Remaining Schedule and Chances of Post Season Play

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Our RPI was 41 going into the MSU game Tuesday and as I look it up now it is 48 so we are in striking distance. Hopefully State will go on a run and help our RPI. We need to win a game or 2 we are not supposed to win and beat all of the teams we should beat plus on top of that we have to win at least 2 in the SEC tourney. In addition to that the committee will have give bids to at least 6 to 7 in the SEC. We are more than likely destined for the NIT which would a more than successful season in my mind.

Here is our remaining schedule:
02/06/16
vs. Missouri *

Tuscaloosa, Ala.
2:00 p.m. CT
02/10/16
vs. Texas A&M *

Tuscaloosa, Ala.
6:00 p.m. CT
02/13/16
at Florida *

Gainesville, Fla.
4:30 p.m. CT
02/17/16
at LSU *

Baton Rouge, La.
8:00 p.m. CT
02/20/16
vs. Mississippi State *

Tuscaloosa, Ala.
1:30 p.m. CT
02/23/16
at Kentucky *

Lexington, Ky.
6:00 p.m. CT
02/27/16
vs. Auburn *

Tuscaloosa, Ala.
4:00 p.m. CT
03/02/16
vs. Arkansas *

Tuscaloosa, Ala.
8:00 p.m. CT
03/05/16
at Georgia *

Athens, Ga.
3:00 p.m. CT

We need to beat Missouri, State, Auburn, Arkansas, and Georgia. We need to split (2-2) with A&M, Florida, LSU and UK. If we do that we we'll end up 10-8 in conference play and we'll be 20-12 going into the tourney. We win 2 in the tourney and I think we are in. Do I think it will be easy? Absolutely not, but if we have a few things fall our way we at least have shot. Considering in the past 5 years we pretty much knew in December that we had no shot at the tourney, I'd say this year so far has been a rousing success. We are into February and can at least still talk about having a chance to play our way in. We also have to have Kessens and Hale back healthy to have a prayer of any of this though.

BTW, There will be recruits there Saturday so be as rowdy as possible.

Buckle up and Roll Tide.

Last edited:

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
Great assessment, but just feels really really tough at this point! I'm kinda feeling NIT and make a run there! I would say up to this point our team is over achieving and that has to be noticed by recruits! Gotta keep fighting!!!!

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
At the start of the season I was thinking the NIT was a good target. At the end of pre-conference play, I thought Bama would end up 10-8 in the conference and would squeak in the NCAA. I figured on winning at least one of the Vandy, Ole Miss, or AU road games (especially AU) and beating LSU in Tuscaloosa. Losing all of these put Bama in the hole and now there are injuries to worry about.

When game time comes (any game), I always expect Alabama to win that specific game; I don't just pull for them, I convince myself they will win...can't help it.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We have too many bumps and bruises. Our two best scorers are Retin and Hale who are as consistent as a roulette wheel.

Gonna be tough to make it to either. But man oh man, next year ought to be a wild ride

Oldtider1

Dec 1, 2015
Has there been any news about Hale and Kessens? With them I believe the Tide "could" make a run, but without them both even the NIT looks problematic.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Has there been any news about Hale and Kessens? With them I believe the Tide "could" make a run, but without them both even the NIT looks problematic.
I would be ecstatic if we made th NIT after the injuries we have had this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Love the effort from this team but any post season play ( including NIT) is doubtful. See us finishing 4-5 these last nine games at best. Roster is just too thin and too many injuries. That would put Bama at 16-14 overall and 7-11 in the league before the SEC Tournament.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
we have a shot at the NIT..the key IMO is winning a couple SEC tourney games. finish as strong as possible. the thing about our coach is he has a system that works. The injuries arent hurting us as bad as under the previous coach because of the system. We just need better players in that system. The results will come.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Earl, based on what you have seen so far, how long will it take CAJ to replenish the roster and start making serious noise in the bball landscape?

Basketball is a little easier to replenish than football. Next year should be dramatically different as we will have Nick King and AJjr (both redshirt transfers) as well as the two signees (Key and the JUCO kid) plus at least two more signees, one of which should be top 10 recruit Terrance Ferguson. I posted this in another thread and I will restate it here, it would not surprise me to have an entirely different starting 5 next year than this year. Dazon Ingram and Shannon Hale are probably the only guys that started this year that I could see starting next year. Here is just an opinion of what the depth chart might be next year:

PG - Dazon Ingram, Justin Coleman, Avery Johnson Jr., Austin Schaffer
SG - Terrance Ferguson, Brandon Austin
SF - Nick King, Riley Norris, Armond Davis
PF - Shannon Hale, Braxton Key, Michael Kessens
C - Donta Hall, Jimmy Taylor

