NSD Eve Recruiting Report

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
We normally have our class lined up, and have an uneventful signing day. I dont remember this much NSD drama since 2008.

I have posted several announcement threads, just so we are a step ahead and dont have a million threads being created at a high traffic time. Please dont read into those other than we are being considered at the moment.

The situation is fluid, dont shoot the messenger.... :biggrin:

Let's start with the LBs:

Davis- most feel very confident.
Wilson- greater than 50% shot, though Georgia has been tough.
Hall- closest to him feel it is Bama
Juarez- 50/50, really.

WRs:

This one could go several directions. Everyone has mixed signals on AJ Brown, including OM who is positive on everyone. He holds the keys here, with Bama possibly going with Mykel Jones if Brown is a no. Ahmmon Richards is going to Miami. On the bad note, UGA is trying to flip Tyler Simmons and the family is not fully decided.

OL:

If Lashley is on board, then Dickerson is out of play. As of this AM, that was the thought. Dickerson could come on board if Lashley does not.

DBs:

Another twisted one. Knott making it official is great. Shy Carter is the second piece. If he gives the staff an indication, then Mayden is out. If Carter goes elsewhere, then Mayden may still have a spot. All in timing/decisions. A little noise on Perry not having an LOI, but that is muddy.

DL:

Michail Carter was leaning Bama as early as last week, but sources say he may be a UGA lean now. May have something to do with Derrick Brown eliminating UGA. Bama is in play for Brown, too, but confidence is low at this point. Interesting development is that Jefferey Simmons may be considering Bama strongly, as OM is confused and uncertain on him. Jamar King pushing his announcement back probably means he is waiting on us to tell him if he has a spot.

RB:

Jacobs is concerned about PT at Bama, but hopefully the coaches straigtened that out with him. Bama or Mizzou and literally 50/50 as of this AM.

TE:

Asiasi may actually be in play, as USC is not confident. Could be why Irvin Smith did not pull the trigger, yet, as many thought he would this weekend.

Not expecting to be a player for Hardman, Warrior, or Perine, though they may have Bama hats on the table.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Thanks for the preview and all the work you and many others do to make this 'cruitin board informative and intelligent. So many other sites have such drivel. Thanks for your hard work RTO22.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
We normally have our class lined up, and have an uneventful signing day. I dont remember this much NSD drama since 2008.

I have posted several announcement threads, just so we are a step ahead and dont have a million threads being created at a high traffic time. Please dont read into those other than we are being considered at the moment.

The situation is fluid, dont shoot the messenger.... :biggrin:

Let's start with the LBs:

Davis- most feel very confident.
Wilson- greater than 50% shot, though Georgia has been tough.
Hall- closest to him feel it is Bama
Juarez- 50/50, really.

WRs:

This one could go several directions. Everyone has mixed signals on AJ Brown, including OM who is positive on everyone. He holds the keys here, with Bama possibly going with Mykel Jones if Brown is a no. Ahmmon Richards is going to Miami. On the bad note, UGA is trying to flip Tyler Simmons and the family is not fully decided.

OL:

If Lashley is on board, then Dickerson is out of play. As of this AM, that was the thought. Dickerson could come on board if Lashley does not.

DBs:

Another twisted one. Knott making it official is great. Shy Carter is the second piece. If he gives the staff an indication, then Mayden is out. If Carter goes elsewhere, then Mayden may still have a spot. All in timing/decisions. A little noise on Perry not having an LOI, but that is muddy.

DL:

Michail Carter was leaning Bama as early as last week, but sources say he may be a UGA lean now. May have something to do with Derrick Brown eliminating UGA. Bama is in play for Brown, too, but confidence is low at this point. Interesting development is that Jefferey Simmons may be considering Bama strongly, as OM is confused and uncertain on him. Jamar King pushing his announcement back probably means he is waiting on us to tell him if he has a spot.

RB:

Jacobs is concerned about PT at Bama, but hopefully the coaches straigtened that out with him. Bama or Mizzou and literally 50/50 as of this AM.

TE:

Asiasi may actually be in play, as USC is not confident. Could be why Irvin Smith did not pull the trigger, yet, as many thought he would this weekend.

Not expecting to be a player for Hardman, Warrior, or Perine, though they may have Bama hats on the table.
Thanks RTO. Really do appreciate the effort.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I'm not one who goes bouncing all over the net just to see where some kid is deciding to go, but I am always interested in the guys who decide to attend Alabama, and the work you guys do certainly makes this the only place I ever have to go. I, too, applaud your efforts and thank you for your time. Roll Tide!

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Holy cow RTO. I always enjoy your posts, and admire & Trust your input as much as any of the other legends on this board; you and a few others are what have always made this board great. But after the multiple "things are looking very good as we approach NSD" posts over the last 48 hours, I read your outlook as decidedly more pessimistic than most others I trust. I'm hoping you tend to take a "glass is half empty" perspective so that any positive outcomes are really good news...instead of expecting something based on probability and being disappointed when it doesn't come to fruition.

I am confident tomorrow will be a good day....but I'm hoping tomorrow will be a great and dominating day by taking care of the in-state LB commitments and then getting surprise commitments out of Miss, Tex, and SoCal.

RTR!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I'm not one who goes bouncing all over the net just to see where some kid is deciding to go, but I am always interested in the guys who decide to attend Alabama, and the work you guys do certainly makes this the only place I ever have to go. I, too, applaud your efforts and thank you for your time. Roll Tide!
Agreed 100% - I've been camped out here on the recruiting board since the day after we won the 16th!

