Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers (Update: Briles Fired, AD and Starr Resigns)

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Re: Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers

I hate to say this but I am not surprised. After Florida State I am not surprised that (really good) football and basketball players get away with just about anything.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

In light of the fact Baylor is the same school that had a basketball coach try to cover up the murder of one of his players by the other - why is anyone even remotely surprised at anything bad they hear about Baylor's athletic department?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Sad to say, but they really don't care. If what happened at FSU and PSU has shown us nothing else, it has shown us that parents will still send their kids to these schools - so would Baylor change? Insurance and/or boosters will pay any settlements and Baylor will hire a few people to "educate" staff about Title IX, but nothing will change. Our society accepts this stuff and the government, which put Title IX into place, will not even threaten to pull their accreditation.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Sad to say, but they really don't care. If what happened at FSU and PSU has shown us nothing else, it has shown us that parents will still send their kids to these schools - so would Baylor change? Insurance and/or boosters will pay any settlements and Baylor will hire a few people to "educate" staff about Title IX, but nothing will change. Our society accepts this stuff and the government, which put Title IX into place, will not even threaten to pull their accreditation.
My dream of utopia is a land where ALL RULES ARE ENFORCED and someone makes signs with the correct meaning. There will be no sign on a Burger King walk in cooler saying "this door must be kept closed at all times." You know at all times means it can never be opened. I know, this is being silly. But not really. Why does it not say what it surely means? "This door must be closed when not in use." We ran big machines at work and everyone had sticker waning that the operator manual must be read before running the machine. Ha. Like that ever happened. But guess what? Our company prided itself on following instructions. Yes, it was a big deal.

Anyway, the NCAA (like everything else) only enforced what it wants to and the rest if out there to get us fired if we don't go by the rules which don't mean what they say anyway.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I'm shocked that such a fine University as Baylor, and such a thorough institution as the NCAA have ignored / covered up / broken open records laws on this.

Seriously, my only surprise is that anyone would be surprised. Unlike FSU, where they've had the requisite number of instances and time to perfect their stonewalling, I guess Baylor just hasn't had the experience necessary to fully climb the learning curve.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Certainly a bad situation for the victims, but I'm not going to jump on the "bash the university" bandwagon. For example, the following from the article doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me, especially with respect to healthcare.

A few days later, she said she contacted Baylor's student health center, seeking counseling.
There is no one who can see you now. You could, though, put your name on a waiting list. Maybe you should see someone off campus.

mikelove

Scout Team
Oct 4, 2014

I don't blame this on the university. I blame this on the government and the parents. If the government would allow you to tear these kids tail up like it was when I was a kid there would be none of this. The parents also have to teach their kids right from wrong. Dads leaving at young ages and never having anything to do with their kids. It's just wrong.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

When these stories come up I always wonder why athletes at major universities have to result to force in order to achieve intercourse. You would think that most athletes could be with somebody without the use of force. I get that sometimes it's about power and not the act. Just a sad situation..

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004

If any of those were my daughter, Baylor would be regretting their lack of concern big time.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

And they let this happen on a campus supposedly Baptist!?!

I hope those young women sue them for mega millions! Does their President or Head Coach have daughters? If I had a daughter or granddaughter going there I'd be VERY concerned! They can't depend on Mr. McLane to fund their follies!

smilinc

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 9, 2006

A careful reading of this shows that it is a hit piece..... This is a '60 Minutes Article'... even going to the extreme of pointing out that Baylor's Pres. was the Special Council against Bill C. Baylor IS a fine institution, and one has to ask the question...would a winner like Briles be willing to put his program and career at risk for a defensive lineman? Don't flame me, please. I have been a Tide Fan since 1957, but I can clearly see that there are some Baylor haters on our site.... I am not saying that bad stuff doesn't happen in Waco... .it does like in Tuscaloosa....and around other campus... Think about this a minute...this was a HORRIBLE story...and then the girl went back to her Party (which was off campus) and she told some of her friends that she "thinks' she has just been raped??

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

smilinc;2784715[B said:
]A careful reading of this shows that it is a hit piece[/B]..... This is a '60 Minutes Article'... even going to the extreme of pointing out that Baylor's Pres. was the Special Council against Bill C. Baylor IS a fine institution, and one has to ask the question...would a winner like Briles be willing to put his program and career at risk for a defensive lineman? Don't flame me, please. I have been a Tide Fan since 1957, but I can clearly see that there are some Baylor haters on our site.... I am not saying that bad stuff doesn't happen in Waco... .it does like in Tuscaloosa....and around other campus... Think about this a minute...this was a HORRIBLE story...and then the girl went back to her Party (which was off campus) and she told some of her friends that she "thinks' she has just been raped??
No... It's an investigative report done by Outside the Lines.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.