Could the NFL succeed in Alabama?

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If we were not so entrenched in College football, yes. We really don't have an City big enough to sustain on its own. I think Birmingham is slow death and Mobile will be the place, if we ever get one. But we have the Falcons or Titans and our college team. Just no need.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Why not? Los Angeles is the second largest city in the USA and has lost three teams - they'll never have anyone want to go there again much less all three teams they ran off.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
If I had the money to buy a NFL team, I wouldn't put it in Birmingham.
In fact if I had the Raiders I would head to St Louis.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
If I had the money to buy a NFL team, I wouldn't put it in Birmingham.
In fact if I had the Raiders I would head to St Louis.
Yeah...no.

St. Louis is not a good spot for a team anymore imo. If I were buying an NFL franchise, I would have a small list of cities.

1. San Antonio
2. Las Vegas
3. Toronto

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If St Louis, LA and the other larger cities can't keep a team then why should we expect Birmingham to keep one. Heck, they couldn't even keep Birmingham the Football Capitol of the South.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Why not? Los Angeles is the second largest city in the USA and has lost three teams - they'll never have anyone want to go there again much less all three teams they ran off.
Yeah, that is strange. As much as the NFL wants to hold onto that TV market, fans just don't care unless the team is winning. Same can be said for the Dodgers. I have spent some time in LA, but not nearly enough to understand this aspect of their lives. LA just isn't a sports town.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Yeah, that is strange. As much as the NFL wants to hold onto that TV market, fans just don't care unless the team is winning. Same can be said for the Dodgers. I have spent some time in LA, but not nearly enough to understand this aspect of their lives. LA just isn't a sports town.
Maybe they are overloaded with sports. I am assuming they have every pro sport known to man, plus colleges there. If I have thirty different teams to watch I guess I would spend my money on the one who was winning instead of going a watch a team lose.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Maybe they are overloaded with sports. I am assuming they have every pro sport known to man, plus colleges there. If I have thirty different teams to watch I guess I would spend my money on the one who was winning instead of going a watch a team lose.
Maybe that is it, but their fans are known for leaving in the middle of sporting events even when the game is in doubt. They have already paid for their tickets and shown up, but they don't care enough to stay until the end. It is like they are showing up for some other reason than to watch the game.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Maybe that is it, but their fans are known for leaving in the middle of sporting events even when the game is in doubt. They have already paid for their tickets and shown up, but they don't care enough to stay until the end. It is like they are showing up for some other reason than to watch the game.
OMG, you just reminded me of the fans who get there early and are drunk by game time and sleep through. I have seen that a couple of times. Personally I would get drunk at home and save my money, but that just my good sense.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
Maybe it's the warm weather or the close proximity to the beach, because you just described Miami as a sports town to tee, as well. If their teams are winning, they will somewhat support them (The Dolphins and The U), but even winning doesn't guarantee they will care (See 1997 and 2003 Marlins). A friend of mine worked for a former Miami Heat player and told me the fans either didn't show up until after halftime or they would all leave at halftime, and this was when Lebron was there. They made all the seats in the arena white during the playoffs and asked all their fans to wear white so the stands didn't look so empty on TV. During the playoffs?!

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I lived in LA for 10 years in the 80's and 90's. You could go to AAA on Fridays and buy tickets to the UCLA game in the Rose Bowl for $5 or $10 bucks. It was just something else going on in LA. Who knows they just dont take their football as serious as we do.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I lived in LA for 10 years in the 80's and 90's. You could go to AAA on Fridays and buy tickets to the UCLA game in the Rose Bowl for $5 or $10 bucks. It was just something else going on in LA. Who knows they just dont take their football as serious as we do.
If it's just about liking football, where else would an NFL team want to be than Alabama???

In all seriousness, I know the NFL is a business and there are multiple issues regarding a viable stadium, owner, willingness to move to Alabama, etc.

But if a team ever came, I think the state of Alabama would faithfully support it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.