30 for 30: The '85 Bears

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
If you have not watched this 30 for 30 feature yet - about the '85 Chicago Bears....I highly recommend it.

I'm old enough to remember this era and it's very enjoyable to go back in time and revisit the crazy years in the NFL for this team --- when they were so dominant!

Couple clips from the film:

I wish I could find a clip about when Jim McMahon was drafted and became the starter.....hilarious and at the same time so impressive.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
If you have not watched this 30 for 30 feature yet - about the '85 Chicago Bears....I highly recommend it.

I'm old enough to remember this era and it's very enjoyable to go back in time and revisit the crazy years in the NFL for this team --- when they were so dominant!

Couple clips from the film:

I wish I could find a clip about when Jim McMahon was drafted and became the starter.....hilarious and at the same time so impressive.
I hate I missed it. I will be looking for it to come on again. It is kind of what I try to tell my son about how good the Bulls were when they went 72-10 vs. how good the Warriors are now. The Bears of 85' were loaded and mean. Since I have had a few years to reflect on just how good that team was with all the characters I can't wait to see this show about them.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I hate I missed it. I will be looking for it to come on again. It is kind of what I try to tell my son about how good the Bulls were when they went 72-10 vs. how good the Warriors are now. The Bears of 85' were loaded and mean. Since I have had a few years to reflect on just how good that team was with all the characters I can't wait to see this show about them.

Not sure when it airs again but you can Google the schedule and find out. I want to watch it again too, Con.

That Chicago defense was MEAN and NASTY!

Then the cast of characters...including William "The Fridge" Perry...those guys were rock stars! :)

Last edited:

RollTide-YNWA

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 27, 2009
Dothan
It said during the airing last night that all 30 for 30 shows are on Netflix, in case anyone subscribes to that. I haven't seen one of these shows yet that I thought wasn't very well done. I'm looking forward to watching a few of the ones I wanted to see but happened to missed.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I was a senior in HS in 85 and remember that season very well. Couldn't stand the Bears then or now but it was nice to see Walter Payton finally get a ring after so many years of playing on some horrible teams.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I was a senior in HS in 85 and remember that season very well. Couldn't stand the Bears then or now but it was nice to see Walter Payton finally get a ring after so many years of playing on some horrible teams.

Yeah he took a beating during his playing years....an absolute beating!

In the feature there's a part when Ditka calls in a run play for Payton....they line up and McMahon notices the defense is bulked way up on the side Payton is supposed to run so he changes it to a screen or something else but it goes for 9 yards and a first down and Ditka's screaming at McMahon of course but Payton goes up to McMahon and whispers to him "Hey thanks man."

Good stuff!

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Yeah he took a beating during his playing years....an absolute beating!

In the feature there's a part when Ditka calls in a run play for Payton....they line up and McMahon notices the defense is bulked way up on the side Payton is supposed to run so he changes it to a screen or something else but it goes for 9 yards and a first down and Ditka's screaming at McMahon of course but Payton goes up to McMahon and whispers to him "Hey thanks man."

Good stuff!
That seems like something Walter Payton would do too. He came across very classy. I guess there is a reason they named the NFL Man of the Year after him.

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia
I was stationed in Illinois then and was at Soldier Field the day the Bears played the Rams in the playoff. The game was all Chicago but the cake's icing happened when it started snowing. The crowd went wild thinking that Halas was himself dropping the frozen white stuff. Eric Dickerson was held in check, Sweetness was on point, and the defense was worthy of its top billing.

On a personal note, I was filmed by the NFL Films crew, cheering in the stands and for years later, showed up on TV when that great season was shown. I was before and since have been a college football fan primarily, but that one NFL season was very special.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I'm still PO'd that Ditka let Perry score instead of Payton - absolutely shameful.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I was in HS as well. Does anyone remember the "Super Bowl shuffle". Crazy, fun times.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I still have the VHS tape of the SB Shuffle...I was in NOLA for the game...Sophomore year in Tuscaloosa, easy drive down there...Great memories from that weekend...The Fridge on Bourbon St. after the game...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Hampton and Singletary looked like the years had been kind to them. McMahon and McMichael looked like they had been "rode hard and put away wet"....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Perry was a point of contention between Ditka and Ryan. Buddy Ryan thought he was a wasted pick that he didn't need on defense and flat out refused to play him. Ditka was thumbing his nose at Buddy Ryan by playing him on offense.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I'm not a huge fan of ESPN, but those 30 for 30 shows are dynamite. I have my DVR set up to automatically record the show whenever it comes on. The '85 Bears was no exception.

It's so hard to believe that's been 30 years ago. Wow.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.