UConn creating a "black only" living space

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/0...pace-to-promote-scholarship.html?intcmp=hpbt2

And if you think this segregation is a bad idea? Well, you must be racist of course.

“The white portion of the University of Connecticut is probably not ready for it,” he said. “You have people who are going to go against it because they are just racist and they see this as a form of segregation or that we’re getting better things than they are.”
I initially thought this guy must be a real idiot, but then I noticed his major and after a good laugh, I just felt sorry for him. It's puppetry bwahaha

The onion would be proud.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
This is from snopes site:
In order to help black males graduate, the University of Connecticut is constructing a dorm with a living space only for them.

Called the ScHOLA2RS House, the living community for African American males is set to open in 2016. According to UConn's website, the ScHOLA2RS House is "a scholastic initiative to groom, nurture, and train the next generation of leaders to address grand challenges in society through the promotion of academic success in undergraduate programs at the University of Connecticut and in competitive graduate programs."
So, sounds like snopes is saying the story is false while acknowledging the segregation.

Edit: It appears the Fox article is slanted, but this is a real thing and still sounds bad to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
This is from snopes site:

So, sounds like snopes is saying the story is false while acknowledging the segregation.

Edit: It appears the Fox article is slanted, but this is a real thing and still sounds bad to me.
There seems to be some confusion about what is actually happening, probably due to the name of the program "ScHOLA²RS House"
This is not a physical building, it is a community. The building where they will be living (NextGen Hall) has other communities in it, too, so it's not segregation, per se.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
There seems to be some confusion about what is actually happening, probably due to the name of the program "ScHOLA²RS House"
This is not a physical building, it is a community. The building where they will be living (NextGen Hall) has other communities in it, too, so it's not segregation, per se.
Can you imagine the outcry if one of those communities was for white males only?

Thurgood Marshall made his legacy on the assertion that "separate but equal" was not only unconscionable, but physically impossible. Wonder what he would say about this?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Can you imagine the outcry if one of those communities was for white males only?

Thurgood Marshall made his legacy on the assertion that "separate but equal" was not only unconscionable, but physically impossible. Wonder what he would say about this?
The community is not even exclusive to black males.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The community is not even exclusive to black males.
"Offically" it is not exclusive to black males but, I doubt a white male will ever be selected for the program.

The following is all from UConn's website:

Scholastic House Of Leaders who are African American Researchers & Scholars

ScHOLA²RS House is a Learning Community designed to support the scholastic efforts of male students who identify as African American/Black through academic and social/emotional support, access to research opportunities, and professional development.

Any male undergraduate student enrolled at the University of Connecticut and eligible for on-campus housing can apply to live in ScHOLA²RS House. Male students who will be first- or second-year students in the next academic year and who identify as African American/Black or mixed-race will be prioritized in selection

If this "Learning Community" had been aimed at white males, every news organization in the country would be calling UConn racist.

Last edited:

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Well, it does say students who "identify as African American/Black". That's a hole wide enough for Rachel Dolezal to drive a semi through.
Seems exclusionary of those who only "identify as" male, though.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let me just say this about the whole thing here (not even addressing the veracity of this particular instance). We heard about this 'safe space' stuff at Mizzou.

My first year of college (1987-88) there was this really popular black guy who got elected to the SGA. He and I hung out; in fact, he sort of got me 'into' watching the evening news and politics while my roommate got me 'into' Johnny Carson and was the movie critic (he ran the film at the local theatre, so he saw all the movies and kept me posted on what to watch). But my black friend (Ross) and I hung out all the time. Not a big deal, right?

Here we are on a campus in northeast Mississippi and NOT ONE WHITE person said a single word to me about hanging out with 'that black guy.' NOT ONE - in two years. But he had several black friends otoh that gave him no end of grief for hanging out 'with that white boy.'

We listened to "Prairie Home Companion" together, watched Dan Rather every evening, had at least 2 of the 3 meals per day with each other, etc. He mentioned it to me one night and I looked puzzled and said, "What the hell was all that marching about 20 years ago? And all that stuff about white and black singing 'Free At Last?'"

I never understood it then or now. And I had two other black friends of lesser involvement at the school who both got the same treatment from other blacks as well. The only complaint I ever got from my white friends about him was about his outspoken liberalism (he had a weekly column in the school paper).

On the flip side - on 11/8/88 (Election Day), he and I walked down the hallway together. I was wearing my red jacket with Bush/Quayle stickers on it and he was wearing a nice sweater with a pamphlet sticking out that said "Dukakis/Bentsen." My music prof, who had been there since the integration days of 1970 or so, said to me it was one of the more amusing things he'd seen that never would have been seen there 20 years earlier - a white guy and black guy in civil conversation walking down the hall, one with Republican stickers, one with Democrat.

He thought it was great.

me too.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Well selma, unfortunately for the current generation growing up equal treatment is not good enough, they must have special treatment.

It is sad to think that this country is more divided now than it was 25 years ago. It's coming from young people who have never lived through or know what true racial injustice or inequality feels like. They just read about it in a book, someone looks at them wrong and then they start a protest.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Well selma, unfortunately for the current generation growing up equal treatment is not good enough, they must have special treatment.

It is sad to think that this country is more divided now than it was 25 years ago. It's coming from young people who have never lived through or know what true racial injustice or inequality feels like. They just read about it in a book, someone looks at them wrong and then they start a protest.
Race arguments are like fighting with your wife. You think you are right, so does she. At some point someone gives enough so you can move on in some peace. At some point, though, it comes back up, worse than before....and usually, it has to do with money, equality of workload, or how you treated her in the past

In other words, there is no fix, but when the economy is good in your house.....the arguments tend to go away for a while

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They are like arguing with your wife because no matter how much logic you throw her way, you are going to be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.