Negotiating a used car deal

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Re: Negotiating an used car deal

Subaru was another brand I was considering. I'm just not sold on GM products right now even though my Envoy has been good for me. Anyway, I've heard they are expensive to work on. Parts are high, etc. Is this accurate or am I thinking of Mazda's?

I don't think I would really care about having a 4 cylinder, but my father thinks I shouldn't buy anything without a V6 in it. I do want to be able to pass people and get up a hill, however. Haha.
I'd say this is probably an accurate statement. It is only a 2013 so we haven't had to have anything major done to it, but the 4 cylinder is a boxer engine and subaru starts you off with synthetic oil which ends up being about 60$ an oil change.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

My only addition to the good advice would be to never worry about offending when making an offer. They can always say no. I have had plenty of used car dealers try to pull things over on me, so I guess I am jaded a little. Like others have said, ALWAYS have a trusted mechanic (if you don't have one get one), look over anything off of a lot.

This is one time to never trust and always verify everything.

I once almost bought a Toyota T100 off of a lot. Everything looked good and it drove ok. The problem? There was a V8 emblem on it that just didn't look familiar. Sure enough when I checked the engine it wasn't a V8. I'm not sure, but I don't think Toyota put V8s in T100s a the time. I ended up buying a different truck that had a 6 cylinder. It would have been that big a deal, and I probably would have bought it at the price asked, if the guy didn't just repeatedly lie through his teeth. A few weeks later I drove by the lot to see if he had taken that emblem off. He had not.
I'm probably wrong here but I don't think they ever put V8's in the T100's did they?

I know one thing, I owned that 3.5L EcoBoost in my last F150 and I miss it. Those twin turbos made that motor a DREAM. But dumb me, I traded it in on a SuperCrew 4x4 with the 5.0 because I thought this E85 would be picked up more than it has been. If I buy another F150 (I'm pretty loyal to them) it will have that 3.5 EB in it. It makes the 5.0 seem weak and the 5.0 has 360hp/380 or 385 lbs-ft of torque. The 3.5 is 365/420 and could probably get about 17mpg and possibly in the 20's on the interstate when I get about 10 in town and maybe 17 on the interstate. Of course my 35" BFG's don't help much:biggrin:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

I'm probably wrong here but I don't think they ever put V8's in the T100's did they?
I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. I'm not anywhere near a source on the subject. The emblem just looked weird.

I know one thing, I owned that 3.5L EcoBoost in my last F150 and I miss it. Those twin turbos made that motor a DREAM. But dumb me, I traded it in on a SuperCrew 4x4 with the 5.0 because I thought this E85 would be picked up more than it has been. If I buy another F150 (I'm pretty loyal to them) it will have that 3.5 EB in it. It makes the 5.0 seem weak and the 5.0 has 360hp/380 or 385 lbs-ft of torque. The 3.5 is 365/420 and could probably get about 17mpg and possibly in the 20's on the interstate when I get about 10 in town and maybe 17 on the interstate. Of course my 35" BFG's don't help much:biggrin:
I don't tow or haul anything big so the 6cyl pickups are fine for me. For that vehicle I tend to go find the simplest thing I can drive and run it into the ground. Getting harder to do that now days. Everybody thinks that they need to add loads of crap on a pickup that I just don't want, and the engine systems are getting stupidly complicated. When I'm shopping for any vehicle and they ask me when I'm gonna trade that old truck I end up getting laughing me out of the place. They keep telling me that what I want they can't sell to anyone else but me.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

This is news to me but apparently Subaru in Huntsville has a rental option so I am going to be renting, hopefully, an Outback with H4 engine just to see what a slightly smaller engine will do. I'm excited. Hopefully, it will be this weekend.

Anyone know of other dealerships that do this? Seems like a great way to test out a vehicle in depth before buying instead of just a 20 minute test drive.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This is news to me but apparently Subaru in Huntsville has a rental option so I am going to be renting, hopefully, an Outback with H4 engine just to see what a slightly smaller engine will do. I'm excited. Hopefully, it will be this weekend.

