NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

Guess that speaks to the " if any " part of my post above.
It has been reported that they have records of actual payments made to Tunsil and his family. It helps when the player involved cooperates with the NCAA.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

And if the NCAA investigation of Cam showed us anything, it is that they will not accept recorded offers of payment and/or discussions of offers of payment to attend a school as evidence that a payment was actually made.
If only what you said were true. The NCAA decides when / if it will punish teams on what appears to be pure whim. There's literally zero consistency, which is why many of us want to see the P5 teams leave and start their own division, completely apart from the NCAA.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

If only what you said were true. The NCAA decides when / if it will punish teams on what appears to be pure whim. There's literally zero consistency, which is why many of us want to see the P5 teams leave and start their own division, completely apart from the NCAA.
Can't argue with that. As I have stated many times in the past, I hate the NCAA.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Released)

That is exactly what the Ole Miss spin machine wants everyone to see from their slanted reporting. "This is not an Ole Miss problem". This is a jealous "little brother" problem. Never mind that they've been cheating their behinds off ---- never mind that Barney has been using a burner phone to call recruits, I presume to avoid NCAA limits and time constraints-----never mind that the head coach goes with boosters to in home visits and has boosters bring recruits to his home ---- never mind that they have been caught fixing ACT scores ----- never mind that Ole Miss has had three years or more to come clean about phone calls -----

never mind all that, this is a snitch problem.
Oh don't get me wrong. Ole Miss is guilty as sin. I just find it interesting that Miss State is behind almost every single recruiting investigation in the West for the last 7yrs or so. Basically since Mullen has been there. I think they have tried turning us in for stuff too. Maybe Bo Davis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Friend just sent me this: "The Ole Miss message boards are in flames right now. NCAA apparently all over Oxford. This is gonna get interesting."

Nafoom is down...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Friend just sent me this: "The Ole Miss message boards are in flames right now. NCAA apparently all over Oxford. This is gonna get interesting."

Nafoom is down...

That's the thing about making deals with the devil. At some point he's going to show up to collect.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA

Nafoom is down...
My favorite part of it is after all the blatant payouts to recruits and players, they never even won their division.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Ole sis has a new line to give recruits: "Sign with us and we can guarantee you will be home for all of the holidays"

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

Wonder if any of us will live long enough to see what, if any, NCAA sanctions are levied against Ole Miss ?
Have they given any kind of time line?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Have they given any kind of time line?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
They were set to go before the NCAA a few months ago. Then, the second investigation began. Word is the second letter of NOA arrived in Oxford a few weeks ago. There's been no confirmation, though. If it has, OM will have to respond fairly soon. That would make it go public like the first one.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

Nafoom is down...
North MS connections say the uproar is over the perceived shortcomings of the compliance department. For almost a year now Joe Average fan has told us about the UM compliance department being out in front of all these reports. This was "self reported" and that was "self reported"----everything we've heard to now has been that Ole Miss and the NCAA are working together to investigate a few things and everything has been "self reported". Women's basketball was "self reported". Track was "self reported". Laremy Tunsil's borrowed cars were "self reported". This information regarding the local clothing establishment, Rebel Rags, was provided by one of the players under immunity and playing at "another school" and certainly was NOT self reported. The NCAA showed up to ask questions before the compliance department could investigate/warn and the NCAA was even accompanied by a local UM lawyer.

Insinuation is that the school administration is starting to wrestle the investigation away from the athletics department. Truth will begin to take hold.

Standard interview procedure says that the last question asked of anyone at a school under investigation is "is there anything else that you would like to tell us about?" I think they have discovered that this one "should have been" self reported.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

North MS connections say the uproar is over the perceived shortcomings of the compliance department. For almost a year now Joe Average fan has told us about the UM compliance department being out in front of all these reports. This was "self reported" and that was "self reported"----everything we've heard to now has been that Ole Miss and the NCAA are working together to investigate a few things and everything has been "self reported". Women's basketball was "self reported". Track was "self reported". Laremy Tunsil's borrowed cars were "self reported". This information regarding the local clothing establishment, Rebel Rags, was provided by one of the players under immunity and playing at "another school" and certainly was NOT self reported. The NCAA showed up to ask questions before the compliance department could investigate/warn and the NCAA was even accompanied by a local UM lawyer.

Insinuation is that the school administration is starting to wrestle the investigation away from the athletics department. Truth will begin to take hold.

Standard interview procedure says that the last question asked of anyone at a school under investigation is "is there anything else that you would like to tell us about?" I think they have discovered that this one "should have been" self reported.
What's the story with Rebel Rags?

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

For almost a year now Joe Average fan has told us about the UM compliance department being out in front of all these reports. This was "self reported" and that was "self reported"----everything we've heard to now has been that Ole Miss and the NCAA are working together to investigate a few things and everything has been "self reported"...Laremy Tunsil's borrowed cars were "self reported".
Does Laremy Tunsil's instagram postings count as self reporting? :tongue:

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

What's the story with Rebel Rags?

