Yahoo! Sports: NCAA formally charges Mississippi with rules violations

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Uhhhh duh! You know the Ole Miss coaches are telling recruits that the ncaa investigation was expected and that they are anticipating a good resolution that will have very little impact on the program. This will possibly effect next year's recruiting class more than this one.
I agree with your possibility. The type of athlete who chooses Freeze and Old Miss are not, what I would call, the cream of the character crop. They will want to believe nothing will happen and I don't see anyone backing out. Now those who haven't committed yet may take a second look.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Re: Any of our targets canelling their visits to Ole Miss?

Saban has enough assistants and others that he can take the high road. You know the recruits are all over the internet and calling UM and asking what is really going on. If I got a we cant talk about it. I would rethink is ole miss a good fit.

Some of them may be asking if they have to give the money back...:cool2:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm not going to speculate but will say this because it's true.
The day after Ole Miss signed Tunsil a very prominent Ole Miss alum, and former player said to me at the gym,
"That's going to get us on probation".

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
I thought it had to do with the boogs...:cool2:
My only surprise is that Ole Miss wasn't charged earlier than now. I'd heard that Ohio State and Michigan had both been aware of Ole Miss's "tactics" and were pretty ticked and had turned them in. No telling how many SEC coaches also turned them in.

I'm not naive enough to think that many schools don't bend the rules a bit. I realize CNS pushes the envelope but doesn't quite break the rules. However, while I don't have any proof myself, I'm pretty sure Ole Miss has been FLAGRANTLY cheating their gonads off for several years now since Hugh Freeze showed up.

I think what it all hinges upon is just how bad the NCAA wants to hammer them. Remember, the NCAA doesn't have to have any proof and they CAN go on hearsay. If the NCAA wants to, they could potentially come down on them very hard. Or, just ignore things and it just fades away.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I think Bo received money to visit Ole Miss and was turned in when he didn't flip his commitment. They try to bribe kids into going there and then blackmail them if they don't. I have no sympathy for Ole Miss, its coaches, or fans. As others have said, the issue is whether the NCAA actually wants to do something or not.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Have said it before- if the truth about everything going on in Oxford ever comes to light nobody would ever talk about SMU again. Would make the Ponies look like choir boys. These networks involved in the "Rebel Rising" group are really making it virtually impossible for any in-state kid to leave the state to play their college football- even if they want to. These people are not concerned with potential consequences- they actually seem to think nothing will happen and the rewards are worth the risk. I know one lower level Rebel booster- and that is their attitude.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Have said it before- if the truth about everything going on in Oxford ever comes to light nobody would ever talk about SMU again. Would make the Ponies look like choir boys. These networks involved in the "Rebel Rising" group are really making it virtually impossible for any in-state kid to leave the state to play their college football- even if they want to. These people are not concerned with potential consequences- they actually seem to think nothing will happen and the rewards are worth the risk. I know one lower level Rebel booster- and that is their attitude.
There is probably seriously shady stuff going on, but do we really think it approaches SMU levels? That would be saying a mouthful. Or is it pocket full? :)

Is the governor of the state involved?

Last edited:

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
No Governor involvement that I know of-LOL. I do think the dollar transactions would truly shock some people if they are ever truly exposed. But these things are hard to prove these days. Again- really just basing my comments on what my Rebel booster acquaintance has indicated. Has even made the "bama is being out-bid " comment.
There is probably seriously shady stuff going on, but do we really think it approaches SMU levels? That would be saying a mouthful. Or is it pocket full? :)

Is the governor of the state involved?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I think Bo received money to visit Ole Miss and was turned in when he didn't flip his commitment. They try to bribe kids into going there and then blackmail them if they don't. I have no sympathy for Ole Miss, its coaches, or fans. As others have said, the issue is whether the NCAA actually wants to do something or not.

Pretty much the same tactics that the boogs used with Cyrus K...:cool2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.