Negotiating a used car deal

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Negotiating an used car deal

FWIW, I happened to end up driving behind a Forester yesterday and it looked like a really nice sized vehicle. Plenty roomy but not some huge beast like some SUVs you see.

I also really liked the aesthetics.
It's a matter of perspective. When we over in Norway several years ago, we rented a Ford Focus. When we got behind Passats, which we had at home back then, they looked huge...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

It's a matter of perspective. When we over in Norway several years ago, we rented a Ford Focus. When we got behind Passats, which we had at home back then, they looked huge...

Good point.

I was in my work truck in this case. Had a pretty good view looking down on it. :)

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

Interesting. I never noticed the headrests at all. Did you try adjusting them? Also, you can kill that MPG gauge. I think we did. It's the most useless thing I've ever seen...
I did raise them up some and it helped. I didn't really try to adjust them back, but I had my hair up so I think it was my ponytail getting in the way. Ha.

The MPG gauge on the new year models are on the digital screen in the middle of the cluster. I stopped in a parking lot to play with everything, and I couldn't get it off there. The people over on a Subaru forum said you can't take it off the screen. That thing is really annoying but I would get used to it.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I also decided to head over to the Nissan dealership after I ran my errands so I didn't have much time, but I wanted to look at the Murano and Pathfinder and Rogue. I sat in the Rogue and it was roomy, but too small in the cargo area I think. I didn't get a chance to sit in the Murano, but I'm going to go test drive an used one in Cullman this week. The guy asked me what was stopping me from buying today and what I wanted for my GMC, and how much monthly payment I wanted to stay at haha. He was ready to sell me something today.

The brand new Rogue kinda had the same layout and features on the dash and cluster panel of the Subaru. Are they owned by the same company? Or maybe it's a Japan design or something.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Wow. It just looks smaller I guess. Thanks, Bazza.
You're more than welcome, Jessica. I'm no expert - but there's a lot of info online that is useful.

You strike me as more of a Suby girl than a Nissan girl, FWIW. Your puppies would probably dig the Suby more as well.

And I have no "dog in the hunt"...pun intended! :)

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

You're more than welcome, Jessica. I'm no expert - but there's a lot of info online that is useful.

You strike me as more of a Suby girl than a Nissan girl, FWIW. Your puppies would probably dig the Suby more as well.

And I have no "dog in the hunt"...pun intended! :)

Haha. Thanks. The dude at Subaru did tell me to look at videos so when I get time I'm going to sit down and do that.

And I want something more sporty than luxury. I don't like all the buttons and technology in the new vehicles. There are certain things of course that I want power seats (can't believe that isn't something standard on lower trim levels), Bluetooth, but navigation and lane assist, etc. just don't want. Too much stuff that can tear up.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I did raise them up some and it helped. I didn't really try to adjust them back, but I had my hair up so I think it was my ponytail getting in the way. Ha.

The MPG gauge on the new year models are on the digital screen in the middle of the cluster. I stopped in a parking lot to play with everything, and I couldn't get it off there. The people over on a Subaru forum said you can't take it off the screen. That thing is really annoying but I would get used to it.
I suppose I've just learned to ignore, since I don't see it any more...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I also decided to head over to the Nissan dealership after I ran my errands so I didn't have much time, but I wanted to look at the Murano and Pathfinder and Rogue. I sat in the Rogue and it was roomy, but too small in the cargo area I think. I didn't get a chance to sit in the Murano, but I'm going to go test drive an used one in Cullman this week. The guy asked me what was stopping me from buying today and what I wanted for my GMC, and how much monthly payment I wanted to stay at haha. He was ready to sell me something today.

The brand new Rogue kinda had the same layout and features on the dash and cluster panel of the Subaru. Are they owned by the same company? Or maybe it's a Japan design or something.
Nissans, like Jeeps, don't have sterling reliability ratings. Subaru has one of the best and also holds its resale value better than almost any other make...

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Y'all sound like a bunch of car salesmen to this poor girl.

Beware Jessica - they're vultures, I'm tellin ya!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

No, they are not. At one time, there was a relationship, but it's long and complicated, Japanese-style. No relationship has existed for at least 15 years or so. Subaru is part of Fuji Heavy Industries. There is a relationship between FHI and Toyota. In fact, all Japanese-made Camry's are made by Subaru (not the American models)...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Y'all sound like a bunch of car salesmen to this poor girl.

Beware Jessica - they're vultures, I'm tellin ya!
The only thing she's reported which sounds like car salesman talk came from the Nissan guy: "What will it take for you to buy today?" "How much can you afford a month?" If they can get you thinking along those lines, they've hooked you...

Edit: Add the "There was a lady by looking at it today and I think she'll buy it, if you don't." Real estate salespeople use some of these same tricks...

Last edited:

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
........ Add the "There was a lady by looking at it today and I think she'll buy it, if you don't." ...
I can't add any advice that others haven't already given except this.....use your head, not your heart. There is always, absolutely always, another car for sale. Be certain before you buy.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
The only thing she's reported which sounds like car salesman talk came from the Nissan guy: "What will it take for you to buy today?" "How much can you afford a month?" If they can get you thinking along those lines, they've hooked you...

Edit: Add the "There was a lady by looking at it today and I think she'll buy it, if you don't." Real estate salespeople use some of these same tricks...
The few times I've been to a dealership looking for a new car and they started that "today" crap was when I left. Seinfeld had an episode when he was trying to get a couple back together. He said "What's it going to take to put you two in his relationship today?" :)

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Nissans, like Jeeps, don't have sterling reliability ratings. Subaru has one of the best and also holds its resale value better than almost any other make...
If resale value is important to you, consider Toyota. My Tacoma at two years old blue books for what I originally paid :eek: The two vehicles I had directly before this one were a highlander and a 4Runner. They both held their value very well as well.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If resale value is important to you, consider Toyota. My Tacoma at two years old blue books for what I originally paid :eek: The two vehicles I had directly before this one were a highlander and a 4Runner. They both held their value very well as well.
Toyotas do also. I have one of each...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.