Could the NFL succeed in Alabama?

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
Why would an NFL team want to come to the state to play second fiddle to the Tide?
I agree and go a step further to include the Barn, although they don't sell out all their games the money for ticket sales only goes so far and I think folks round here would rather spend that money on a Saturday rather than Sundays.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Look at Green Bay. They had some awful years in the 70s and 80s. Yet they always sold out. Packers could be 0-15 and that final game of the year would still be sold out.

In the end, its all about the fans. Some fan bases are just better than others.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Look at Green Bay. They had some awful years in the 70s and 80s. Yet they always sold out. Packers could be 0-15 and that final game of the year would still be sold out.

In the end, its all about the fans. Some fan bases are just better than others.
It was mentioned up thread but I don't see 60 to 70 thousand fans being able to afford going to an NFL game on Sunday after forking out however many hundreds to attend the Alabama/Auburn games the prior day. And rest assured, they are going to choose Alabama and Auburn over the NFL 99% of the time.

Green Bay's franchise started almost a hundred years ago and is still run by private shareholders. It is a unique situation, and doesn't really compare to any new franchise starting up today.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
It might possibly succeed in Mobile. It has a thriving market and is close to both sea ports and interstate highways. I believe the city's leadership would also be favorable towards promoting a pro team.
I lived in Mobile for 8 years, and it is many things, but a thriving market is not one of them. An NFL team could never succeed in Mobile. Businesses that are successful anywhere else in the country are not successful in Mobile. Plus, it's too close to New Orleans.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Again, I'll say I don't expect a franchise to decide to move to B'ham. But one honest question. NOLA is comparable to B'ham with it's metro population. It's also about 80 miles from Baton Rouge, close to the distance of both Auburn and Bama's campuses.
When the Saints play are we saying those that fill up the Super Dome didn't spend money the day before on LSU?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Again, I'll say I don't expect a franchise to decide to move to B'ham. But one honest question. NOLA is comparable to B'ham with it's metro population. It's also about 80 miles from Baton Rouge, close to the distance of both Auburn and Bama's campuses.
When the Saints play are we saying those that fill up the Super Dome didn't spend money the day before on LSU?
Saints fans are drawing from East Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, as well as Louisiana. They have been for 50 years. If a franchise popped up in Alabama, you're fighting Titans, Falcons, Saints, Panthers, Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, Vikings (okay...I'm the only Vikings fan, but still), and others for support. Not only the three teams in close proximity, but teams that have established fan bases here thanks to either never having a team closer or having former players from the major colleges.

I wouldn't just drop my allegiances for a team coming here, and I don't think a lot of others would either.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
Saints fans are drawing from East Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, as well as Louisiana. They have been for 50 years. If a franchise popped up in Alabama, you're fighting Titans, Falcons, Saints, Panthers, Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, Vikings (okay...I'm the only Vikings fan, but still), and others for support. Not only the three teams in close proximity, but teams that have established fan bases here thanks to either never having a team closer or having former players from the major colleges.

I wouldn't just drop my allegiances for a team coming here, and I don't think a lot of others would either.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No, there is another.....;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.