JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Rating the 2016 SEC recruiting classes
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
February 4th, 2016 02:04 AM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Feb. 4, 2016 1. Alabama Key signings: OL Jonah Williams, LB Ben Davis, OL Charles Baldwin Underrated: TE Irvin Smith, DL Jamar King Total talent level (Ex, Vg, Av, Fr, Pr): Ex Needs filled: Ex Analysis: The addition of Jamar King at the last moment brought Alabama up to a […]

Read More Here

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Good read Jess. Surprising to me is how LSU looked so good going into signing day and ending up third in the SEC West. But more surprising was the poor showing of Coach Mac at Florida. Regardless of just filling needs he more than anyone should know the value of good recruiting. Given his geographical location and how well they exceeded expectations last year on the field I thought Florida would sign a consensus top 5 class. He really has some work to do in that area IMHO.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Good read Jess. Surprising to me is how LSU looked so good going into signing day and ending up third in the SEC West. But more surprising was the poor showing of Coach Mac at Florida. Regardless of just filling needs he more than anyone should know the value of good recruiting. Given his geographical location and how well they exceeded expectations last year on the field I thought Florida would sign a consensus top 5 class. He really has some work to do in that area IMHO.
On paper Florida's recruiting class may not be graded as high as others....but Florida had to take 3 QB's this year along with a kicker, which diverted schollys and recruiting effort away form other positions. I don't remember having a year Florida had to fill that many players at those positions, but that's the hand they were dealt this season.

Florida also had a 4 star DT recruit committed....who flipped to FSU on NSD after he had already made his mind up two weeks prior.......but under advice from FSU coach Brad Lawing....strung the Gators along to hoodwink them in thinking they had the commitment at this key defensive position filled. That's pretty screwy if you ask me...but goes with the territory, I guess.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Florida recruiting class, given the gaps they had from last year on offense. IMHO, the only position that was a bit weak - was that on the defensive line. But feel the additions of DB's along with much improved offense will overcome those on DL.

Probably be another year Florida won't compete for the SEC East.

Flying under the radar.....not always a bad thing.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Also, not mentioned was the recruitment of 4 star WR Tyrie Cleveland, who on NSD flipped to Florida from his original commit to Houston.

Ranked 52 overall in the ESPN 300....this was a huge get...this kid is scary fast and could be the next Percy Harvin!

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The concern with Florida is they did not sign enough O linemen.
IMHO, Florida will be fine in that position. You have to remember with the right QB the OL doesn't have to be the strongest in the league.

Another comment about Florida and this year's recruiting class...what has been the biggest missing component since Urban Meyer left......is a decent quarterback. Last year Will Grier was the guy.....and until his self-detonation......Florida was on track to getting their offensive identity back. Then they had to go to their second string QB who was not built for their style offense and largely because of this....they ended up doing very poorly in their remaining games. The QB (Treon Harris) was one that CJM inherited from the previous head coach, and everyone tried to make the most out of what they had.

So fast forward to this year. At the QB position, Grier is gone and Harris is now headed into a different position on the team and Florida has four "new" QB's who will be available to play. My contention is with this much new talent at that position, Florida will be in a very good position to compete again for the SEC East title and perhaps more.

The new QB's include transfers Luke Del Rio, Austin Appleby, and recruits Kyle Trask and Felipe Franks. All of these QB's are skilled and highly regarded at that position.

IMHO, what makes all of this work is having such a great offensive minded staff and also that Florida now has some serious weapons on offense who in conjunction with a decent QB will help Florida's offense head back in the right direction.

Of course, until we get to the first couple games of 2016, there's no telling how things will pan out. But this is my perspective on why Florida has really put themselves in position for success this coming season, despite any recruitment opinions.

From left to right: Franks, Trask, Del Rio, Appleby...and Harry Gornto.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Last year at this time Florida only had 6 on OL. :eek:

This year's depth looking good:

5 QBs
4 RBs
13 WRs
4 TEs
16 OL

6 DTs
10 DEs
8 LBs
15 DBs

One are that is a little weak is at LB, as Jess pointed out.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Last year at this time Florida only had 6 on OL. :eek:

This year's depth looking good:

5 QBs
4 RBs
13 WRs
4 TEs
16 OL

6 DTs
10 DEs
8 LBs
15 DBs

One are that is a little weak is at LB, as Jess pointed out.
Bazza, did they move some players from other positions to get to 16 OL?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Nice posts Bazza and certainly I understand your optimism. Saban came to the Capstone and had to piece together a recruiting class the first year because he started late. I think the next year we brought in the number one recruiting class and did not look back. The results, well, we all know the story.

My point is that coach Mac knows this. He has a bevy of talent a stones throw away from the campus. Yea, I understand you need a QB but you take the best athletes no matter what the position. Mac knows this as well. I am just surprised that he did not key on recruiting the day he set foot on campus to insure an annual infusion of top talent from local Florida high schools. Supreme talent + supreme coaching = consistent winning.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Bazza, did they move some players from other positions to get to 16 OL?
Moro....a lot of shuffling throughout last year's season but not really changing from other position groups. Just a lot of freshmen and sophomores. I just double-checked and there's actually 19 OL players listed on Florida's 2016 roster, so some decent depth there now.

1 Fr
7 RFr
3 So
4 RSo
1 Jr
2 RJr
1 Sr

The freshmen and sophomores really stepped up last year and I think this coming season they can effectively build on last year's playing time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The perception is that Florida missed out on a few targets because they flipped on NSD, but Florida still had a great class and seems to have met all of its critical needs. Now they just have to be coached up.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Nice posts Bazza and certainly I understand your optimism. Saban came to the Capstone and had to piece together a recruiting class the first year because he started late. I think the next year we brought in the number one recruiting class and did not look back. The results, well, we all know the story.

My point is that coach Mac knows this. He has a bevy of talent a stones throw away from the campus. Yea, I understand you need a QB but you take the best athletes no matter what the position. Mac knows this as well. I am just surprised that he did not key on recruiting the day he set foot on campus to insure an annual infusion of top talent from local Florida high schools. Supreme talent + supreme coaching = consistent winning.

Fair point and I understand where you are coming from Cool Breeze.....there are many who feel Florida didn't do as well as they should have and I get that.

I still think Florida will be fine this season and will only improve....building on the platform CJM built last season.

We'll see what happens but yeah I'm optimistic....part of my nature I guess. :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The perception is that Florida missed out on a few targets because they flipped on NSD, but Florida still had a great class and seems to have met all of its critical needs. Now they just have to be coached up.

Thanks B1G.

Florida has 13 EE as well so those players are off to a head start to get "coached up".

Should be another fantastic year for all of us....can't wait!

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Moro....a lot of shuffling throughout last year's season but not really changing from other position groups. Just a lot of freshmen and sophomores. I just double-checked and there's actually 19 OL players listed on Florida's 2016 roster, so some decent depth there now.

1 Fr
7 RFr
3 So
4 RSo
1 Jr
2 RJr
1 Sr

The freshmen and sophomores really stepped up last year and I think this coming season they can effectively build on last year's playing time.
Nice to hear Bazza. I know they had a couple of outstanding freshman OL players. Since I live here in Florida, the Gators are my SECOND favorite team so I hope they do well in the east.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Nice to hear Bazza. I know they had a couple of outstanding freshman OL players. Since I live here in Florida, the Gators are my SECOND favorite team so I hope they do well in the east.
Thanks Moro.....I feel the same way about the Crimson Tide!

Hope we play each other again next season in Atlanta! :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.