NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

I have not much faith in NCAA but at least it will drag into 2017, thus hurting recruiting. So at least some punishment will come even if it is around the edges.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

I have not much faith in NCAA but at least it will drag into 2017, thus hurting recruiting. So at least some punishment will come even if it is around the edges.
Grapevine word among those that seem to know in north Mississippi------
There is an offer on the table from the NCAA that makes the rest of the investigation stop. Offer loops everything into one NOA, 20 scholarships over 4 years, nothing back counting, and a 3 year bowl ban, plus other negotiated various and sundries. Otherwise, they stay and keep looking. No mention of Show Causes, but is implied.

The admissions in the response are enough to support that but Ole Miss is trying to play Auburn and threaten lawsuits unless the NCAAA accepts what they offered in their response. Do know for a fact that within the last month and a half the NCAA has visited several high schools in the state where kids in the 2012 class attended, so they are still looking.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three year bowl ban? No way, not unless they've got something much bigger on them than what was in the NOA. One year bowl ban, max, on what they have. Even with more, they wouldn't go higher than two.
Not trying to be argumentative but how do you know what they have?

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

reading the OM board, one particular mod and their fans are not worried one bit about the latest allegations from Miller whom they think has no credibility. they all believe this will blow over and the NCAA will accept what OM offered on self imposed sanctions. they think bowl ban will not enter the discussion. after reading numerous threads on this topic on their boards, the rebel/black bear/land shark fans reeked self arrogance and false bravado over in Oxford.

we shall see , won't we...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I think the NCAA levels some more punishment. They will do something to not seem entirely weak. The question is whether they give the punishment in line with what this garnered in the past.

If this was the early 2000s, Ole Miss would be set back a decade. Now? I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

"Ole Miss is trying to play Auburn and threaten lawsuits unless the NCAAA accepts what they offered in their response." This is exactly what they should do. If they do this, the NCAA will scurry away like a vampire looking at a silver crucifix. The NCAA is still as corrupt as ever, but Auburn made them toothless. The rules are really not rules any longer, but merely suggestions. OM is going to skip away unscathed.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

Looks like the Ole Miss fan base is trying to spin Pete Thamels article as it was just a rehash of old information. Since the NCAA is not a court of Law, they can take any information they want and use it against the school. We know how well it worked out for us. But if I am the Ole Miss adminstration I would not want a pro Ole Miss blogger going after a reporter from SI. Its just more gas on the fire. I wont be surprised if Ole Hugh gets to set out a few games as a suspension. Ole Miss could be 1 win and 2 losses after the first three games. You might see a good ole West Virginia matterss and sofa burning party in the Grove if that happens. When is the NCAA due to rule on its findings, does anyone have a date?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I disagree. I think if Ole Miss gets away relatively unscathed for what has been proven and what is known in some circles around the South then this will lead to an open season where many boosters go rogue and ADs start playing dumb more brazenly.

I don't think this is the way to end amateurism. A unfettered black market due to NCAA impotence is not the solution.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

"Ole Miss is trying to play Auburn and threaten lawsuits unless the NCAAA accepts what they offered in their response." This is exactly what they should do. If they do this, the NCAA will scurry away like a vampire looking at a silver crucifix. The NCAA is still as corrupt as ever, but Auburn made them toothless. The rules are really not rules any longer, but merely suggestions. OM is going to skip away unscathed.
The only problem with this thought process is that Ole Miss has already admitted to the allegations in the NOA and offered a set of sanctions that the NCAA did not agree to. Based on the NCAA's new chart, the allegations warrant much more than Ole Miss has offered.

The SI information is not news. However it does give one insight into how the NCAA came up with the allegations. The only thing at negotiation now is----the severity of the allegations (NCAA says level 1, Ole Miss says level 2). The interaction between the coaching staff and boosters is troubling for the NCAA and Ole Miss doesn't "feel" this should be a problem.

