pell or Ford ever stepped foot on campus. The same way the #Network was hatched in the Vaught years. Brewer just used it better than anybody else.

I lived in Mississippi during much of Brewer's Reign of Error; in fact, Brewer was from my 'hometown' in Columbus and matriculated from S.D. Lee High School.

Here's some more fun:

In August 1991 - before Jackie Sherrill had ever even coached a single game at Mississippi State - Brewer "accused Sherrill of influencing a Rebels prospect to go to Colorado, a charge Sherrill doesn't so much deny as ignore."

And this:

The committee also found former football coach Billy Brewer guilty of unethical conduct,
a charge not contained in the original letter of inquiry. The committee imposed a penalty that all but bars Brewer from another NCAA coaching job for four years.

Btw - I was reading about Red Parker's passing earlier this year and one article quoted Parker as saying that Coach Bryant had warned him - "Pell is deceitful." Of course, Pell has been dead for 15 years now and Bryant more than twice that long so...maybe Parker was just trying to stick the knife in years later.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

I guess Brewer the cheater taught his boy not well enough. Just think: if he could have cheated like (he alleges) Coach Bryant did, Brewer would have six national championships.

I'll bet he really believes that, too.
Being of a certain age myself, I can say: Brewer is in his 80's, he probably believes WalMart sells Rolexes. He has always been a dope and a loser, and those traits don't get cuter with age.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Rumor has it that the NCAA is ticked off at Freeze for his actions and attitude in all of this, not unlike they were ticked at Bruce Pearl. If what I'm hearing is true, this could get bad for OM and Freeze.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I hope they are as ticked off at Freeze as they were at Coach Stallings. But this is a difference set of punishment now, still I hope they get nailed but good.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

It's amazing how much power two wins in a row against Alabama and Nick Saban can buy for somebody. I really think if not for that and that alone, Freeze would have already been fired.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Eh, they won't fire Freeze until/unless the sanctions are imminent.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

All the more to my point and I'm not sure they will even if that happens. Ole Miss fans haven't had this much to cheer about on the field since the early 1960's, even if it is ill-gotten gains. They are all-in on Freeze.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

The operative terms. Even with everything that appears to be bubbling, color me cynical if you will, I`m far from certain that there will be any sanctions such that we all will say " OM got truly hammered ". Just don`t know if the NCAA has it in them. Guess we`ll see eventually.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The NCAA has to pick their battles. Ole Miss seems to be the one that they've picked to be their every half decade or so public crucifixion.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Don't be too sure they'll fire him even then. Brewer survived in large part because they somehow managed to buy the notion he knew nothing about the first set of sanctions in 1986. Here's what Brewer actually said at a press conference the day the 1987-88 sanctions were handed out (10 lost schollies, no bowl or TV appearances in 1987, two stars declared ineligible):

"We have made some mistakes. We are being punished for those mistakes, and we do not intend to ever be in this situation again."

So what happened? Ole Miss rallied around paralyzed freshman Chuckie Mullins in 1990 and had a year for the ages (by their standards), winding up in the Gator Bowl before Michigan blasted them, 35-3. Mullins died in May 1991. MSU had hired Sherrill and Brewer immediately began whining that Sherrill was a cheater and a sleaze ball.

And then in 1992 - according to "Meat Market: Inside the Smash-Mouth World of College Football Recruiting" by Bruce Feldman, this is what happened:

"In 1992, a booster took four Rebel recruits to a Memphis strip club and asked what it would take for them to sign with Ole Miss - before offering a player a new Mustang to sign. On another occasion, an Ole Miss assistant coach offered a defensive back prospect cash and airline tickets..."

The story came out in late 1993 and OM chancellor Gerald Turner sent Brewer packing before what was expected to be a 'SEC championship contender' in 1994.

Freeze has beaten Alabama AND MSU the last two years. And while I was not around like some of you (and this may seem impossible for a lot of you to believe) there was a time (1958-1962) when Ole Miss was every bit the national power that Alabama was (some of you who were alive no doubt recall this). The two teams did not play for 20 years until the 1964 Sugar Bowl (we won, 12-7). I know this perception existed because when I first became an Alabama fan and then moved to Mississippi in 1979, there were still people alive who remembered it and lived it every single day around me. Their version of history goes like this: "We were a big deal and that cheater Bear Bryant went to Alabama and made them great and we sank because we play by the rules."

I'm deadly serious folks - I lived there and experienced it most of the time from 1979-2001.

Brewer exemplified it and was willing to come out and make the double-stage connection (he'd never say "Bryant cheated" because who is going to let a .500 coach get away with that kind of excuse? He'd say, "That guy cheats like all those other Bryant assistants" in political speak so he could achieve the same insult by innuendo). I have far more respect for a Lane Kiffin, who made the silly charge against Urban Meyer, than for the sleazy Billy Brewer way of doing things.

And he kept his job. Why? Because in 1988, he beat Alabama in BDS. It was no doubt the highlight win of his pathetic career.

Hugh Freeze is so much like Brewer, it isn't funny. Remember his now deleted tweet in all its sanctimony and self-righteousness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.