Truth is that no one knows for sure yet. NCAA went straight there after getting the information from the player of another school who says he received several hundred $ worth of free merchandise. This is not news. This happened several months ago but the leak just took place. Company line is that it is a tee-shirt shop. Reality? Who knows.
Bears are upset because they want the NCAA out of Oxford. The people who can make that happen are just now getting involved and Joe Fan doesn't want those people involved because they are not sticking to the script written by the Athletic Department and #thenetwork.

Suspicion is it has been a stop off point for jeans, polos, sweaters, etc... for a hundred years.

Edited to add "NOT sticking to the script"------

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Ole Miss has announced that co-offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Dan Werner and assistant AD of high school relations Barney Farrar will not return next season. Werner had been on the staff for the past five years.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Ole Miss has announced that co-offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Dan Werner and assistant AD of high school relations Barney Farrar will not return next season. Werner had been on the staff for the past five years.
Barney has already been discussed. Let's take a look at Dan Werner's coaching history...

Dan Werner, a highly successful veteran offensive mind, is in his fifth season as head coach Hugh Freeze’s co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach.
This marks Werner’s second term at Ole Miss, having worked alongside Freeze on the Rebels’ offensive staff in 2006 and 2007.
Werner boasts three decades of coaching experience, including a total of eight years in two terms at the University of Miami when he tutored outstanding quarterbacks and directed some of the best offenses in college football.

Werner helped Miami to eight bowls, four national championship games and three national titles during his combined tenure. He also played an integral part in the development of several of the Hurricanes’ greatest QBs, including 2001 Maxwell Award winner Ken Dorsey, 1992 Heisman Trophy winner Gino Torretta as well as Heisman candidates Steve Walsh and Craig Erickson.

The Miami passing game flourished under Werner’s guidance. In 2001 and 2002, Dorsey posted totals impressive enough to place high in voting for the Heisman Trophy both years. In 2004, he tutored Brock Berlin to a resurgence, as Berlin moved into the Miami record book with single-season rankings of seventh in touchdown passes, ninth in passing yards, and 10th in total offense.

Over his last five seasons (2001-05) at Miami, Hurricane quarterbacks threw for more than 14,500 yards and 114 touchdowns under Werner, giving balance to an offensive philosophy predicated on equality between the run and the pass. The 2005 Canes finished 9-3 and ranked third in the Atlantic Coast Conference in scoring offense (27.1) and pass efficiency (133.6).

Prior to his lone season at Murray State, Werner was an offensive consultant to Auburn Head Coach Tommy Tuberville during the 1999 season.
As a graduate assistant at Miami during the 1987-88 seasons, Werner worked with UM quarterbacks Steve Walsh, Craig Erickson and Gino Torretta during an era in which the Hurricanes went 23-1 and won the 1987 national championship. In 1989, he was a volunteer assistant coach working with the wide receivers on another Miami national championship team.
Those times in Miami weren't the cleanest in UM history. He also takes a random year to spend in Auburn to be an offensive consultant for Tubbs? He's with Freeze and O for two years in 2006 and 2007? Seems like Dan did some job jumping to avoid trouble.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

So Ole Miss is looking to replace an Offensive coordinator, a defensive coordinator, and a bag man who only recruited.
I wonder if they can do better than Brian Van Gorder and Scott Loeffler and a former wide receiver at the school. Oh, and I don't think Dan Werner is coming back as head coach in 2018--------

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

Those times in Miami weren't the cleanest in UM history. He also takes a random year to spend in Auburn to be an offensive consultant for Tubbs? He's with Freeze and O for two years in 2006 and 2007? Seems like Dan did some job jumping to avoid trouble.
We can't throw too many rocks----Werner came from the same coaching tree that gave us Pannunzio and Stoutland.

Comparison time----------news in the last two days of a NOA at Rutgers.

Note how differently these two things have been reported and handled. In Mississippi the largest newspaper in the state has consistently spouted the company line as given them by the UM athletic department. They have pushed the theory to the entire state that there is nothing to see---the school has complete control. We have heard NOTHING from the administration because the administration was placed in their positions by the people running the athletic department and were not allowed to be involved. Freeze and Bjork were placed in front of the cameras to pitch the athletic department's position and to proclaim Ole Miss's exemplary cooperation with the NCAA. Not a word from the school or the administration.

In the Rutgers case we first learn of the NOA in information provided to the media by the school immediately after receipt of the NOA. They didn't have to wait on Rutger's lawyers to respond before they could know of the allegations.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2016/12/rutgers_ncaa.html

That report was immediately followed up by a letter from the school president detailing the charges and what the school had done (past tense) to correct the issues. The administration was involved and led the cooperation and was still hit with a "failure to monitor" charge.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...rs_president_robert_barchis_letter_on_po.html

Exemplary cooperation my eye------------The way Rutgers handled their level 2 allegations will cause Ole Miss more problems than they already had. Now there is a relevant comparison of what cooperation is and what involvement by the school administration is, by a BIG10 school, no less. Ole Miss went 5-7, lost to Vandy and MS St and their problems haven't even started yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.