Negotiating a used car deal

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
So I hear talks on other message boards about MSRP and dealer invoice. I see some people offer 2-5% below dealer invoice, and they get it. Is this the basic principle of car buying?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So I hear talks on other message boards about MSRP and dealer invoice. I see some people offer 2-5% below dealer invoice, and they get it. Is this the basic principle of car buying?
The dealers get rebates and make money through rebates from the manufacturer, even when they sell below invoice. This is especially true, when there is a big sale or push by the company. One little hint about Toyotas - All of them bought in this area have to be bought from a distributor in Jacksonville, FL. The local dealer commented to me once "Gotta pay the middleman." This can add up to $2500 on an invoice, under various terminology. That deal stops at the TN line, so those vehicles bought in TN tend to be a little cheaper. This is watered down some with used vehicles, but it's still there. This was true a few years ago. IDK if the deal has changed or not...

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
All Toyotas are bought from a distributor , either individually owned or a division of TMS USA. All have some fees or charges and though they do differ, it usually is a much smaller variance (approx. 300 +/-). Each district also has incentives from Toyota to incentivize the dealer and distributor to move appropriate models (keep the plants humming). Southeast Toyota, (Al, Ga, Fla, SC and NC) have led the nation in sales volume ever year except 1 since 1968 almost 25% of national sales annually. Bottom line is if it's within driving distance check with other districts but look local first--SET like the SEC wins most (not all) of the time. Use Edmunds.com for invoice and incentive pricing. The dealer is free to price wherever but this gets you a base line estimate.
Some dealers also do price leaders (selling at a loss or bait and switch) then the will gig you on add ons and accessories. Don't be afraid to make an unrealistic, no way price when you get the "buy today pitch ". Every dealer can (but sometimes won't) beat another dealers price so don't feel bad to ask for a price match. When you find a good one , try your best to be loyal. It will mean a lot to each of you in the future. Knowledge is power ! Ignorance is expensive :)

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Earl, Toyota currently owns somewhere around 20% of Subaru and a large amount of the US Camrys are assembled in Subaru's Lafayette, Indiana plant. They also share business philosophy, engineering and many suppliers. That may be the reason you're so happy with both models. :wink:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earl, Toyota currently owns somewhere around 20% of Subaru and a large amount of the US Camrys are assembled in Subaru's Lafayette, Indiana plant. They also share business philosophy, engineering and many suppliers. That may be the reason you're so happy with both models. :wink:
In addition to the Camry's being built by FHI, I was aware of the partial stake of Toyota. I never said that extended to US-built Camrys, although the AC on those hasn't really measured up to the home-built ones. On the distributorships, I've found a marked difference on identical models between AL and TN, although I'd much rather buy AL...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.