Any high ranked player who didn't sign today?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
This makes no sense to me....and I am not arguing with you JNM81, only stating this kind of teenage logic is hard for me to understand. The player announces that he is not signing early because he wants to wait on his SAT scores (which could only mean Stanford and ND were in play because both have higher entrance requirements than UGA or UA), and then he is upset because UGA gets the best WR class it can get? Geez. On the bright side, maybe we will be saying, "Thank goodness we whiffed on our receiver targets" in a week or two. (that doesn't make sense either).

RTR
It makes sense to me, at least on the surface. Though some of this is just personal reasoning.

Imagine you were the #1 WR in your state, and one of the top in the nation. You told your state school you were very interested, but you wanted to wait for your SAT scores because you have a chance to go to one of the top schools in the country education wise. The home school tells you okay, they'll save you a spot just in case. Then on signing day, you see them fill their class (presumably), and take extra WR's to boot. You're saying you wouldn't take them out of the mix, and be the slightest bit upset?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe he's good to go for ND. He's just waiting to see if his SAT score is good for Stanford before he visits.

247 still believes ND is the team to beat.
You may be right. ND academic standards are higher than ours and I thought he needed to pad his SAT a little for ND also.

TheTideRocks

Sep 11, 2013
It is admirable to set high standards but exceling any collegiate sports requires a full time commitment to the sport. If you struggled with SAT, you would probably struggle academically as well.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It is admirable to set high standards but exceling any collegiate sports requires a full time commitment to the sport. If you struggled with SAT, you would probably struggle academically as well.
If his GPA is good enough for either Stanford or ND (and it clearly is), I believe he would be fine. Some people aren't just good at standardized tests.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I still feel like we need to fill some DE needs. We lost 3 or 4 DL this year and will lose another 3-5 DL next year. We were so good this year because of our DL was so deep. We picked up some DT's, but Terrell Hall was our only true DE and that was late. The Juco guy doesn't seem to be the quality of a Jarran Reed. We play 8-9 DL a game and need to keep filling those spots with hight quality players. Derrick Brown was someone I really wanted.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I still feel like we need to fill some DE needs. We lost 3 or 4 DL this year and will lose another 3-5 DL next year. We were so good this year because of our DL was so deep. We picked up some DT's, but Terrell Hall was our only true DE and that was late. The Juco guy doesn't seem to be the quality of a Jarran Reed. We play 8-9 DL a game and need to keep filling those spots with hight quality players. Derrick Brown was someone I really wanted.
Why are we comparing Jamar King to Jarron Reed? Every players are different. King will be fine.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
FYR, Hall is a Jack LB.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
It is admirable to set high standards but excelling any collegiate sports requires a full time commitment to the sport. If you struggled with SAT, you would probably struggle academically as well.
Actually it's a statistical fact that ACT scores are not a great predictor of college success. The test can return wildly inconsistent results depending on how fast you read and how well you guess the answers on questions you don't have time to finish. It's been proven that grades in high school are a much better predictor because they will reflect how hard a kid is willing to work while the ACT doesn't predict that at all.

My wife was in a medical field job that required a high ACT to get in the program and she talked to one girl who came in and drew Christmas trees on the answer sheet and made almost 30 on the ACT.

JoeWilly12

1st Team
Sep 27, 2006
Athens, AL
My wife was in a medical field job that required a high ACT to get in the program and she talked to one girl who came in and drew Christmas trees on the answer sheet and made almost 30 on the ACT.
I don't think it is possible to get a 30 on the ACT by drawing Christmas trees on the answer sheet.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You may be right. ND academic standards are higher than ours and I thought he needed to pad his SAT a little for ND also.
We don't know how close he is to what Stanford wants, but considering it's one of the toughest schools in the country to get accepted to, it's a safe assumption he's scored pretty well already...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I stand by my first impression that anyone who has months to decide where they are going to play and then wants to be "the last man standing" is a Drama Queen. If it is a SAT issue, why is he the ONLY one who does not know his score?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I stand by my first impression that anyone who has months to decide where they are going to play and then wants to be "the last man standing" is a Drama Queen. If it is a SAT issue, why is he the ONLY one who does not know his score?
Because he was 100 points short of qualifying for his dream school, retook the test one last time without regard for how it affected the Wednesday ratings on ESPN 2, and is now awaiting his score -- minus any myopic updates on Twitter.

His life, his timetable.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Simply put, you can take it several times and prepare hoping to get a higher score. If he is close to qualifying, I understand it. Seems his head is in the right place. Can't speak for his heart but most of the time......who can?

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe he's good to go for ND. He's just waiting to see if his SAT score is good for Stanford before he visits.

247 still believes ND is the team to beat.
That's the impression I get, although it's a little bit surprising. Stanford may top ND in the USNWR (and other) rankings and have a bit more cache, but when it comes to accepted applicant GPAs and test scores at any of the top 20 or so schools, differences are really hair thin, and at times, a school ranked 10-20 might have higher average GPAs and test scores than a school ranked 1-9. There just isn't a lot of difference in the acceptance pools at these top schools. There are images to be maintained though, I guess...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Wow, this comes off really horribly.

I'm sorry, but if I had a chance to go to Stanford I wouldn't care if it cost me a spot at Alabama. I love UA, but a degree from Stanford paves a lot more roads, and the chances to get to the NFL are still really good as well.

I commend this young man for not bowing to the ESPN mentality of making huge announcements on signing day, and looking out for what's really best for him.

As for why HE doesn't know the score, they haven't sent it to him yet. You don't get instant gratification from these tests, and you can take them up through the spring.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.