Anyone know of other dealerships that do this? Seems like a great way to test out a vehicle in depth before buying instead of just a 20 minute test drive.
That is a good auto. They overhauled the Forester in 2014, so we bought then, because we had to replace a vehicle. The outback was scheduled to be overhauled in 2015, so I hope that's what you're getting. I think you'll be satisfied with the power. If you'd bought the Jeep with the 5.7L engine, you would have been running on four cylinders much of the time anyway. They have what they call "MDS," or Multi-Displacement System, when knocks out four of the cylinders when you're decelerating or running level on the highway. They modified the exhaust so that it sounds like a V-8 all of the time...

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Hey Jessica.....lots of great input here. One thing I would suggest is to have the vehicle checked out by an indy (independent auto shop/mechanic). The industry term used is to have a PPI (pre purchase inspection) done. This will cost some money but it is a good investment up front because it will provide technical information that will help with your purchase decision.

Depending on the results of the PPI - you could decide to cancel the purchase all together or make an offer that is discounted because of certain negatives found by the mechanic.

For example - if the PPI reveals the brakes are worn and will have to be replaced you could take $100.00 off the asking price. That is a very simple example. The PPI could find much more serious issues (meaning the repair would cost much more) such as a failing gearbox, worn out steering components, or low compression on a cylinder.

The key here is to know of an Indy who could assist with a PPI. Also, you would have to have consent by the seller to let you take the vehicle to have the PPI done.

Now - depending on the seller - you may also have access to a comprehensive checklist of inspections items they have completed on the vehicle that would cover all the stuff a PPI would normally cover. If that is the case, the PPI is done for you by the seller.

Either way, there's nothing wrong with having the vehicle checked out by someone before buying it - other than yourself.

As to your question about negotiating a price....do a little snooping on the Internet and find out what comparable vehicles are going for (same year, mileage, etc.) and use that as a tool for negotiation.

I agree that something other than a Jeep might be a better choice. Toyota, Suburu, etc.

And don't be a big hurry - take your time. That always helps.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
This advice will help you avoid headaches down the road. I paid around $100 for the each inspection I did. Helped me weed out cars that had mechanical or structural issues that would lead to bigger maintenance bills down the line.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

That is a good auto. They overhauled the Forester in 2014, so we bought then, because we had to replace a vehicle. The outback was scheduled to be overhauled in 2015, so I hope that's what you're getting. I think you'll be satisfied with the power. If you'd bought the Jeep with the 5.7L engine, you would have been running on four cylinders much of the time anyway. They have what they call "MDS," or Multi-Displacement System, when knocks out four of the cylinders when you're decelerating or running level on the highway. They modified the exhaust so that it sounds like a V-8 all of the time...

The guy from the dealership just emailed me said they didn't have any Outback's to rent. They have the Forrester or Crosstrex. Which do you think would be most similar to an Outback?

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

The guy from the dealership just emailed me said they didn't have any Outback's to rent. They have the Forrester or Crosstrex. Which do you think would be most similar to an Outback?
The Forrester. The problem with it is that it is more of an SUVish type vehicle. The forrester is 3,296 to 3,651 lbs while the outback is 3,593 to 3,810 lbs. It is not using the same engine, it has 170HP while the base 4 cylinder outback has 175. That may not make much of a difference, but renting the forrester might give you an idea of features, and interior quality and then when you took a test drive of an outback, you might have a better overall feel for how subaru's typically feel.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

chanson is correct. The Outback is basically like a slightly larger Forester. It's a little roomier, although the Forester isn't small, and heavier, hence the ride is a little smoother. Have you checked around with other area dealers to see if someone has an Outback?

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

The Forrester. The problem with it is that it is more of an SUVish type vehicle. The forrester is 3,296 to 3,651 lbs while the outback is 3,593 to 3,810 lbs. It is not using the same engine, it has 170HP while the base 4 cylinder outback has 175. That may not make much of a difference, but renting the forrester might give you an idea of features, and interior quality and then when you took a test drive of an outback, you might have a better overall feel for how subaru's typically feel.
Great thank you. That's what I plan on doing tomorrow after work. It will be my first time renting a vehicle as well. :)

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

chanson is correct. The Outback is basically like a slightly larger Forester. It's a little roomier, although the Forester isn't small, and heavier, hence the ride is a little smoother. Have you checked around with other area dealers to see if someone has an Outback?
I haven't yet. I didn't know if other dealerships do the whole rental thing.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

We bought ours from landers McLarty here in hsv. We were pleased with the overall process and think that we got a fair deal. The only thing I have really been upset with is the amount of calls from other organizations after our warranty expired. Whether that was Landers or some other public information source that queued them onto us, I don't know but it has been annoying as heck.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

If you want to sharpen up your negotiation skills at buying cars...there's none better than Mike Brewer of "Wheeler Dealers"....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

They all do. You might want to get outside the Landers-McLarty family, since they swap inventory all the time. Our last two vehicles came out of Nashville. Much better deals than around here...

