Going to throw out some random observations here...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I didn't have a good place to put any of this in the two stories we just put up, so here it is in message board form. Comments welcome:

1) If Jamar King doesn't join this class late, I don't think I would have ranked it ahead of Florida State's. Having King in the mix gives Alabama a possibility in regards to replacing the flex DE/T position Jarran Reed held down. Rebuilding the DL is going to be a challenge anyway. I shudder to think of what would be happening had Jonathan Allen gone to the pros and then Simmons still picked MSU. King tamps down a lot of the angst.

2) Irvin Smith is a huge get at TE. Talking about tight end at Alabama requires first the understanding that UA actually has two positions, Y and H. Hentges started at Y in the bowl game, which means four guys started there this year: Howard (mostly played H), Greene, Ball, Hentges. Dwight was also available I don't think Forristall is ready for Y this year and may never be. The Y going into next year is going to be Hentges and, had Smith not come onboard, who knows. Dwight went back to DL. Greene will at least compete for the RT slot and doesn't have the footwork to be a true tight end. Ball didn't get it done in the first half of the season last year, and Howard has never been a natural Y. So getting Smith is a big deal. That gives Alabama two "pure" tight ends who aren't converted DLs.

3) I think news of the Ole Miss investigation definitely hurt them. With that not out there, I don't think they lose both Simmons and Carter. They still held most of their class together but where this investigation will really hit them is with the 2016-2017 kids unless there's a fast end to the query. For Alabama to get both of OM's top CB targets (Carter, Knott) is huge regardless.

4) I'm about ready to say Bret Bielema is the second-best coach in the SEC West because he darn sure doesn't do himself any favors in recruiting. Nice class from Arkansas this year but they fell further behind everyone besides MSU.

5) Was told Dan Mullen really tried to get out of Starkville this year because he knew Dak Prescott was responsible for most of their success. Mullen's coaching job in 2015 was one of the best you'll see in this league: No running game, gutted OL, one special WR yet they still made a lot of people nervous. Unless the new QB turns out to be something unexpected, they're going to backslide in a big way. This recruiting class was not what they needed.

6) I've learned to hold my tongue on Auburn QBs until I actually see them play, because I never would have given Nick Marshall a snowball's chance. I will say this, however: If the new QB can't play right out of the gate, AU will probably change coaches in the offseason. Auburn's class didn't do nearly enough to address issues in the back seven of its defense and RB depth will be an issue. Mostly, though, I don't know how they whiffed so badly on OL recruiting.

7) It's something when you look at Florida State and Ohio State, the two non-SEC teams that got the closest to Alabama, and notice how much further out away from them Alabama was in regards to the top end of the class. The only way anyone's going to catch Saban right now is if a situation pops up like this year, where Alabama lost out on just about every one of its top DL targets, and doesn't have a Plan B. Having said that, the thought of Saban without a Plan B (or Plans C-Z) makes me chuckle. When Plan B in this case means a guy who could be Jarran Reed's equal it's time to just go ahead and give up, if you're working against the man.

8) For next year, Alabama's top targets have to be DT, WR, RB. We're going to appreciate one day just how lucky the 2015 team was in regards to injury at both WR and RB and I'd rather not keep betting on that.

9) Nice first effort from Kirby Smart. Will Muschamp? Eh. Did a good job bringing in more base athleticism but I'm not sure at the end of the day that Kentucky's class won't be better, *IF* the Wildcats do a better job with development. Steve Spurrier left at the right time.

10) Lastly, I will admit that I used to be a full-bore recruiting junkie when we first moved from BamaNation.com to TideFans.com, and for about the first five years after that. But the kids themselves have poisoned the process to a large degree. Reliable information prior to Signing Day is just about impossible to come by, and that's no fault of the writers and site owners who do hard work trying to get it right. You've got kids just playing the media for fun, committing to multiple schools at once (Simmons, for instance, committed to UA staff this week before signing with MSU; what do you do?), etc. However, recruiting is still the lifeblood of the program and still the most important thing that will happen between the end of the season and the start of fall camp.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
While it's clearly different, I felt we had the #1 recruiting class Monday after the CFB championship with so many of our players returning instead of going to the nfl.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
10) Lastly, I will admit that I used to be a full-bore recruiting junkie when we first moved from BamaNation.com to TideFans.com, and for about the first five years after that. But the kids themselves have poisoned the process to a large degree. Reliable information prior to Signing Day is just about impossible to come by, and that's no fault of the writers and site owners who do hard work trying to get it right. You've got kids just playing the media for fun, committing to multiple schools at once (Simmons, for instance, committed to UA staff this week before signing with MSU; what do you do?), etc. However, recruiting is still the lifeblood of the program and still the most important thing that will happen between the end of the season and the start of fall camp.

You guys who try to stay on top of recruiting do an amazing job under the circumstances. At some point each January I shake my head and wonder how can anyone make any sense of all the mixed signals out there. A job well done to you guys and a job I would not want.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks, Jess!

You guys do an awesome job and run the best board on the web! :cool:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I'm guessing edge rushers will be a priority for the next class as well. Jess raised a great point on offensive skill depth - injuries and attrition left us woefully thin at WR and RB.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
5) Was told Dan Mullen really tried to get out of Starkville this year because he knew Dak Prescott was responsible for most of their success. Mullen's coaching job in 2015 was one of the best you'll see in this league: No running game, gutted OL, one special WR yet they still made a lot of people nervous. Unless the new QB turns out to be something unexpected, they're going to backslide in a big way. This recruiting class was not what they needed.

