The Big 12 has a real problem.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You are effectively saying if the Big 12 could get Colorado, aTm, Missouri, and Nebraska back then the conference would be OK and that Texas has no history of arrogance or that the LHN was the last straw.

If Texas had fielded a decent team this year, this conversation doesn't take place. TCU, Baylor, Okie Lite, and Oklahoma all had good teams this year. It's all about the Longhorns, not the Longhorn Network.

Oddly enough, Nick Saban could fix the whole conference. No wonder they don't give up.
If the Big 12 could get back those teams, it would fix a lot of things. But that's really chicken/egg talk. IF a lot of things got fixed, those 4 teams never would have left. Chief among them was Texas's arrogance. You may be capable of doing some things, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should actually do them. This is what the LHN is an example of. It's great for Texas, but Texas happens to be a member of a conference. And I do believe it was the final straw in the Big 12's effective demise.

What makes a conference great, on a long term level, is tradition and fan support of which one fuels the other. Texas vs. Texas A&M. Oklahoma vs. Nebraska. Missouri vs. Kansas. Those things are now gone forever and cannot be replaced at all, in any meaningful way, by other teams. Texas vs. Baylor will never move the needle like Texas vs. Texas A&M.

All of this is true no matter what Texas's record is.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
You are effectively saying if the Big 12 could get Colorado, aTm, Missouri, and Nebraska back then the conference would be OK and that Texas has no history of arrogance or that the LHN was the last straw.

If Texas had fielded a decent team this year, this conversation doesn't take place. TCU, Baylor, Okie Lite, and Oklahoma all had good teams this year. It's all about the Longhorns, not the Longhorn Network.

Oddly enough, Nick Saban could fix the whole conference. No wonder they don't give up.
You missed B1GTide's point both times. He's not saying "revenue sharing" by itself killed the conference. He's saying UT's attempt to control the revenue sharing killed the conference. Throw in the terrible Longhorn Network and UT essentially destroyed the Big12.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The Texas power play around the Longhorn Network and revenue sharing killed that conference. My boss is a Sooner and wishes that they would leave for any of the other P5 conferences other than the ACC.
Because it led to the defection of 4 teams. And because it makes it impossible to attract really good schools to that conference.

Texas thought that they owned the conference, and that destroyed the conference.
You missed B1GTide's point both times.
Then help me out. What'd I miss?

In his first post he states the conference is dead. I disagreed. Baylor, TCU, Okie Lite, and OU would also disagree. The conference put a team in the playoffs this year.

In his second post he states the LHN and revenue sharing led to the defection of four teams. I agree but maintain the only reason the conference is perceived as down is that Texas has had several bad years.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Then help me out. What'd I miss?

In his first post he states the conference is dead. I disagreed. Baylor, TCU, Okie Lite, and OU would also disagree. The conference put a team in the playoffs this year.

In his second post he states the LHN and revenue sharing led to the defection of four teams. I agree but maintain the only reason the conference is perceived as down is that Texas has had several bad years.
I think you read it wrong. He meant UT's handling of the revenue sharing debate hurt the conference, not the revenue sharing itself.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
You missed B1GTide's point both times. He's not saying "revenue sharing" by itself killed the conference. He's saying UT's attempt to control the revenue sharing killed the conference. Throw in the terrible Longhorn Network and UT essentially destroyed the Big12.
The Longhorn Network, I imagine that was a result of a sick conference and just put things into motion. The SWC and the Big 8 was just not a good fit. I was shock when Nebraska bolted, be like us losing Tennessee.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Think about it - how good are those teams, really? Yes, OU got into the playoffs - because they played all 3 of those other teams when they had huge disadvantages, and they still barely won those games. These teams would be average teams in every other P5 conference other than the ACC last year, and they would not have even won the ACC. If Texas was better, all that would change is that TCU and/or Baylor would be worse as they would lose key recruits to Texas. But the conference is still a train wreck.

Are they dead forever? Probably not. But I don't see them winning a championship anytime soon.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The big 12 did their usual no show on signing day. Texas did all right at 11 but Oklahoma finished 23rd. TCU 22nd and Baylor 17. That is no way to win the CFP.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.