Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers (Update: Briles Fired, AD and Starr Resigns)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers (Update: Briles Fired, AD and Starr Resign)

There's a pretty graphic video of a Baylor player beating a dog that has emerged. Here's Jim Grobe's response. Must be something in the water in Waco that makes people stupid..

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
There's a pretty graphic video of a Baylor player beating a dog that has emerged. Here's Jim Grobe's response. Must be something in the water in Waco that makes people stupid..

I'm really disappointed with Grobe. I use to have a lot of respect for the guy. Anyone, and I mean anyone, that tbeats any animal like that has some real "wiring" issues. The guy doesn't need someone making excuses for him.

The player, and heck maybe even Grobe, need to spend the weekend at a local Waco humane shelter doing nothing but cleaning kennels......with a toothbrush.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I'm really disappointed with Grobe. I use to have a lot of respect for the guy. Anyone, and I mean anyone, that tbeats any animal like that has some real "wiring" issues. The guy doesn't need someone making excuses for him.

The player, and heck maybe even Grobe, need to spend the weekend at a local Waco humane shelter doing nothing but cleaning kennels......with his own toothbrush.
FIFY.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We got drilled at the hospital (uh, busy) yesterday, so I went three hours past shift. I was late coming home and happened to have ESPN Radio on from my morning drive so I heard Cowlishaw and Moseley's closing. They referenced the Art Briles upcoming interview and his potential - particularly for the NFL (college would present the same problems that got him in trouble) - for 2017.

But then they said something I had never heard before. I'm sure we all remember the 2013 version of "Saban to Texas." Well, they were saying on the show that Briles was their guy after Saban but (wait for it) Briles made clear to Texas they could simply give him the job, and he wasn't going to sit for any interview. I was thinking, "I'm not sure what's funnier......Texas being so arrogant as to think Briles would drop everything immediately and come there or Briles giving them a dose of their own arrogant medicine by saying hire me or leave me alone."

It seems to me he would have fit right in. (And don't anybody come back at me with Bobby Bowden 1990 at Alabama; Bowden had already been considered in 1987 and his record since the previous interview was stellar; Briles is still an Artie Come Lately).

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Interesting conundrum for Briles.

On the one hand, he needs to show contrition in order to rehabilitate his image. But to do that, he has to admit wrongdoing....as in, how can you be apologetic / regretful / contrite if you really and truly did nothing wrong?

BUT

There's the small matter of an eight-digit suit against Baylor for wrongful termination. Which, based on a quick Google search, it appears he is still pursuing. Which suit hinges on his contention that Baylor terminated him without cause and therefore owes him the rest of his contract, plus damages for loss of reputation (nevermind how laughable that last part is).

So if he did nothing wrong (as he alleges in his lawsuit), why is he going on national TV trumpeting how he wishes he'd done things differently? If he does indeed have things for which he is so regretful that it requires a nationally televised cleansing of the soul, what are the grounds for his lawsuit?

So which is more important to him -- money or reputation? Given an ego that would make Jerry Jones or Bobby Petrino blush, I think we know the answer.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
They referenced the Art Briles upcoming interview and his potential - particularly for the NFL (college would present the same problems that got him in trouble) - for 2017.
I think the NFL is an interesting option for Briles. College football, at least in theory, requires the coach to be more than just a smart football guy, but to really handle teenage boys who have both a sense of entitlements and aggression. In the NFL, the league office has stricter rules to oversee behavior anyway, and while he had no business getting involved to the degree he did in college, it certainly wouldn't be his role in the NFL to intervene (when/if his players abused women).

I really question any major college football program willing to hire him. I think he would carry a stigma, I think it would impact him in recruiting, and bring greater scrutiny than most football programs would want. I can see Auburn going after Petrino, I can see Herman being on people's lists, I can also see Kiffin heating up in terms of being a candidate. I both imagine and hope that no Power 5 program would touch Briles.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
http://www.ourdailybears.com/2016/9/7/12842794/baylor-art-briles-pepper-hamilton-tom-rinaldi-kwxt
http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/So...sault-investigation-was-flawed-392649461.html

Its looking more and more like ole Art Briles might have been a scapegoat.

Thing is, the Baylor board of regents has a shady past on numerous fronts. They fired popular Baylor coach Grant Teaff years ago for basically no reason at all.
From that KWTX article:

But in a meeting with athletic staffers in late July, the first the university had with them after the scandal exploded, Baylor’s Title IX coordinator, Patty Crawford, said athletics was not the main concern.

“A very small percentage of our cases have anything to do with athletics”, Crawford said in the meeting, of which KWTX obtained a recording.

“And I've made that very clear to our leadership. This is not an athletics issue in the sense of violence and all these things, this is a human issue.”

Crawford pointed out to the staff that just two football players have been convicted of sexual assault during Briles’ tenure at Baylor, a fact that those we spoke with say was lost in the media frenzy.

Neither of the two players stepped foot on the field after the coaching staff learned of the accusations.
That seems to ignore the stories of females going to coaches or being interviewed by coaches about possible sexual violence by players. Crawford appears to solely focus on the convictions instead of the ignored accusations.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
http://www.ourdailybears.com/2016/9/7/12842794/baylor-art-briles-pepper-hamilton-tom-rinaldi-kwxt
http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/So...sault-investigation-was-flawed-392649461.html

Its looking more and more like ole Art Briles might have been a scapegoat.

Thing is, the Baylor board of regents has a shady past on numerous fronts. They fired popular Baylor coach Grant Teaff years ago for basically no reason at all.
Was Teaff fired? I recall his last game and he stayed on as the AD until the next August, when he resigned. It's pretty difficult to fire a guy as coach and keep him as AD.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Those who spoke with KWTX agreed with Pepper Hamilton’s assertion that the university did not provide adequate training for employees about the Title IX process. Our sources told us the football program and its head coach had “zero training” to handle sexual assault issues.
Why should they? It is a Baptist university, so...........

"It can't happen here."

I'm not a fan of Briles, and never will be. Somehow, he may not be worst villain, when compared to the PTB, down there. Which wouldn't surprise me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.