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
RTO has a great run-down, and I'll just append my thoughts to his in lieu of posting a separate thread. In general, I'll endorse what he has said, but will add a few things:

Speaking broadly, as we now stand less than 18 hours from the start of NSD, this is the most unsettled class we have had in many years. The numbers as to how many we will actually take are highly fluid, and there are roughly thirteen (13) prospects legitimately in play for Alabama at this point. Now, none of that is to be viewed in a negative light, as we have a fine class assembled and should close out very strongly. Rest assured, this isn't a Fran / Shula era class where we are doomed to whiff at the plate all day long, we're going to have some major additions tomorrow. It's going to be a fine class when the dust settles, but things just aren't set in stone as of right now in quite the same way that they have been in recent years.

Specifically on certain recruits/pecking order:

Feel very confident on Davis, and almost as confident on Wilson. Confidence level on Hall is right up there with Wilson, and barring a late change-of-heart, I think we have him in a close battle. I'm less sanguine on Juarez, who I believe will ultimately stay on the West Coast despite some pretty overt interest for 'Bama. If we can get three out of four here, though, it will be a great LB haul.

At tailback, believe Pennamon is the priority, but everyone has had a hard time getting a strong feeling on him. I do believe Jacobs has a spot if he wants it -- think we take whichever one of him and Pennamon go first -- but playing time is a big concern with him and I'm not sure we can overcome it.

At WR, the lack of Ole Miss' jubilitation on Brown is re-assuring, but he's been tough to read for the longest now. I don't think he stays in Starkville, but really won't be surprised at all if it's either Ole Miss or 'Bama. Think Richards probably signs with Miami, but Brown spurning 'Bama may compel a different result.

Tyler Simmons has been mentioned by some as a possible flip. Keep your eye on him tomorrow, especially if 'Bama has success with Brown and others at WR.

In the defensive backfield, Knott helps things out tremendously. Where we go from here is an unknown, as Ole Miss people believe the Knott decisions pushes Carter to them. Frankly, I'm more worried with LSU when it comes to Carter. Perhaps we can get Mayden, but the Oklahoma ties will not be easily overcome, though you have to note our presence in recent years in the DFW.

Thinking we land Lashley tomorrow. Been a tough fight, and one largely under the radar, but feel we've turned the corner on this one. That's at least what I'm hoping, anyway, because there is no such thing in this day and age as too many OTs on campus.

At tight end, Devin Asiasi is in play, but I'm a bit skeptical. He's interested and was impressed on his visit, but that's a long way to go on a late decision. It happens from time to time, but those cases are exceptions to the general rule. I'm thinking he stays on the West Coast tomorrow, though we are in the mix. I'm thinking we take Irvin Smith at TE and call it a day.

On the D-line, I'm not overly confident on any of the big three prep prospects. We're in it for all three, but perhaps not the favorite for any. Michael Carter may be our best bet, but Kirby has put UGA in play. With Simmons, I have a hard time betting against Ole Miss, and Brown's adoration for Auburn has always struck me the wrong way.

Jamar King will sign with 'Bama if we have a spot for him, and he will hold off on signing until the staff gives him definitive word. Think we're going to have to see some misses before anything opens up for him, though. Based on the above, though, wouldn't be surprised if that happens, though, and King ends up in the class tomorrow.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Just as a personal aside, I'll be out of pocket until about 10:15 a.m. CST tomorrow, but will be around after that.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
One more note, on Mykel Jones...

His last-minute visit cancellation on Ole Miss and his ensuing trip to Oklahoma has really turned some heads. Going to have to check around as to what is happening on him, because the late chatter has him going to the Sooners.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
TE:

Smith just tweeted this announcement. I figure Asiasi will have announced by this time, so he's waiting on that news before making his decision.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Worth noting that Irvin Smith is announcing some 75 minutes after ​Asiasi tomorrow. I would not assume that is a coincidence.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I can't stand it when they say 3-4 years...Just say 4 and at least act like you want to get your degree...I apologize if this offends anyone, it's just a pet-peeve of mine. And before I get a hard time, I know that they can graduate in 3 years, but as a student at Alabama in the 80's, I needed more than 4 and I didn't play football...:)

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL
I can't stand it when they say 3-4 years...Just say 4 and at least act like you want to get your degree...I apologize if this offends anyone, it's just a pet-peeve of mine. And before I get a hard time, I know that they can graduate in 3 years, but as a student at Alabama in the 80's, I needed more than 4 and I didn't play football...:)
Thank you! My sentiment as well.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Can't we just get Asiasi as a DE and Smith as a TE?
From What I've gathered Irvin (Silent is what I've heard after Saban's in home) and Asiasi are both takes and we could have a gray shirt or decommitment. But let me dig a little more tonight.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Holy cow RTO. I always enjoy your posts, and admire & Trust your input as much as any of the other legends on this board; you and a few others are what have always made this board great. But after the multiple "things are looking very good as we approach NSD" posts over the last 48 hours, I read your outlook as decidedly more pessimistic than most others I trust. I'm hoping you tend to take a "glass is half empty" perspective so that any positive outcomes are really good news...instead of expecting something based on probability and being disappointed when it doesn't come to fruition.

I am confident tomorrow will be a good day....but I'm hoping tomorrow will be a great and dominating day by taking care of the in-state LB commitments and then getting surprise commitments out of Miss, Tex, and SoCal.

RTR!
It's not a pessimistic post, just realistic because these are teenagers. Most of the info is good news, esp on Brown and Simmons. Anytime OM is hesitant is good news for us.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.