There could possibly be a defection or two. It would not surprise me if Kessens left which would open up another scholarship. We don't know if AJjr is on scholly or not so there may be one more scholarship available. I keep hearing the name Bruno Fernando as someone that we are very interested in that could possibly sign with us and be available next year. I believe he would be a C/PF type that would push for starting time immediately.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Love the effort from this team but any post season play ( including NIT) is doubtful. See us finishing 4-5 these last nine games at best. Roster is just too thin and too many injuries. That would put Bama at 16-14 overall and 7-11 in the league before the SEC Tournament.
Unfortunately I agree with you. We have shown that we can play with anyone in this league and if several of our guys are hot at the same time we can beat anyone. But that seems to rarely happen and we have to rely too much on Retin. He has been a beast but he needs help. The injuries to Hale, Coleman, and Kessens are killing us, not to mention that injury to Dazon. With Dazon and a mostly injury-free roster then I think we could have been dancing at the end of the season which is truly remarkable given the limitations of the roster that CAJ inherited.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Have some faith guys. We just need to stay healthy and with the Norris has coming along with Hale and Retin we have a shot. Probably seeing things thru my dark crimson glasses, but never say never until there is no chance. RPI will be hurt by some of the bottom feeders even if we win the games. There is a long way to go yet.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Have some faith guys. We just need to stay healthy and with the Norris has coming along with Hale and Retin we have a shot. Probably seeing things thru my dark crimson glasses, but never say never until there is no chance. RPI will be hurt by some of the bottom feeders even if we win the games. There is a long way to go yet.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride.
If this season has taught me anything, it's not to doubt this team or staff. CAJ has the players believing. That can make a dramatic difference.

After the game, Riley told Chris Stewart that CAJ didn't tell him to stop shooting when he started cold. "Makes a big difference when your coach has the faith in you and tells you to keep shooting." That thinking can carry the team a long way.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think even if Johnson is paying his kid's tuition out of his own pocket, it still counts against the scholarship limit if he plays.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I think even if Johnson is paying his kid's tuition out of his own pocket, it still counts against the scholarship limit if he plays.

I'd have to research this to know for sure but I know on the football team there have been players that have paid their own way and they do not count against the 85 total. I believe you may be thinking about players that are on academic or other type of scholarship (e.g. Bryant scholarship) which do count against the 85 if they play at any time during their first 2 years.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'd have to research this to know for sure but I know on the football team there have been players that have paid their own way and they do not count against the 85 total. I believe you may be thinking about players that are on academic or other type of scholarship (e.g. Bryant scholarship) which do count against the 85 if they play at any time during their first 2 years.
I'm sure the NCAA has some rule about walk ons. There is a difference between a "real" walk on, someone who was a good high school player but not major D1 talent who just wants to be part of the team and gets a few garbage time minutes and a guy whose dad has money and would rather pay for it himself even though the kid has the talent to start.

I lived in Knoxville when Wade Houston was the coach. His son, Alan, was the star of the team and the only reason he kept his job for five years. (They went 5-22 the first year post-Alan and got canned). I seem to recall he paid for his son's way because he made some joke about getting a bonus in his contract to cover it. Not sure if that counted against their total.

Again, I do not know so all this is just speculation on my part. It would be great if we could get an extra scholarship player out of the deal.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'm sure the NCAA has some rule about walk ons. There is a difference between a "real" walk on, someone who was a good high school player but not major D1 talent who just wants to be part of the team and gets a few garbage time minutes and a guy whose dad has money and would rather pay for it himself even though the kid has the talent to start.

I lived in Knoxville when Wade Houston was the coach. His son, Alan, was the star of the team and the only reason he kept his job for five years. (They went 5-22 the first year post-Alan and got canned). I seem to recall he paid for his son's way because he made some joke about getting a bonus in his contract to cover it. Not sure if that counted against their total.

Again, I do not know so all this is just speculation on my part. It would be great if we could get an extra scholarship player out of the deal.
I believe a team can dress 2 walk-ons in addition to the 13 scholarship players. Given that we have Lawson Schaffer and Christian Clark dressing out for each game (both played in the game yesterday) I would assume that means that AJjr is on scholarship. I think the question of AJjr comes up because we are still actively recruiting players for 2016-17 when the numbers would appear that we do not have any more scholarships to give. We will lose Retin Obosahan and Arthur Edwards to graduation and we were 1 scholarship short this season so that is 3 available slots. We've signed 2 players already and expect to sign Terrance Ferguson in April so those 3 slots are filled. We are still actively recruiting 2 or 3 big men (e.g. Bruno Fernando) so it appears that one more spot is available. I would not be surprised if Michael Kessens decided to move on after this season but that is strictly speculation on my part.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.