Ken Stabler had Severe C.T.E.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Re: Ken Stabler had Severe C. E. T.

Yea, I heard this on the radio this morning. Donated his brain and they determined on a scale from 1-4 he was a high 3. I can hear his voice now thinking about game broadcasts past and really miss him.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL

RIP, Snake.

In better news, Hopefully Kenny will be inducted into the Pro Football HOF here in a couple of days. Long overdue.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

They are saying Earl Morrall had stage 4 when he passed away. This is something that is going to have to be dealt with, and I do realize that researchers are doing their best. Hopefully technology will allow a breakthrough. This game is part of the fabric of our country but I hate it that it does so much damage. Busted up knees, a sore back, things like that are one thing. But long term brain damage?

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
I hate to see Namath's autopsy.... He didn't get focused until he got a busted lip. The man actually craved the taste of blood.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR

Yea, I heard this on the radio this morning. Donated his brain and they determined on a scale from 1-4 he was a high 3. I can hear his voice now thinking about game broadcasts past and really miss him.
Yeah, I only knew him as a broadcaster covering Bama. I thought he was great. It was kind of an added bonus knowing that he was a legendary QB.

chains

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2009

I wonder if a study is going on checking for CTE on brains of people that never played football. I would bet they would find many. ALS and dementia may be the result of concussions, but my mother had dementia and never had a concussion. It is easy to come to a conclusion that football leads to these TERRIBLE things, but it is common in all genders and non athletes

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

And most mine workers probably have some level of black lung. Kenny won a national championship, a Super Bowl, was famous the world over, and made a fortune. I obviously wish he'd not had CTE, but in the grand scheme of worker related injuries, this one comes with a pretty good upside.

I'd like to view it that way, I really would. But earlier this week I saw the story about Tony Dorsett that was out about a year ago saying 'he had no idea it was going to be like this.'

I have a real hard time thinking about that for anybody. And I wonder how much of a hypocrite I am when my first thought from nine years ago was, "Thank God my kid hated playing football."

Liked Snake, though, and always will.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I'd like to view it that way, I really would. But earlier this week I saw the story about Tony Dorsett that was out about a year ago saying 'he had no idea it was going to be like this.'

I have a real hard time thinking about that for anybody. And I wonder how much of a hypocrite I am when my first thought from nine years ago was, "Thank God my kid hated playing football."

Liked Snake, though, and always will.
I feel the same way, and am also very thankful that both of my boys hated (and still hate) football.

RIP, Snake

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Jim McMahon is in the early stages and Earl Campbell uses a wheelchair.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

I am in favor of learning all we can about this and doing what we can to prevent the injuries that may cause it. Like was mentioned above, I would also like the studies to include a broader group which included those who never played sports and those who play different sports. Everyone should be made aware of any risks involved in the activities or careers they choose but the ultimate decision should be their own.
I don't believe Kenny Stabler would have changed a thing. He lived his life and turned in a body that had enjoyed it.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

I am friends with an SEC legend. He has brain issues (has passed out unexpectedly) doctors say is from football. Despite it he was a noted attorney. Often says he is glad his kids and grandkids don't play. But he enjoyed his playing days.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
I would love to hear what they have experimented with in terms of advances to helmet technology.

It may not look as good, but why not add an extra inch or two of some kind of shock absorbing material to the helmets.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I would love to hear what they have experimented with in terms of advances to helmet technology.

It may not look as good, but why not add an extra inch or two of some kind of shock absorbing material to the helmets.
There was a post on the Non-Sports board about a helmet that had been designed to collapse, thereby absorbing a great deal of the energy from a hit. It was a fascinating read. I may try to go find it.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
There is a tremendous amount of money and effort from the military studying TBI's (traumatic brain injury). There has been a lot of collaborative research between the military and sports medicine regarding these issues. Hopefully the increased attention and resources will help with designing a helmet than can reduce these issues.

I wonder just how many people who dont have a history of impacts to the head develop CTE later in life. I also wonder how many of these athletes show signs of CTE, but don't ever have mental or emotional issues while alive. Recently I had an MRI on my back and it showed I had a black disk. I freaked out for a bit until the doc said it is really quite common and many people never show any symptoms at all. The human body is amazing at adapting to damage or degradation. I'm not sure what level of damage the brain can sustain and still function properly, but as someone that has had many concussions, it definitely makes me wonder what the future holds.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I wonder if a study is going on checking for CTE on brains of people that never played football. I would bet they would find many. ALS and dementia may be the result of concussions, but my mother had dementia and never had a concussion. It is easy to come to a conclusion that football leads to these TERRIBLE things, but it is common in all genders and non athletes
CTE is distinguishable on autopsy from the other common brain dementias - Alzheimer's, vascular and Lewy Body dementia...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There is a tremendous amount of money and effort from the military studying TBI's (traumatic brain injury). There has been a lot of collaborative research between the military and sports medicine regarding these issues. Hopefully the increased attention and resources will help with designing a helmet than can reduce these issues.

I wonder just how many people who dont have a history of impacts to the head develop CTE later in life. I also wonder how many of these athletes show signs of CTE, but don't ever have mental or emotional issues while alive. Recently I had an MRI on my back and it showed I had a black disk. I freaked out for a bit until the doc said it is really quite common and many people never show any symptoms at all. The human body is amazing at adapting to damage or degradation. I'm not sure what level of damage the brain can sustain and still function properly, but as someone that has had many concussions, it definitely makes me wonder what the future holds.
There is a huge difference. My spine is severely stenosed (compressed) at the top (cervical) and bottom (lumbar), to the point that I've lost 4" of height over the last 25 years and I should have severe pain and numb feet and legs I have none of those symptoms In addition, I've had several concussions, but no one who knows me thinks I've slowed down mentally. I don't believe, however, that it's the major concussions which are the problem as much as the continually repeated smaller insults to the brain...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.