News Article: Kevin Turner's son to play safety at Clemson

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Happy that Dabo is giving him a shot.

Really sad to watch that video from 2010 and look at the pictures from 2015 and see what that horrible disease can do in 5 short years

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
It's hard to believe how the disease had taken over him. I have a poster from my first year at Bama in 91, he and the seniors were on it. My prayers go out to him. It's a sad story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Happy that Dabo is giving him a shot.

Really sad to watch that video from 2010 and look at the pictures from 2015 and see what that horrible disease can do in 5 short years
You see the ESPN show they did about him? It was filmed over a period of months and you could see his decline from the start to the end. One scene had him visiting an ALS patient who was near the end. It had to be hard for him to do that knowing it was his fate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasTider

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 6, 2004
What's sad is that after reading a story like this on Dabo there will still be those on here that have so much venom towards him. Really a shame.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
From the article:

“Dabo told Nolan that once Clemson offered, he’d hear from other schools. And he was right,” Raymond said. “Coach (Nick) Saban was at the school and Nolan went to meet with him. After they talked, Nolan told him his mind was already made up. He had given his word, and I respect that he’s a man that wants to honor his commitment.”

Nolan had already made up his mind.
“Coach Saban told me they still had a place for me to play there, not with an athletic scholarship, but maybe with some academic money,” Nolan said. “I told him I appreciated the opportunity, but my heart was set on going to Clemson.”

Now, how would this have worked out? Would he have been a walk-on with an academic scholarship?

Oh, well. I'm glad it worked out for this young man. If his dad had played for Coach Bryant, he would have had an academic scholarship, I believe. I'm NOT a Clemson fan, but I'll be looking forward to seeing him play in the future.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
What's sad is that after reading a story like this on Dabo there will still be those on here that have so much venom towards him. Really a shame.
Not sure I get the comment. How would this story impact one's view of Dabo one way or the other. He did nothing here to warrant criticism, but also did nothing to warrant special praise other than support a friend in time of need.

Dabo made a similar offer to the kid that Bama initially made, as a preferred walkon. But then his 2 starting safeties unexpectedly declared for the nfl and left him with a big hole in his recruiting class. Dabo is a great recruiter, but even he could not pull a top rated safety out of thin air in just a few weeks. He literally had to have a safety in this class, so he went to the kid he was trying to get to walk on and offered him a D1 scholarship. This was a needs-based offer that happened to have a feel-good story attached, but the truth is that had just one of the 2 safeties not declared for the nfl, Dabo does not make this offer and the kid probably goes elsewhere. Good for Dabo for standing by his friend. Good for clemson for turning a bad recruiting situation (losing safeties and having to sign a not-so-highly regarded safety in the midst of a great recruiting class) into a positive PR story.

Al A Bama - I believe if the kid took academic money he could not play football, else it would count against the 85 schollie limit. A friend of mine's kid went thru this same thing. Bama offered him to walk on without money, but he was also eligible for some type of Bear Bryant scholarship for kids of former players (his dad played for Bear), but if he took the Bryant scholarship money he could not walk on to the football team. He ended up going to a lower division school on scholarship so he could play and get scholarship money.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Al A Bama - I believe if the kid took academic money he could not play football, else it would count against the 85 schollie limit. A friend of mine's kid went thru this same thing. Bama offered him to walk on without money, but he was also eligible for some type of Bear Bryant scholarship for kids of former players (his dad played for Bear), but if he took the Bryant scholarship money he could not walk on to the football team. He ended up going to a lower division school on scholarship so he could play and get scholarship money.
Someone with a deeper knowledge of how this works today can correct me - but I think in the past someone could be on another type of scholarship and be on the "team" as long as they are in their redshirt year. As soon as they see playing time the scholarship has to be counted toward the 85.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Someone with a deeper knowledge of how this works today can correct me - but I think in the past someone could be on another type of scholarship and be on the "team" as long as they are in their redshirt year. As soon as they see playing time the scholarship has to be counted toward the 85.
I'm pretty sure anyone who is on scholarship counts toward the 85 limit.

I know in most collegiate sports, those scholarships can be spread across multiple athletes. For example, I believe men's track and cross country only gets 11 scholarships. Some of the athletes on the team get full scholarships, but others may only get partial ones. Baseball does the same thing with their scholarships, or at least they did when I was there back in 2000.

I don't know about the Bryant Scholarship, but I do know that athletes who play multiple sports count against the scholarship limit for every sport they play. So a football player who also runs track would take up a scholarship in both sports regardless of the sport that awarded him the scholarship.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Some here don't particularly care for Dabo for various reasons. It's a shame you use this as an opportunity to take a shot instead of just being happy for this young man.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not sure I get the comment. How would this story impact one's view of Dabo one way or the other. He did nothing here to warrant criticism, but also did nothing to warrant special praise other than support a friend in time of need.

Dabo made a similar offer to the kid that Bama initially made, as a preferred walkon. But then his 2 starting safeties unexpectedly declared for the nfl and left him with a big hole in his recruiting class. Dabo is a great recruiter, but even he could not pull a top rated safety out of thin air in just a few weeks. He literally had to have a safety in this class, so he went to the kid he was trying to get to walk on and offered him a D1 scholarship. This was a needs-based offer that happened to have a feel-good story attached, but the truth is that had just one of the 2 safeties not declared for the nfl, Dabo does not make this offer and the kid probably goes elsewhere. Good for Dabo for standing by his friend. Good for clemson for turning a bad recruiting situation (losing safeties and having to sign a not-so-highly regarded safety in the midst of a great recruiting class) into a positive PR story.

They could walk on, even if they were playing another sport. However, if they played, they automatically counted against the 85 limit. Also, IIRC, they also counted against the current annual limit that year...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.