Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers (Update: Briles Fired, AD and Starr Resigns)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Do you have any understanding of the funding mechanisms at work between the SBC and Baylor? Or between Baylor and the Baptist General Convention of Texas? If not, best to let it go, but I'm probably asking too much of you.
Seriously? You want me to drop it but you want to keep talking about it. I'm not sure how to interpret your last comment as anything other than snide. In terms of funding, Baylor doesn't seem reliant on it, so once again if they're just dragging the Baptist name through the mud, why not drop it? Seriously, why further impugn it? I'm not bashing religion, I'm not bashing Baptists, I'm bashing Baylor and that is "germane to the discussion".

But just in case you're confused, I'm not talking about funding! I'm talking about expecting humans beings to act like decent people, and if they refuse to act like decent people, then you'd think they would at least have the decency to distance themselves from people who should care very much about such appearances.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Shutting down a major university is not the same as shutting down a small or even medium sized business. It wouldn't affect just a few dozen people - it would affect thousands. It's too much to even suggest, no matter how serious the allegations are.
Seriously? What if there were 500 rapes? 1,000? 10,000? So, if these were murders covered up on campus, we should still let it go? How bad do things have to get in America before we abandon the "too big to fail" mentality? It is disgusting.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
First, let's cut the religion talk if you want this thread to stay here. If you want it on NS, have at it.

Seriously? What if there were 500 rapes? 1,000? 10,000? So, if these were murders covered up on campus, we should still let it go? How bad do things have to get in America before we abandon the "too big to fail" mentality? It is disgusting.
With this mindset, should we have shut down the entire Catholic church? Or Boy Scouts?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With this mindset, should we have shut down the entire Catholic church? Or Boy Scouts?
Well, I am happy to try just shutting down a football program to see if it works. But we need to be willing to shut down entire programs where necessary. We can't just say that we are unwilling to take that step. That is what leads to this type of corruption - the "too big to fail" mentality. Knowing that they will just be left alone.

You can't shut down a church, but I would have threatened their tax free status if it were in my power. Think they would still cover this up if it threatened with the financial ruin of their church?

As for the Boy Scouts thing - I didn't really follow it closely. I just don't have enough information to form an opinion about appropriate punishment. But the organization is a shadow of its former self now, and I wonder if that is a result of parents simply not wanting to risk their boys.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, I am happy to try just shutting down a football program to see if it works. But we need to be willing to shut down entire programs where necessary.

You can't shut down a church, but I would have threatened their tax free status if it were in my power. Think they would still cover this up if it threatened with the financial ruin of their church?

As for the Boy Scouts thing - I didn't really follow it closely. I just don't have enough information to form an opinion about appropriate punishment. But the organization is a shadow of its former self now, and I wonder if that is a result of parents simply not wanting to risk their boys.
IOW, a the public perception was bad enough that the organization took a hit. Baylor is going to take a hit just on perception alone.

Shut the football program down if you want, but you can't shut down the entire school.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Do we have evidence the school has done anything? It's all been football-related, no?
The cover-up involved the entire administration, so much so that the people responsible for Title IX protections at the school quit in frustration. We know of 52 incidents. How many were there really if we know of 52? Statistics say that there are hundreds if we know of 52 - hundreds of women who have had their lives ruined.

You can't call this a football problem. It is a Baylor problem.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I apologize if I seem to harsh here. I believe that most of you would feel the same if you had seen the things that I have seen - the lives ruined by rape, and the people who cover for family and friends who commit rape. Our society still has a long way to go here.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think the appropriate thing to do is punish the division/department in which the violations occurred. I think it's a bit overboard to shut down or punish an entire college because of improprieties of a specific division/department. Granted, if evidence leads to more divisions and departments then yes, expand the punishment. But you've got people there (probably thousands of them) who are in pursuit of their degrees, who have nothing to do with the football program. Pushing the "red button" and blowing the entire thing up is really screwing a lot of innocent parties over and putting them at a major, major inconvenience. Think about what they would have to do if this happened. It would be a logistic nightmare for a lot of people.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The cover-up involved the entire administration, so much so that the people responsible for Title IX protections at the school quit in frustration. We know of 52 incidents. How many were there really if we know of 52? Statistics say that there are hundreds if we know of 52 - hundreds of women who have had their lives ruined.

You can't call this a football problem. It is a Baylor problem.
And how many of those people involved have already been fired once the investigation was given to the BOR?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And how many of those people involved have already been fired once the investigation was given to the BOR?
Sorry, how many of those people would have been fired had this not become a Title IX issue and threatened them in such a huge way? Baylor doesn't get credit for firing the corrupt because they didn't do it when it mattered. They only took action when they were forced to take action. At no point has Baylor "done the right thing" here.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sorry, how many of those people would have been fired had this not become a Title IX issue and threatened them in such a huge way? Baylor doesn't get credit for firing the corrupt because they didn't do it when it mattered. They only took action when they were forced to take action. At no point has Baylor "done the right thing" here.
They didn't fire them because the people that could fire them didn't know it was happening! When they learned of it, the BOR took action.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They didn't fire them because the people that could fire them didn't know it was happening! When they learned of it, the BOR took action.
Believe that if you wish.

ETA - consider this, the guys fired will all have new jobs - some already do.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well I guess that means we need to shut down the doors of the places that hired those guys, too.
Maybe you will actually answer my question this time - is there anything severe enough that you would support the closing of a school for illegal activity? What if these were 52 murders covered up instead of 52 rapes?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe you will actually answer my question this time - is there anything severe enough that you would support the closing of a school for illegal activity? What if these were 52 murders covered up instead of 52 rapes?
The world isn't as black and white as you think this is. Each case is different, so I have no clue if there's something that would cause me to be in favor of shutting down a school.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
You make it seem as though there were 52 separate incidents, which is clearly not true. That is not to minimize what did happen, but still getting facts right is not irrelevant. if 10 people murder one person we do not count ten murders, though we do count ten "acts of murder". Same here. There are allegedly 52 acts if rape, but not 52 rape victims. It matters because you are trying to establish a pattern that reaches farther than the facts support.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You make it seem as though there were 52 separate incidents, which is clearly not true. That is not to minimize what did happen, but still getting facts right is not irrelevant. if 10 people murder one person we do not count ten murders, though we do count ten "acts of murder". Same here. There are allegedly 52 acts if rape, but not 52 rape victims. It matters because you are trying to establish a pattern that reaches farther than the facts support.
You didn't answer my question.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The world isn't as black and white as you think this is. Each case is different, so I have no clue if there's something that would cause me to be in favor of shutting down a school.
Clearly rape doesn't meet that criteria for you, or for just about anyone else here. I was just wondering if murder would. You make it sound like you might be willing to give them a pass for murder under certain scenarios.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.