Could the NFL succeed in Alabama?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I've always wondered how an NFL team would do in Alabama. Tide and Tiger Football is life in the state. How well would an NFL team do? Would the NFL play second fiddle to the Crimson Tide and Tigers? Or would the NFL do extremely well? Extremely bad?

Where would the NFL team be located at? Birmingham?

Any thoughts?

With all this talk of the Raiders possibly leaving Oakland, it just has me thinking.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I've always wondered how an NFL team would do in Alabama. Tide and Tiger Football is life in the state. How well would an NFL team do? Would the NFL play second fiddle to the Crimson Tide and Tigers? Or would the NFL do extremely well? Extremely bad?

Where would the NFL team be located at? Birmingham?

Any thoughts?

With all this talk of the Raiders possibly leaving Oakland, it just has me thinking.
Assuming the team was willing to build its own stadium, an NFL team could thrive if they were a winner. If built near the I65 and 459 interchange it could attract fans from more affluent areas and as far away as Montgomery and Tuscaloosa. I'd keep the city of Birmingham out of it.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
no Alabama doesn't have the population or TV market to support a team financially and with New Orleans, TN and The Flacons in the border/regional states they wouldn't draw enough away from those other states to make up the numbers

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
The teams B'ham had many years ago always did well. It was the leagues that couldn't cut it. But I think the time has passed where a team here could make it here.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I honestly think the State would support a NFL team if B'Ham ever gets their heads out of their backside & actually build a Dome Stadium to land a NFL franchise..

Bama & Auburn Fans will always be hated rivals, I do think we would put those differences aside during the NFL season, and would support our NFL team in a common love of the game of football..

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Perhaps they can deliver the GA Dome in pieces to BHM [emoji104][emoji104][emoji104][emoji104][emoji104]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Well, I moved the Steelers down to Birmingham in Madden 07 and named them the Crush. They won lots of Super Bowls.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Which markets would that be?
I now realize Green Bay is obviously smaller than Bham but I believe this is the only one. Based on Bham's past we would not support an NFL team but if we got a quick winner the city and surrounding areas would support the team.

BammaNFla

1st Team
Aug 7, 2003
Tallahassee, FL,, US of A
Buffalo is slightly smaller than Birmingham (and shrinking), Jacksonville is slightly larger (and growing slightly quicker). Green Bay is an odd market since Milwaukee is over 100 miles away but certainly supports the team--GB played some home games there as late as the '90s.

B'ham has the 40th largest tv market. Jax is 47th, Buffalo 51st, NOLA 53rd. TV market may not be that much of a stretch.

Unmentioned so far in this thead is potential ownership. Where's the money come from? Last I saw, there is no longer even one billionaire in Alabama. The only past or present NFL owner I know of with Alabama ties was Hugh Culverhouse, but he put his money in Tampa when he started the Bucs. My guess is the owner group has to be in place before any stadium talk is worth having. The teams with the smallest value (Oakland, Buffalo, and Jax) are all valued above $800,000,000.

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Short term a team would do well if they were very good.
Long term....no chance unless they were very good consistently.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I loved going to the Stallions' games in the 80's but I don't think the state could support an nfl franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.