Agree 100%!. I picked them to go 4-8. Can't believe they went 9-4.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Good stuff, Jess. Agree that Auburn did a poor job of addressing needs but they still end up with a top 10 class when its all said and done. IF they can improve on the disaster known as Jeremy Johnson I think they could be the sleeper in the West next year. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Great read Jess. Glad to hear the comments on King and Smith. It still amazes me how the last two pieces of the puzzle completed the process so precisely. But then again, this is Saban we are talking about.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
appreciate your comments on this years recruiting class, and the effort put forth. I have been reading that bama still has one more opening, and that coach is wanting another receiver. some have mentioned Demetrius Robertson as still being available, is any of this accurate. thanks

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Richard Mullaney contributed mightily last year in the clutch many times. Would be nice if we could get another graduate transfer like him this year to fill thr remaining spot.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I would blame the media, or mainly ESPN, more then the kids. Crowning recruiting national champs, which is just stupid IMO. Pampering and pandering to these high school kids by broadcasting their decisions, even bringing some into the studio which I'm sure came with a nice free hotel stay and plane tickets. Having whole media teams from multiple organizations and websites that devote themselves to following these kids around for their last 2 years of high school, living and dying on every little move they make just inflates their egos. These kids are treated like a-class celebrities before they have even touch a ball at the college level.

It makes me smile knowing that these kids come out of this process thinking they are the greatest thing ever, only to arrive on campus and quickly find out that they are #6 on the depth chart. That may sound cruel but, for some reason it makes me laugh.

Last edited:
7) It's something when you look at Florida State and Ohio State, the two non-SEC teams that got the closest to Alabama, and notice how much further out away from them Alabama was in regards to the top end of the class. The only way anyone's going to catch Saban right now is if a situation pops up like this year, where Alabama lost out on just about every one of its top DL targets, and doesn't have a Plan B. Having said that, the thought of Saban without a Plan B (or Plans C-Z) makes me chuckle. When Plan B in this case means a guy who could be Jarran Reed's equal it's time to just go ahead and give up, if you're working against the man.
Great write up, Jess. You confirmed my suspicions with this one though. Love the insight with this class.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Agree 100%!. I picked them to go 4-8. Can't believe they went 9-4.
Wheels fall off this season though.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL
3) I think news of the Ole Miss investigation definitely hurt them. With that not out there, I don't think they lose both Simmons and Carter. They still held most of their class together but where this investigation will really hit them is with the 2016-2017 kids unless there's a fast end to the query. For Alabama to get both of OM's top CB targets (Carter, Knott) is huge regardless.

In the same vein, Ole Miss is really in trouble on the defensive side. Most of their misses were defensive players, and what they did get were 3-star players.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
8) For next year, Alabama's top targets have to be DT, WR, RB. We're going to appreciate one day just how lucky the 2015 team was in regards to injury at both WR and RB and I'd rather not keep betting on that
I agree with the priority. One good thing is we have three 2017 commits at RB already and they are all top 10 nationally and one is the #1 RB. Not sure we will hold on to all three but we will keep two.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Jess,

In regards to #10 and Simmons not signing, do you have any insights as to the King and Kongbo recruitment? In the last month, board "group think" seemed to indicate Kongbo was the best possible JC choice as he was rated so high and King's JC ratings were substantially lower. It seemed that Kongbo's recruitment went cold for some reason in the week leading up to NSD. Yet we still went hard after King and signed him in the end. I suppose there could be a few reasons that affected the outcome of getting King and not Kongbo:
1. We thought we had a good probability in signing Simmons or other HS DE (and a 4-year Simmons was better than a 2-year Kongbo);
2. Coaches actually liked King's potential better than Kongbo (or King better fit our system);
3. Perhaps King was willing to wait for Alabama to better determine how many HS defensive linemen it would get....and Kongbo was not willing to work with Alabama;
4. Or, maybe all along Kongbo wasn't really that interested in Alabama...and King was?

RTR

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
CNS met Kongbo and decided he was too small for DE and would probably be a Jack. We felt good about Hall for Jack, and therefore went with a bigger body for DE in Simmons and King.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
In response to #10, I usually am full bore in recruiting mode during the off-season especially. The last few years I've been too busy with work to be quite as active, and it's become tough to stomach the process and spend my free time doing it. As you said, the recruits have become more and more enamoured with themselves each year. Between their attitude, the recruiting land scape, and everyone mudslinging I figured I was done with it.

This year during the off-season, I've been recovering from two back surgeries. It gave me the chance to do some late research, and try to get back in to it. You know what I've found? Recruiting hasn't changed that much for the worse necessarily, but as I get older I just look at these young men differently. I took a better perspective, and it made this year a bit more fun.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Jess,

In regards to #10 and Simmons not signing, do you have any insights as to the King and Kongbo recruitment? In the last month, board "group think" seemed to indicate Kongbo was the best possible JC choice as he was rated so high and King's JC ratings were substantially lower. It seemed that Kongbo's recruitment went cold for some reason in the week leading up to NSD. Yet we still went hard after King and signed him in the end. I suppose there could be a few reasons that affected the outcome of getting King and not Kongbo:
1. We thought we had a good probability in signing Simmons or other HS DE (and a 4-year Simmons was better than a 2-year Kongbo);
2. Coaches actually liked King's potential better than Kongbo (or King better fit our system);
3. Perhaps King was willing to wait for Alabama to better determine how many HS defensive linemen it would get....and Kongbo was not willing to work with Alabama;
4. Or, maybe all along Kongbo wasn't really that interested in Alabama...and King was?

RTR
As was already said, Kongbo has trouble against power running games. Alabama needed the guy who can play over the A and B gaps, which turned out to be King. I think Kongbo's listed weight may be a bit generous. Kongbo wanted a UA offer and nearly got one anyway, but here's another case where late in the process, a family member got really interested in Ole Miss. That, coupled with the physical traits, probably torpedoed any chance of it happening here.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.