Could the NFL succeed in Alabama?

mark4tide

1st Team
Mar 7, 2005
Hoover, AL
It would never work in Alabama. The cost would be just too much. When you factor in ticket prices, parking, and concessions a family of 4 would spend $400-$500 for one game. There is just not that kind of money floating around Birmingham. This cost would factor in after they bought their season tickets to Alabama and Auburn.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
I think that the window of opportunity for a NFL franchise passed way long ago. We could have secured one in the 1960's or 1970's, but there was never a truly serious effort to do so. When the Birmingham Vulcans folded in 1975 (along with the WFL), there was a push for an expansion team, but the NFL would not take any petition seriously from a city that had just lost a WFL franchise (Birmingham & Memphis both made their case to the NFL and both were basically ignored). If a NFL team wants to move to Birmingham, it would still be a hard sell, since the NFL today is all about TV revenue...its all about the number of eyeballs on the screen, and how much money that particular market can generate. Sad, but that's the reality of it. I think that Birmingham could have potentially supported a team, back in the day...if a new team came today, I think it would be tough sledding. The costs associated with going to 8 home games would be really high for the average fan...I know I wouldn't want to pay it.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Maybe it's the warm weather or the close proximity to the beach, because you just described Miami as a sports town to tee, as well. If their teams are winning, they will somewhat support them (The Dolphins and The U), but even winning doesn't guarantee they will care (See 1997 and 2003 Marlins). A friend of mine worked for a former Miami Heat player and told me the fans either didn't show up until after halftime or they would all leave at halftime, and this was when Lebron was there. They made all the seats in the arena white during the playoffs and asked all their fans to wear white so the stands didn't look so empty on TV. During the playoffs?!
There were a couple of times when LeBron was there that they were losing playoff games and the crowd starting pouring out of the arena. Miami made furious come backs and the people were hearing this or seeing this on their phones as they were walking to their cars and then frantically trying to get back in the arena to see it.

Miami and LA are just not serious sports towns.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Huntsville is too nerdy and transient to get that kind of PSL support.
Agree having lived there.

If, stressing if, the NFL ever considered Alabama it would have to be in the B'ham metro area. Over 1.5 of the almost 5 million who live in the state live within an hour of B'ham.

Also, I think there's a lot more money in B'ham than some want to give credit.

I agree that I think the time is passed for the NFL to come to B'ham, but it is always predictably amusing how people take any opportunity to bash Birmingham.

HSV256

1st Team
Sep 7, 2006
Huntsville, AlaBAMA
Agree having lived there.

If, stressing if, the NFL ever considered Alabama it would have to be in the B'ham metro area. Over 1.5 of the almost 5 million who live in the state live within an hour of B'ham.

Also, I think there's a lot more money in B'ham than some want to give credit.

I agree that I think the time is passed for the NFL to come to B'ham, but it is always predictably amusing how people take any opportunity to bash Birmingham.
Bham is the only logical spot, money wise. But it would be decades away and would need the perfect storm, starting with a complete turnover in leadership.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
I see all the complaints about how folks don't have enough jack to go to Alabama games. Let me tell you, pro venues cost a lot. So folks would elect to spend their money on going to Alabama games or Auburn long before they would support a pro team. Maybe you'd get some UAB fans to the game and we know how strong that attendance would be. It just isn't in the cards for Birmingham to have a team. About the only way it would go over is if you have the team composition be all Alabama players. Maybe then folks would support it but I doubt it even then.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
The last thing Alabama needs is to put a billion plus dollars into a stadium to watch that team walk away as soon as someone else builds a better stadium. You'd be played for fools as fast as the NFL would allow, unless the team was setup like Green Bay, where the people own the franchise.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
A winning NFL franchise will succeed anywhere - the question becomes how successful would it be if they sucked for a while - or a long time?

You have to have the population density and income to support the team when they stink as well as when they're winning. I don't see a franchise being viable in Alabama.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
A winning NFL franchise will succeed anywhere - the question becomes how successful would it be if they sucked for a while - or a long time?

You have to have the population density and income to support the team when they stink as well as when they're winning. I don't see a franchise being viable in Alabama.
I have a feeling the Tennessee Titans may be able to answer your question here before long, if not now.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It might possibly succeed in Mobile. It has a thriving market and is close to both sea ports and interstate highways. I believe the city's leadership would also be favorable towards promoting a pro team.
NOLA is the NFL's smallest market and is still twice the population of Mobile.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I agree, but IF it were to happen, the team name should have Alabama in the team name. That would mean that it is a state of Alabama team. Like Carolina in the Carolina Panthers. Yes, I know it's not the North Carolina Panthers. Does South Carolina feel ownership also in this team name? It's good they did NOT name it the Charlotte Panthers.

You would need some filthy RICH owners, "mega $Billionaires" who are willing to lose some $$$$$$$$$$. If the team didn't win, would the fans show up?

How about the Alabama Copperheads or the Alabama Water Moccasins or the Alabama Rednecks (would that offend anyone) or the Alabama (fill in the blank). Alabama in the name would show ALL-State Ownership by fans in Alabama. No Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, etc. in the name!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I agree, but only as long as they keep winning. Look at Jacksonville. Can't give away tickets in that town.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I have heard stories that Bryant quashed a possible expansion team here years ago, no idea if that is true.

With 200,000 buying tickets to the two big boys in the state every week and probably close to another 100,000 going to games of the other schools, where is the NFL fan base going to come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.