Additionally, the NCAA is in no hurry. The most egregious violations are the ones agreed to by Ole Miss involving ACT fraud. Keep in mind that ULL has a lawsuit pending against ACT that will provide more fireworks with a party accused by the NCAA in both cases (ULL and Ole Miss) who will now be under oath in a public courtroom. The question Ole Miss has to answer eventually is, do they settle or do they expect David Saunders to say anything under oath that might lead to more ACT fraud. The NCAA only hit them with three cases involving Wayne County and those from 2010 under Houston Nutt. Saunders and Ole Miss hate each other. Saunders was on the administrative staff under Cutcliffe for four years, coached under Orgeron for two and was a part of Nutt's administrative staff for a year, 2010. There is a reason those coaches wanted him around and there is absolutely nothing to lead anyone to the belief that the fraud only started in 2010. If it goes back beyond 2010 and the NCAA finds it, Ole Miss is done----------the NCAA is willing to wait.

If Ole Miss is certain they are clean, they will continue to argue and allow it to play out. If they suspect Saunders might know of other occasions when the ACT rules might have been flaunted between 1996 and 2008, all the way back to guys who played for him (but who were recruited under Tommy Tuberville while Ole Miss was on probation the last time and might be on Saunders's coaching staff now at Pearl River Community College?) Ole Miss might want to settle. The clock is ticking. There has been no indication that the Committee on Infractions is not planning on meeting with Ole Miss in August, after which they will have 90 days to announce sanctions. A refusal to settle will mean that anything new, even if it is old, will be reason to charge Ole Miss under the repeat offender clause.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

reading the OM board, one particular mod and their fans are not worried one bit about the latest allegations from Miller whom they think has no credibility. they all believe this will blow over and the NCAA will accept what OM offered on self imposed sanctions. they think bowl ban will not enter the discussion. after reading numerous threads on this topic on their boards, the rebel/black bear/land shark fans reeked self arrogance and false bravado over in Oxford.

we shall see , won't we...
I remember thinking the same thing about the Albert Means stuff. Boy was I wrong.......

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

I remember thinking the same thing about the Albert Means stuff. Boy was I wrong.......
That was the Richie Johanningmeyer era, when the NCAA enforcement department was a swaggering bully. Auburn subsequently punched the bully in the nose and the bully retreated to the corner to wipe his tears. The bully no longer swaggers. He does not even leave his corner. Richie retired in disgrace in 2013. They are toothless.

Sad to see the NCAA go from being a bullying despot to allowing anarchy without bothering to pass through a period of fairly enforcing the rules.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

Facts don't always matter to the NCAA. There has apparently been ample evidence of long time academic fraud at North Carolina....nothing has been done. I remember when several Auburn players confessed on TV to getting paid...nothing was done.
If the NCAA can't stop blatant cheating....well just do away with the bogus enforcement of all rule violations.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

If the NCAA doesn't come down on UNC and Ole Miss, the next step should be coming to the table with a plan to deemphasize amateurism and the student-athlete approach to revenue generating sports. Might as well start hiring athletes out of high school as staff employees of the university.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

If the NCAA doesn't come down on UNC and Ole Miss, the next step should be coming to the table with a plan to deemphasize amateurism and the student-athlete approach to revenue generating sports. Might as well start hiring athletes out of high school as staff employees of the university.
Personally, I think that you may have a valid point with the above. The NCAA is on the cusp of being relegated to an entity with little or no enforcement ability. I think it`s really at a critical juncture.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Tony Barnhart was on the OD this morning and Tony Kurre asked him about a rumor of a big story that was about to break regarding Ole Miss. He indicated that he had heard the same thing. I think this is far from over.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

Tony Barnhart was on the OD this morning and Tony Kurre asked him about a rumor of a big story that was about to break regarding Ole Miss. He indicated that he had heard the same thing. I think this is far from over.
Perhaps the NFL players union is now demanding to represent Ole Miss players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.