Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers (Update: Briles Fired, AD and Starr Resigns)

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Re: Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers

Certainly a bad situation for the victims, but I'm not going to jump on the "bash the university" bandwagon. For example, the following from the article doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me, especially with respect to healthcare.

[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
I disagree. You go to the ER with a severe migraine and you may wait in line for hours, if you go to the ER with your arm cut off you would expect immediate attention. I would rank having a limb cut off right up there with rape.

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL

I hope Baylor gets buried for this, there is no excuse for not investigating. At some point winning football games has to stop trumping the law.
Forget the law... it's a matter of common decency toward our fellow human beings. When sports becomes more important than that, it is troubling.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

This quote comes right out of Watergate - for those of you who are old enough to remember it... I think the same basic question was asked Richard Nixon - What do you know & when did you know it?

There are three big questions here: Who knew what happened? When did they know about it? And, what action was taken?
One current college football coach

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

I agree - remember that Penn State leadership also broke the law when they failed to report the potential child abuse that occurred in the showers. They got slammed, but the NCAA later pulled back most of their sanctions. I don't see them going even further here than they did there.
Like both Penn State and FSU, Baylor is looking at some major Title IX problems.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

As a professor at a large research university receiving federal funds, I was recently required to attend a training session on Title IX. I can tell you that no matter what the underlying facts of the matter are, Baylor is currently in deep trouble. If found guilty of a Title IX violation, and they will be, it can result in withdrawal of all federal funds from the institution. This means all federal research grants, educational grants in aid and guaranteed student loans. How many of their students will continue to attend Baylor, a private university, if they can no longer get grants or loans to pay their bills? Football is small potatoes here. Baylor itself is facing the gallows.

Maudiemae

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2003
West Palm Beach, Florida

A while back, when info on FSU's cover ups was revealing how MUCH covering has been done there because it went way farther than Winston, I made some statements on the thread about it. I gather I said it all wrong because everybody thought I was defending FSU when I was actually doing the opposite. My kids (one is a daughter!) went there! I have friends whose kids go there now! I was horrified to learn about the University's actions. My point was, at that time, and still is that I'm afraid this kind of thing is happening at colleges all over the place. I fear that, in order to protect sports teams as well as schools, they are covering this up. That's a nightmare! It looks to me as if many of you agree and I am so relieved. Maybe Redwood Forrest is right: Mothers may need to band together on this one.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

But isn't winning college football games more important than being ethical, professional, honest, having any semblance of integrity, etc.? I used to think highly of THAT coach. No longer! Maybe Baylor needs the SMU punishment!

I love the Crimson Tide, but I want to win the RIGHT way! If that can't happen, I'd rather be 0 - 12 and go to a bowl game and lose it toooo!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

I was wondering how long it would take someone (probably in Texas) to make the Snow Monkey U comparison. (That is how they were referred to, at the place I worked at back in the day. No idea who came up with it, or why, but it sounded funny, so it stuck.)

The difference being one had a former gubner saying "we had to honor a contract" and the other has a coach that I never had respect for.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I was wondering how long it would take someone (probably in Texas) to make the Snow Monkey U comparison. (That is how they were referred to, at the place I worked at back in the day. No idea who came up with it, or why, but it sounded funny, so it stuck.)

The difference being one had a former gubner saying "we had to honor a contract" and the other has a coach that I never had respect for.
I lived in Texas back in those days. The whole Mustang Mania thing was crazy

Soon after the probation hit - some clever fans of other SWC schools produced a "Probation Mania" bumper sticker. I couldn't find one but it looked something like this

EDIT: No horses were injured in the creation of this post!

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I've said this before, but it's worth repeating. No football program, Alabama included, is more important than protecting innocent people from predators. I don't understand this, we've seen various versions of this at Tennessee, Baylor, FSU, and Penn State, and they all seem to put the football program ahead of the victims. I don't hold a program accountable when someone involved with the program sexual assaults someone, that can be an isolated incident. I do however, hold the entire program responsible when that turns into a cover-up or helping the rapist instead of the victim.

There clearly are a few football programs that turned into havens for rapists. I wish people would hold them more accountable, how can someone go cheer for rapists? What kind of warped crap is going on in their head that they can do that?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I've said this before, but it's worth repeating. No football program, Alabama included, is more important than protecting innocent people from predators. I don't understand this, we've seen various versions of this at Tennessee, Baylor, FSU, and Penn State, and they all seem to put the football program ahead of the victims. I don't hold a program accountable when someone involved with the program sexual assaults someone, that can be an isolated incident. I do however, hold the entire program responsible when that turns into a cover-up or helping the rapist instead of the victim.

There clearly are a few football programs that turned into havens for rapists. I wish people would hold them more accountable, how can someone go cheer for rapists? What kind of warped crap is going on in their head that they can do that?
I agree 100% about cheering for those players (see Florida St) but when the coaches and admin are involved (see Penn St) it is not the players. This is a quandary for me. There is no win/win here for me. But it is sad that hoodlums rule the roost. Think about that. Hoodlums did not have to "take over" Florida State. They "gave" it to them. It appears to be the same at Baylor.

How long would a mayor of a city last if he opened the doors of the jail and gave each hoodlum keys to the city?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

It has been reported that Baylor has fired President Ken Starr.

(Think about that for a minute......)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.