ACC has new replay coordinator offical.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Swofford says creating the new job and hiring Jackson for it "should help us continue to enhance the quality" of replay operations.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/acc-adds-assistant-coordinator-football-replay

I can't help but laugh when I read "the company line" and "the company propaganda." Continue to enhance the quality of the Duke-Miami affair :biggrin2:

I have this saying I remember from my Mom. "What is wrong with telling the truth?" We all know the truth is they are hiring another ref because they are under pressure for screwing up so bad, and Duke-Miami was not the only one they missed this year. I guess it makes them feel better to say it like that.

I don't understand how the Duke-Miami game could not be grounds for firing someone. Anyone remember the Oklahoma-Oregon game from a few years ago? The Syracuse vs MAC from a few years ago? In the Syracuse game a FG was called missed even though the replay showed it clearly was between the uprights and over the crossbar. No one was fired for that fiasco either, even when replay booth agreed with the call on the field. Mind boggling that the institutions of higher learning can't do better than first grade.

Is it mandatory for officials to take eye exams? I.Q. tests? Call me hard to please but I don't see this addition helping people who can't read an eye chart.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I read an ESPN article about this a few days ago. They are not centralizing their reviews, nor is this new person overseeing the reviews in real time. That might actually help. All they are doing is providing more training. Not that more training is a bad thing, but a high school student who follows football would have caught the mistakes made in this game. With those individuals, I am not sure that training is the answer.

But at least the ACC is doing something. The B1G is busy pretending that the mistakes made last season didn't happen.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I read an ESPN article about this a few days ago. They are not centralizing their reviews, nor is this new person overseeing the reviews in real time. That might actually help. All they are doing is providing more training. Not that more training is a bad thing, but a high school student who follows football would have caught the mistakes made in this game. With those individuals, I am not sure that training is the answer.

But at least the ACC is doing something. The B1G is busy pretending that the mistakes made last season didn't happen.
I agree that training can't help cheating. How can the replay booth miss what the entire stadium and all announcers can see clearly is good? Someone has to be "on the take." The Duke/Miami game. How many officials were on the field? How many could see nothing amiss on the Miami runback? This is not a training issue.

I have noticed there is never an explanation given. Why is that? Could it be because there is no explanation? That FG at Syracuse was never explained. Just, "we are sitting out the replay official for three games." Come on, please tell us how he could not see the replay showing the ball between the posts and over the bar. Come on, tell us how every ref missed the blocks in the back? Please explain.

Two refs at the goalposts and one of them called it wide? Come on, please explain these things.

I hate CHEATING and especially organized CHEATING. This makes me fighting mad. I don't know why Duke fans didn't surround the ACC office an demand some answers. Ditto Syracuse.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Or nc vs. Clemson. Centralized review, like the nhl does, might help.
Offside on the onside kick wasn't a reviewable play. Should be, but isn't. You can review to see if the kicker is offside when he kicks it, but not if a player is in the neutral zone.

Just like lineman downfield on a pass play that is marginal should be reviewable. You can review to see if the one throwing the ball is past the LOS, but not whether ineligible receivers are passed the 3 yard zone.

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
Offside on the onside kick wasn't a reviewable play. Should be, but isn't. You can review to see if the kicker is offside when he kicks it, but not if a player is in the neutral zone. ...
Maybe I'm missing something here, but the kicker is always 'offsides' some when kicking. The plant foot has to be in front of the ball to properly kick it.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Maybe I'm missing something here, but the kicker is always 'offsides' some when kicking. The plant foot has to be in front of the ball to properly kick it.
Kind of like spiking the ball is not intentional grounding?

The ball crossed the plane at goal and it is in the end zone. The ball, however, caught out of bounds with a foot dragging did not cross the plane of the side line?"

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I would guess there is an exception to the rules for that. Kind of like the holder on a place kick isn't downing the ball with his knee on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The reference to the "kicker" offsides is on punts, as in a punter advancing the ball up to the line of scrimmage before punting. (as in a rugby style punt). The kicker by rule cannot be offside on a kickoff. That is the only time a kick can be review to determine whether a player is offside.

Sorry. Should been clearer.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.