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015

Jess, as a retired car man of 42 years, I'll say that all of the above is good advice. I'll go a little further with these tid bits of info, in no particular order.
1. Cars are the guaranteed worst investment you will ever make, choose wisely.
2. Not all car dealerships nor people are liars and crooks just as all Doctors are not quacks nor cops all good and all local trades are not great cars though most are--People will lie about their car at trade in time.
3. Pick your car as you would a spouse, make sure you can live with it a long time without excessive problems ,not as a status symbol or eye candy.
4. Make sure the car passes the smell, vision, and feel test. (mold, wavy metal, fluid leaks or spills, over spray on gaskets where body panels meet and paint lines (raised edges of paint along door, windows, hood and trunk indicates being repainted) Does it drive correctly ?
5.Do your research from NHTSB sites for recalls, Consumer Reports,Carfax, and just google reviews on the make and model.
6. Use KBB.com and Edmonds.com to get an estimate on pricing--be sure to describe condition correctly.
7.If the car and price matches your expectations get it inspected.
8. BTW driving a rental for a few hundred miles is a great idea.
9. Older locally owned dealerships that have a good reputation have the most reason to treat you fairly. They want you, your family,and friends business also.
10. Good Luck ! BTW 4cyls are extremely dependable and most are peppy

Last edited:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

I once was on the verge of buying a two year old car from a dealership (it was a different make from the Ford dealership). My last step was to take it to a mechanic friend to check it out. My friend put it on the rack and showed me where the frame had been welded back together! :eek: if you know a trusted mechanic that could be a help.
Lots of solid advice on here, Jessica, but this is the one I would emphasize the most. A good pre-buy inspection can save you heartache.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

FWIW, I happened to end up driving behind a Forester yesterday and it looked like a really nice sized vehicle. Plenty roomy but not some huge beast like some SUVs you see.

I also really liked the aesthetics.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

Thanks for the tips guys. I went today and when I got there I for sure knew the Forester would be too small so I didn't even bother to rent it since they let me take a good test drive by myself in the Outback. I wasn't there one minute when a salesman came over. Ha. I started telling him I was looking to buy in a month or two when I got my refund check, etc. They had some used 2015 Outback's. One with the 6 and the others with the 4. I wanted to see how the 4 would do so I asked if I could drive alone. He said sure. I was impressed for the most part. I pulled out in traffic, and it went. I didn't feel it lagging or whatever. I took in on a strip of highway where you can go 65 mph, and it did great. Didn't try it on the interstate going 75, but I'm sure it would do fine. Went through some back roads with lots of red lights. I really liked it. It is at the top of my list for sure.

The only two complaints are the headrests and the MPG gauge that keep going to the left then to the right. That was very annoying, and I couldn't figure out how to get it off the dash screen. I would grow tired of that. The headrests protrude too far forward. IMO.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Thanks for the tips guys. I went today and when I got there I for sure knew the Forester would be too small so I didn't even bother to rent it since they let me take a good test drive by myself in the Outback. I wasn't there one minute when a salesman came over. Ha. I started telling him I was looking to buy in a month or two when I got my refund check, etc. They had some used 2015 Outback's. One with the 6 and the others with the 4. I wanted to see how the 4 would do so I asked if I could drive alone. He said sure. I was impressed for the most part. I pulled out in traffic, and it went. I didn't feel it lagging or whatever. I took in on a strip of highway where you can go 65 mph, and it did great. Didn't try it on the interstate going 75, but I'm sure it would do fine. Went through some back roads with lots of red lights. I really liked it. It is at the top of my list for sure.

The only two complaints are the headrests and the MPG gauge that keep going to the left then to the right. That was very annoying, and I couldn't figure out how to get it off the dash screen. I would grow tired of that. The headrests protrude too far forward. IMO.
Interesting. I never noticed the headrests at all. Did you try adjusting them? Also, you can kill that MPG gauge. I think we did. It's the most useless thing I've ever seen...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.